mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Front Derailleur for 2X9...?

I'm not sure which model XT front is on my bike now but whatever it is it's impossible to get setup right. One way it throws to the inside, the other its off to the crank side. The bike is an 03 Team Scalpel with the 2X9 hollowgram crankset. I like the 2X9 setup but i just think that the front derailleur is out of sync for the 2 gear drive.

Is there a front that will work better... perhaps even an XTR that will match the rear?

Also, do they make a 2 "click" shifter so that I can't make an attempt to go to the small ring and REALLY hose stuff.

LA CHÈVRE
    The issue isn't with the derailleur but usually with the shifters. I used to have a 2x9 setup on my hardtail but I used Gripshifts which allowed me to position the front derailleur just right. Shimano only allows the regular 3 positions of the derailleur that, on a 2x9, often means a lot of chain rub and not so great front shifting...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Has it never worked well? It should be fine, a 2x9 is just the same as a 3x9 with the granny limited out. It should be capable of functioning quite well. If it is throwing to the outside, your limit is not correctly set, and rubbing indicates improper cage alignment. If you shift your shifter dry, from the granny up to the middle, then set your cable in the pinch bolt, it will work flawlessly. If it does not, I can only recommend you go see a F derr expert, they are often a tad tricky, and require a knowledgeable touch. You cannot shift "accidentally" to the granny position if you limits are set correctly, you may trigger out the extra cable by mistake, but that will in no way cause mis-shifting. Sounds as though you are doing this yourself, and do not have the requisite experience to do it right, sorry, no insult intended, just my observation based off of your descriptions. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMetrics
    I'm not sure which model XT front is on my bike now but whatever it is it's impossible to get setup right. One way it throws to the inside, the other its off to the crank side. The bike is an 03 Team Scalpel with the 2X9 hollowgram crankset. I like the 2X9 setup but i just think that the front derailleur is out of sync for the 2 gear drive.

Is there a front that will work better... perhaps even an XTR that will match the rear?

Also, do they make a 2 "click" shifter so that I can't make an attempt to go to the small ring and REALLY hose stuff.
    I have used a 2x9 system on a number of scalpel 3000s and now on a prophet 2000. I would concur with the previous post: the issue isn't with shifters (although I really like gripshift!) or derailleurs (I have used LX, XT, XTR, and the e-type), It is all about set up and properly set limits. I have never had any issues with mis-shifting...good luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah your right... I finally took it to the dealer and they said that the drivetrain as a whole is causing everything (chainrings, chain, cassette, cables... even down to the angle of the shifters. Funny... they said that the derailleur was "ok". But now im faced with investing money in the 2X9 or looking for a Si triple. I refuse to pay $600+ at the dealer for the new Si arms and don't want to deal with all the adapter BS of fitting a Race Face ot FSA... but man... the bailout ring would have been nice a few times on some of these Central PA hills.

-Stick with the 2X, get some Salsa rings and muscle thru the tough parts
    -Source out a Si tripple used
    -Get the adapters and aftermarket cranks
    Last edited by TechnoMetrics; 05-04-2005 at 06:04 AM.

If you have an SI crank, which is what I believe you seem to have, you can get an '05 crank arm spider, which is standard 4 bolt 104 bcd triple. Put that on your existing crank, buy 3 of the same brand rings, rock and roll. Otherwise, trade the frame in for a furio, and get a threaded BB and do whatever crank turns you on. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds like a plan... now where to get a 05' spider. Arent thoes pressed on? CAN they be removed or do I need to get the right arm with is already attached. I seem to think my dealer told me that I "had" to get the arms and spider as a unit.

I'm wondering if I'me getting bad info or need to find another dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMetrics
    Sounds like a plan... now where to get a 05' spider. Arent thoes pressed on? CAN they be removed or do I need to get the right arm with is already attached. I seem to think my dealer told me that I "had" to get the arms and spider as a unit.

I'm wondering if I'me getting bad info or need to find another dealer.
    They are available, they retail for $60. If you need more info, contact me @ cats3elton@aol.com Good luck!