LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels

Idea! Flash Carbon: noob questions

I haven't had my Flash Carbon 3 29er for not even 24 hours and I'm already wanting to "fix" it . Well, I want to get a carbon handle bar and probably a new stem, maybe something lighter and in a different size. This is my first Lefty bike, so I'm kind of lost. Can I use any kind of stem, like Ritchey's WCS models, or the Lefty demands a specific model/size of stem? What should I ask for?

And with these stems is it necessary to also get a head tube cap, like those bottle caps that everybody is using, or does the stem come with one already?

Despite my decades of biking this is my first carbon bike and 29er, and of course, my first ever Lefty, so everything is all so strange and wonderful .
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    I wouldn't mess with the stem. The length suits me. If I did replace it for a longer/shorter stem, I would go with a C-dale stem. IMO, there is too much involved to go with another brand (even though others might disagree with me).

I upgraded to an Easton EC70 bar and post. Just get the correct diameter.

I also had a problem with the stock C-dale seatpost collar. It slipped. I got a Thomson for $25. Worth every penny.

Be careful with the FSA cranks!!! There is a well documented problem with their chainrings...guys are experiencing dropped/sucked chains that are damaging drivetrain parts and the chainstay area close to the bottom bracket area. My FSA problems have ripped chainstay plates right off the frame (C-dale part KP125). C-dale has been backordered for 5 months on this part!!!

Go tubeless. Buy the Stan's kit and convert. Well worth it.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels
    Thanks for the tips HT!

I'll only change the stem if my upcoming bike fit suggests a change there. The handlebar I'll definitively swap for a carbon one, but the stem only if necessary.

I read something about the FSA problems but was under the impression it was occurring only for heavy use. I'm just a recreational biker, hardly will compete (and if I do, it's gonna be a let's-see-if-I-can-make-it thing), so until now I wasn't worried. I have access to warranty and all, but being in Brazil things will sure take longer, so is the situation so bad that a preemptive swap is advised? And for what, Sram?

I'm very seriously thinking about going tubeless. For the last 10 months I've been riding a road bike, and the one thing that made me get rid of it was exactly the hassle of flat tires, so whatever makes the bike less flat-prone is automatically interesting in my book.
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would save yourself the headache and go ahead and get the crank swapped out.

I went with the crank brothers carbon bar. I have been very happy with it. Easton makes nice stuff too.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels

Bonking ... not feelin' well

So it's really that bad?
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah....... Your shop will get a credit from cannondale for a diff crank. The sram x9 or xo is good stuff and you wont be destroying chain stays or getting stuck out in the woods.

LUW
    Ped on BIG wheels
    You mean that if I show up where I bought my bike and ask for a swap for a XYZ brand crank Cannondale will foot part of the bill ?I?

Even if they don't give me or the shop a credit I'll go after the swap, but did Cannondale ever make an official announcement about this? Being in Brazil I really doubt this would happen, so if there's anything official about this I'll give a try. But as I said, independent of who pays the bill, I will do the swap. I invested too much money in this bike to get the whole experience ruined by something like a faulty chain ring.
    Cheers!
    Luciano
    Brazil

mtbr member
    My LBS upgraded for $50 the shitty FSA to X9 bb30 crank, no questions asked.
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

Members who have read this thread: 0