Flash and Sram XX BB30 Crank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Flash and Sram XX BB30 Crank

Has anyone installed a sram xx bb30 onto a carbon flash. The crank was new and came with no washers or spacers. I removed the old crank - an FSA v drive afterburner and the spacers and washers are built into the crank. The new sram crank needs some sort of washers between the crank and the bearings, but does it need and spacers?

LA CHÈVRE
    Check the SRAM XX crankset manual...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I fitted xx cranks to my carbon flash but also fitted a sram BB bearing kit it has the end caps etc. I think the fsa caps are part of the crank set?
    Only the 164 xx crankset fits and the crank arms are close to the chain stays but they work fine.
    And the best part is they change gears correctly everytime......unlike FSA

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The manual or quick install guide just shows 2 spacer washers which I haven't got.
    Looking at the SI hollowgram instructions I am guessing these are the same as the green dustcap washers. The SI instructions also show spacers hence my question.
    Found a sram bb30 standard bearing kit that I will get as this has the dust caps and spacers if required.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Cheers Jocamara, the sram bearing kit looks like the answer and I will just use the dust caps.
    I got the 164 qfactor cranks, it does look like it's going to be tight clearance, but reassuring to know that it has been tried and tested.
    Saving over 200grams on the upgrade as well which is a bonus.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can anyone advise what width the carbon flash bb30 is. It's difficult to measure as the bearings are recessed and from the outer shell to the bearings is a gap on either side.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Flash Carbon has a 73mm wide BB shell...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Roadrunner: from memory I didn't use the wavy washers out of the kit......just the bearings and end caps and 1 or 2 of the plastic spacers on the crank side for a little more clearence.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jocamara View Post
    I fitted xx cranks to my carbon flash but also fitted a sram BB bearing kit it has the end caps etc. I think the fsa caps are part of the crank set?
    Only the 164 xx crankset fits and the crank arms are close to the chain stays but they work fine.
    And the best part is they change gears correctly everytime......unlike FSA
    I bought a Q156 xx crankset on ebay and I want to install it in my carbon flash. Is that possible?

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think the crank arms will hit the chain stays with Q156.
    I fitted Q164 and thay only just clear.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by cfigueroab View Post
    I bought a Q156 xx crankset on ebay and I want to install it in my carbon flash. Is that possible?
    Sorry to say this, but it won't work . I tried it yesterday.
    The Q164 should work, but as posted above, now I don't know if you can install it with only what comes in the box (using the stock BB30 that is already on the bike) without the SRAM BB30 kit .
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The 164 cranks work, but the clearance is tight. I just used the end caps from the SRAM bearing kit.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels
    roadrunner, will the SRAM BB30 kit help that? I rather not have the cranks on the tight side just for peace of mind, so I wouldn't mind spending on a new BB30 kit.

I'm starting to think that I have to go XO instead, with it's Q167,5 or Q167,9 (I'm not sure which one is BB30) .
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Luw, I only bought the SRAM bearing kit for the end caps. Here is a picture of the clearance which is fine with me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flash and Sram XX BB30 Crank-sram.jpg  

Flash and Sram XX BB30 Crank-sram2.jpg  

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels
    Hey, that's not too bad .
    I was thinking that it barely fit, but from your pic it looks fine! But tell me, of the SRAM BB30 kit, what do I need?

I found one locally for a decent price, and I wouldn't mind buying it to use only part of it. BUT, if I'm buying a new BB, obviously I would prefer the best of the two. Is the SRAM better then the stock BB that comes on the Carbon Flash 29er 3? Or is it really not necessary to buy the kit, the BB that comes with the bike and the XX crank set has all I need?

Sorry on insisting on this but I'm not sure of what I would need for the upgrade.
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just used the end caps - i.e the ones with sram stamped on. The crank I removed didn't have these. I will save the bearings and use them when the originals wear out.
    p.s. my flash is the 26inch wheel one.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels

Good job!

Thanks roadrunner!
    The stock Afterburnner comes with a cap/shim, but it's pretty wide and I tried using it with the Q156, but it didn't help the cranks to clear the chain stays, and I think the axle of the XX would be then too short. Just to be on the safe side I'll order the BB30 set, and whatever I don't use I'll save as spares .

Thanks a bunch bro, I was almost at the point of giving up on the XX upgrade. Now that I'm positive it can be done I'll go ahead and order the Q164 crank set and the BB30 kit .
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    Sorry to say this, but it won't work . I tried it yesterday.
    The Q164 should work, but as posted above, now I don't know if you can install it with only what comes in the box (using the stock BB30 that is already on the bike) without the SRAM BB30 kit .
    My 26 flash came with Sram X7 crankset, so i think that i woudn't need the BB30 kit, but first i´ll have to sell the the Q156 that i found as bargain on ebay

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by cfigueroab View Post
    ...but first i´ll have to sell the the Q156 that i found as bargain on ebay
    Welcome to the club .
    At least in my case the seller agreed to take it back if I didn't scratch it, and I tried my best to be gentle with it. Mine is on it's way back, and I'm hoping there won't be a problem .
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

Members who have read this thread: 0