mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile First Mountain Bike

Hi All,

This is my first post. I just bought my first mountain bike. How good is a 2001 Cannondale Jekyll 700 LTD as a first bike? It is stock except for the Evolve crankset. The LBS says the bike is in GREAT shape and needs nothing. Anything i should look out for or any limitations? Thanks in advance!!

Brian

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Its a great bike. Dont do any real drops and stick to XC type riding, Its great for singletrack and you'll love it there. Have Fun!!!!! Dont be a weight or equipment weenie. Replace parts as they wear out.Get FLATS for pedals as if you are a rookie the they make for easy bailouts. If Elitists say otherwise, tell them to say the same to SAM HILL. Now go find a forest and RIDE.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Sam Hill "sticks to XC type riding"?

Sorry dude, I have nothing against flats, but telling this guy to stick to XC, and then using a DH racer as your ammunition against clipless is lame. Can you name a SINGLE cross country champion that uses flats? Or even toe clips?

Let this guy decide for himself which is better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the replies. It would be great to get more opinions. Any special things I should know about the Lefty?? Thanks again for the replies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    yes, in spite of what they alle say, U don't miss the right forkleg

ride for fun
    congrats! i rocked my jekyll for about 5 years and just sold it to a buddy whos just getting into biking and hes loving it!

enjoy!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

Members who have read this thread: 0