mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Frame size change

I bought a 2006 Prophet 400 in large a while back (in the sick tangerine color) in anticipation of growing more (teenage bodies are rather unpredictable). I love the bike without a doubt and really don't want to ride anything else ever again. Only problem is I didn't grow and I really need a medium. Is there any way I could do this without dropping a lot on a whole new bike? Also, if I did get just a frame- roughly how much is it to transfer my parts over if I were to have the bike shop do it? My wrenching skills aren't quite where i want them for the job...

Thanks- ride on!

mtbr member
    I think you'd probably take a bath on a frame trade, both the trade itself and labor.
    The cheapest way out would be to just sell your bike on ebay or Craigs list, then buy another similar used prophet in the right size.
    In theory you'd break even or just pay a shipping charge maybe.

Or try to find someone in your opposite position on one of the forums and trade. Posts like yours come up once in a while so you might get lucky...
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If I had a medium I'd trade in a minute....love that orange.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just a thought. Have you tried a really short stem? With 1 1/8" steerer there are lots to choose from at budget prices. Short stems work particularly well with slack HT's so maybe combine it with the FR setting which will lower the BB. Might be a temp fix untill finances allow for a new bike. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That is one option- I really think the Prophet is the ultimate do-it-all bike. Given it isn't great at anyone thing- that is not the point of it. Clearly due to my finances I only have room for one bike before my wallet goes completely empty. I have started doing a couple small dirt jumps and easy urban FR stuff like stairs and lots of curbs. I want to continue to be able to ride XC (I enjoy flying uphill) on it and still rip downhills pretty hard. Would a short stem make this better all around? Thanks again

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    definitely. especially for the FR stuff. I'd suggest a fairly wide bar (I use a race face diabolus, yes even on my commuter/trail bike) and a relatively short stem, maybe 50-70mm. I wouldn't go much shorter though.
    you can get this

$30, 28" wide, 40mm rise, color options
    and this

$21, 60mm
    for relatively cheap, just to give you some ideas. I was lucky a few months back and got a diabolus bar and fr-220 70mm stem from Bluesky for $45. these are at jensonusa.com. hussefelt stem and '08 azonic strip bar

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Humm, If it wasnt orange, I may have considered it. I cant imagine my red Magura breaks, CK red hub with the orange.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Lots of people leave their bikes in the FR position all the time there really isn't a rule that says you have to change.
    Since the Prophet has a low stand-over height I was guessing that you felt too stetched out on a large, usually less of a problem for XC, therefore a shorter stem would help. In general a shorter stems sharpens up the steering feel and longer ones the reverse. Similarly steeper HT's have a sharper steering than slacker ones. Look at the extremes. Road racers have steep HT angles and long stems and riders typically ride with their hands on the hoods which are out in front of the bars. Downhill bikes have slack HT's and stubby stems, there's even one that fits the bars right on top of the stem. Its all about finding a combo that you can live with. What size /shape are you anyway?

Members who have read this thread: 0