COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

Gemini pivot play

I have a very small amount of side to side play in my 05 Gemini pivot.
    I thought the hub was loose because when I grabbed the top of the wheel I could feel a small amount of play in something. It turned out to be the swingarm pivot has a very slight amount of play in it. I tried to tighten it but it's tight. The pivot bolt spins freely if you just use one allen wrench and turn it. I wonder if this should spin like that?
    I looked at the manual and it covers the pivot assembly, but I don't see anywhere it say anything about shims or anything about side to side play.
    Any Gemini riders out there have any thoughts on this?
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

No good This happened to me

The exact thing happened to me after 4 hours of use, thats what I thought it was at first, so it went back to the shop where they said the frame wasnt put together properly, they tried to put spacers in there and diferent bearings as the play had caused premature wear in them, I wasnt happy about the fix as there was a gap because the new bearing werent as wide and there still was a gap with the cover on one side of the bearing cover. so I got rid of the bike. As it was the second one that I had that had problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Take it back to the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    I have a very small amount of side to side play in my 05 Gemini pivot.
    I thought the hub was loose because when I grabbed the top of the wheel I could feel a small amount of play in something. It turned out to be the swingarm pivot has a very slight amount of play in it. I tried to tighten it but it's tight. The pivot bolt spins freely if you just use one allen wrench and turn it. I wonder if this should spin like that?
    I looked at the manual and it covers the pivot assembly, but I don't see anywhere it say anything about shims or anything about side to side play.
    Any Gemini riders out there have any thoughts on this?
    That's not how it suppose to be. I checked mine last night and it is solid. Zero play. I also wouldn't try to jury-rig it either. There's something wrong with the swingarm or the pivots. Since you just got the bike it's a factory assembly or quality control issue. This is not acceptable on a new bike.

New pivot bolt coming

I called the shop and told them the problem, he then called Cannondale.

They said they had a bad "run" of pivot bolts. I guess the bolts were a little to long and bottomed out, the bolt became tight before the swing arm was tight.

I hope this takes care of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    That's not how it suppose to be. I checked mine last night and it is solid. Zero play. I also wouldn't try to jury-rig it either. There's something wrong with the swingarm or the pivots. Since you just got the bike it's a factory assembly or quality control issue. This is not acceptable on a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good to know.

I called the shop and told them the problem, he then called Cannondale.

They said they had a bad "run" of pivot bolts. I guess the bolts were a little to long and bottomed out, the bolt became tight before the swing arm was tight.

I hope this takes care of the problem.
    I'll have to check that when I order a spare pivot kit.

I checked my pivot bolt last night. It does not spin freely like yours. I'm sure I can force it to spin if I put more force into it. It takes some effort to turn the bolt.
    Last edited by racerzero; 03-16-2005 at 03:55 PM.

My bolt spins easy

My bolt spins easy, that has to be the problem.

Thanks for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    I'll have to check that when I order a spare pivot kit.

I checked my pivot bolt last night. It does not spin freely like yours. I sure I can force it to spin if I put more force into it. It takes some effort to turn the bolt.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    That is definately the problem. In the meantime you can just grind the pivot blot down a bit and it will tighten up properly. That is what I did and it worked great from that point foward.

So you had the same problem

I guess you had the same problem. It's good to know I'm not the one. I will try to grind it a little, untill I get a replacement.
    Do you know how much to grind off?
    My guess is it's so little it's realy hard to put a measurement to it. Probably just take a little off at a time and keep trying it to see if if gets tighter.

Does any of you guy know what spring rate I would need for 165 lbs.? It came with 500lbs. spring (Fox Vanilla R), I didn't get to ride it much yet. It seems plush, but I want it to be able to take big drops without bottoming out. Didn't get to do any big drops yet. I wouldn't want to with the swingarm pivot being loose.

Fox manual says not to adjust the preload more that two full turns. What I want to know is two full turns from where?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    That is definately the problem. In the meantime you can just grind the pivot blot down a bit and it will tighten up properly. That is what I did and it worked great from that point foward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Here's a guide for Fox Shox

Does any of you guy know what spring rate I would need for 165 lbs.? It came with 500lbs. spring (Fox Vanilla R), I didn't get to ride it much yet. It seems plush, but I want it to be able to take big drops without bottoming out. Didn't get to do any big drops yet. I wouldn't want to with the swingarm pivot being loose.

Remember this is a guide only. YMMV.

http://www.mojo.co.uk/springcalc.html

Fox manual says not to adjust the preload more that two full turns. What I want to know is two full turns from where?
    Thanks
    You normally count your turns from when the preload retainer just snugs up against the spring.