Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: devix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    26

    Front derailleur for prophet with double chainset

    Hello,

    I've replaced original triple chainset with double and have some concerns if derailleur isn't to high now (see pic), I wonder if in MX front del is on the sime height as in regular prophets...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Ridin' dirty!
    Reputation: cdalemaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,948
    You can bring it down a bit though...if you remove the derailleur you'll see some ovalbrackets in the back of it...if you unscrew those from the plate you can flip them and bring it down a bit that way... (maybe by 1/8 of an inch or so..)
    Or you just get a standard clamp on (31.8mm) which should be a problem to mount since you have plenty of room now to slide it down...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Check your limiter screws, shift it to the 2nd gear (bigger of the two) and tighten the high limiter screw so you cant overshift and go into your bashguard. From the picture it looks like you have it shifted into the non-existant 3rd chainring. The picture also looks like the chain is rubbing the inside of the derailleur which would be solved by tightening your high limiter screw.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: devix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Check your limiter screws, shift it to the 2nd gear (bigger of the two) and tighten the high limiter screw so you cant overshift and go into your bashguard. From the picture it looks like you have it shifted into the non-existant 3rd chainring. The picture also looks like the chain is rubbing the inside of the derailleur which would be solved by tightening your high limiter screw.

    Thanks, but suprisingly this is 2nd gear and H limit screw is set as you described. chain is not rubbing, shifting works OK but I think shifting from 2 to 1 may work better if derailleur was lower, but as this is E type derailleur I cannot really move it up or down...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: devix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    You can bring it down a bit though...if you remove the derailleur you'll see some ovalbrackets in the back of it...if you unscrew those from the plate you can flip them and bring it down a bit that way... (maybe by 1/8 of an inch or so..)
    Or you just get a standard clamp on (31.8mm) which should be a problem to mount since you have plenty of room now to slide it down...
    clamp-on might be way to go, but I still wonder how this is done in MX - do they have e-type or clamp-on? Prabobly will go to LBS and check it ;-)

    thanks anyway

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    505
    I have a 2x9xbashring set up on my Prophet and just use a a normal E-Type XT front derailleur with the limit screws set so it can only shift between the two chainrings. I didn't need to make any further modifications or adjustments.

  7. #7
    Avenger of Evil
    Reputation: 1440Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    I have a 2x9xbashring set up on my Prophet and just use a a normal E-Type XT front derailleur with the limit screws set so it can only shift between the two chainrings. I didn't need to make any further modifications or adjustments.
    Same here.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: devix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    Same here.
    and does the gap between bash and derailleur cage look smaller than in photo i've attached?

  9. #9
    got the dhr...
    Reputation: luseboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    425
    with my 2x9, i didn't even touch the limit screws. I just put on the bash gaurd and rode away. works fine.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by devix
    and does the gap between bash and derailleur cage look smaller than in photo i've attached?
    Probably about the same gap.. I can get a finger in there between the cage and bashring. My limit screws are set so I can only shift between the two chainrings- the shifter won't even click to where the big ring would be. I have an E13 32 tooth size bash, XT E-type front derailleur, and XTR shifters.

  11. #11
    Avenger of Evil
    Reputation: 1440Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by devix
    and does the gap between bash and derailleur cage look smaller than in photo i've attached?
    It looks the same. I would take a picture, but the Prophet is apart for spring cleaning.
    I should have it together soon.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: amillmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,423
    Well you need to tighen the High limiter screw so you dont accadentally overshift and throw your chain into your ankle. Not tightening limit screws is not exactly a good idea.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: devix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Well you need to tighen the High limiter screw so you dont accadentally overshift and throw your chain into your ankle. Not tightening limit screws is not exactly a good idea.
    well, High limit screw is almost all way down, that one you see on the front plan is actually Low limic screw...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: devix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    It looks the same. I would take a picture, but the Prophet is apart for spring cleaning.
    I should have it together soon.
    Ok, thanks guys, the reason I asked is shimano usually recomends derailleur cage to be only few milimeters above big chainring... but as there is no big chainring in 2+bash setup it is slightly confisung.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.