mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Front Mech on a Prophet 1000

Has anyone else had probs with the front mech on a Prophet 1000....LX mech; SRAM X9 shifters

When I got the bike it was not shifting perfectly.. but this morning spent two hours trying to adjust it and just couldn't.

I adjusted the "low" screw and then tightened the cable... and then adjusted the "high" screw.... BUT..... there does not seemto be enough movement from the shifters to make it work... so if the "low" is set well with the cable just tight, there is not enough movemet to reach the big ring.. but if I tighten the cable to let it pull onto the big ring, there is not enough slack to then drop it into the smallest ring.... am sure it is the cable, since the screws are positioned right.... and on a ride can make up the difference by fiddling with the barrel adjuster "on the fly"... not great though!

Don't think it is bent.. but seems strange. Any ideas? Do I need to buy a SRAM front mech? If so, seems strange that "Dale would spec this combination.

By the way, adjustment screws damn hard to get at 'cos of the swingarm!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    That sounds very wierd, as the stuff you have done is correct, and the parts are designed to play well together. It sounds dumb, but are you sure the cable is routed correctly along the cable path ramp on the derr? I ask because if, on a standard, non e type, bottom swing, front derr, if you clamp on the underside of the bolt, it completely changes the leverage ratio, making the derr act really wierdly. So... check your cable routing on the derr itself, if it slipped into an incorrect area, it would be your issue. Sounds like a leverage ratio problem to me. Good luck with it. Also, Sram has excellent tech support, if it is still a problem, it is with the shifter, call them and they will get you hooked up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Will have a look.... thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There are spacers on the outboard bearing crank. Make sure that they are installed on the proper side of the crank. The TruVativ website should have instructions.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

LA CHÈVRE
    Also check the Prophet Front Derailleur Setup Guide for proper derailleur installation. From the symptoms you describe, I don't think that this is your problem but you might just take a quick look to verify that you have the proper spacers and height position for the e-type derailleur. Mine was not correctly setup and the derailleur was hitting the frame's seat tube when shifting down to the smallest chainring...

I think MendonCycleSmith suggestions are good ones. Many Prophet 1000 owners have absolutely no issues with shifting so it's probably just a setup issue, no need to change your derailleur, especially not to a SRAM one, they don't make an e-type derailleur compatible with the Prophet.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Compulsive Bike Builder

Front derailleur adjustment screws

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B
    Has anyone else had probs with the front mech on a Prophet 1000....LX mech; SRAM X9 shifters...
    Regarding getting to those screws...

With '04 mechs, sometimes it is easier to shift the derailleur to a different position just to access the screws, then shift it back to see if it is where you want it. It is an extra step, but it can make the screws more accessible.

On Shimano's '05 e-type mechs, the cage pivot is muuuuch wider, and the adjustment screws are moved back to where they do not interfere with the swingarm, although you still need a long screwdriver to reach down there and get access to them. I installed an '05 mech on my Prophet 1000 that came with and '04, and it is a nice little upgrade.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

mtbr member

Ignore, this is for rear derailleur adjustment

Has anyone else had probs with the front mech on a Prophet 1000....LX mech; SRAM X9 shifters

When I got the bike it was not shifting perfectly.. but this morning spent two hours trying to adjust it and just couldn't.

I adjusted the "low" screw and then tightened the cable... and then adjusted the "high" screw.... BUT..... there does not seemto be enough movement from the shifters to make it work... so if the "low" is set well with the cable just tight, there is not enough movemet to reach the big ring.. but if I tighten the cable to let it pull onto the big ring, there is not enough slack to then drop it into the smallest ring.... am sure it is the cable, since the screws are positioned right.... and on a ride can make up the difference by fiddling with the barrel adjuster "on the fly"... not great though!

Don't think it is bent.. but seems strange. Any ideas? Do I need to buy a SRAM front mech? If so, seems strange that "Dale would spec this combination.

Try this:

1) First replace your cable, it may be kinked...

2) Without the derailleur cable attached set both your high and low adjustment. The limits should be set by making sure the pulley wheels are directly over the cogs.
    (Move the derailleur by hand to get it to the 34)

3) Might be a good time to set the B adjustment... Should be 1/4" (7MM) from the pully cog to the gear teeth.

4) Important! Prior to hooking up your cable make sure your shifter is been clicked to its lowest (9th) position. Else, everything will be thrown off (and may be where you're sitting right now).

5) Fully screw in your barrel nut and then back it off 2 turns.

6) Hook up your cable, until the cable is just taunt or something slightly less. Chain shoud be on the 11 cog.

7) With the chain on the middle ring, crank the pedels and start tighting the adjustment nut until the chain will shift off the 11 to the next cog. At this point keep tighting the nut until you just start to hear interference (with the next cog) and then back it off 1/2 turn.

Should be close, any other adjustment can be made on the trail by turn the adjuster two clicks in the direction needed.

Mark
    Last edited by MarkHL; 03-06-2005 at 06:27 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=MarkHL Try this:

(sorry, this is for rear derailleur adjustment, I misread your original post)

1) First replace your cable, it may be kinked...

2) Without the derailleur cable attached set both your high and low adjustment. The limits should be set by making sure the pulley wheels are directly over the cogs.
    (Move the derailleur by hand to get it to the 34)

3) Might be a good time to set the B adjustment... Should be 1/4" (7MM) from the pully cog to the gear teeth.

4) Important! Prior to hooking up your cable make sure your shifter is been clicked to its lowest (9th) position. Else, everything will be thrown off (and may be where you're sitting right now).

5) Fully screw in your barrel nut and then back it off 2 turns.

6) Hook up your cable, until the cable is just taunt or something slightly less. Chain shoud be on the 11 cog.

7) With the chain on the middle ring, crank the pedels and start tighting the adjustment nut until the chain will shift off the 11 to the next cog. At this point keep tighting the nut until you just start to hear interference (with the next cog) and then back it off 1/2 turn.

Should be close, any other adjustment can be made on the trail by turn the adjuster two clicks in the direction needed.

Mark[/QUOTE]
    Geez... you said front derailleur...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Sorted now... turned out that the mech was slightly bent as was the bracket from the BB to the mech.... one of the problems of taking bikes on planes, I guess.

Did ask for an upgrade to XT at the same time.. but the LBS only had XTR e-type in stock... what can a guy do.... put that on the credit card. Slick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Sorted now... turned out that the mech was slightly bent as was the bracket from the BB to the mech.... one of the problems of taking bikes on planes, I guess.

Did ask for an upgrade to XT at the same time.. but the LBS only had XTR e-type in stock... what can a guy do.... put that on the credit card. Slick.
    i don't think E-type XTR work on the prophet, it is something do with the cage of the XTR not able to shift some size of chainring. i could be wrong???

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by yiucycle
    i don't think E-type XTR work on the prophet, it is something do with the cage of the XTR not able to shift some size of chainring. i could be wrong???
    2004 and up XTR have the same size chainrings as XT. Older XTR on the other hand have bigger chainrings... I could be wrong too.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The mech is 2005; have not changed the chainrings.. stock from the 1000.

Seems to work.. smoothly as well.. only tried it in the car-park.. and only in FR setting too... if there is an issue when used in XC and/or in anger will have words with the LBS!