mtbr member
    Mar 2005

First bad day with cannondale

Hi all, as said earlier, I was planning on getting an f800 lefty after much consideration between a titanium seven, kona caldera, dean colonel and a cannondale lefty. Money don't come easy for me but ride quality is important as well. And being an anal mechanic myself, I value good mechanical job.

So I sold my trusty 98 Gary Fisher. Went down to the dealer today, paid in full. Bike comes with sram rear cogs and xt rear derailleur (stock factory configuration). mechanic did HALFHOUR adjustments on the rear cogs and said it couldn't work as the pair don't match. dismantled rear cogs and replaced it with shimano deore cogs to see if it works. it don't, replaced original chain with xt chain, it don't work as well. I was really pissed now cause at one time, there are like 2 person workin on my brand new bike!!! with another one frantically pumpin up my lefty fork. I am a motocross mechanic I don't like the sight of 3 panic staff working on one bike!!!! It's not right!!!! Before I knew it, the cable sticking out of the front deraelleur is bent at an acute angle and FRAYED from the beginning to the tip of the cable measuring 2 inches!! WTF?? Was I pissed!!

Shop owner told me that he'll replace my bike with another brand new one tomorrow while I can ride his TEAM SOBE SCALPEL with crossmax, full xtr, magura mata carbon levers wat fukinever ........ I rode it., but when I try riding freehand, it falls sharply to the right!!! I can't cycle more than 10 meters without having to grab hold on the handlebar. Whereas my girlfriend's f600 (bought on the same day) headshok rides dead straight freehand when I test rode it.

My question is
    Does sram's rear cog not meant to match with a shimano xt rear derailleur?

Does all lefty rides rides sharply to the right when riding freehand? Or is it just this bike that i'm riding with crossmax wheels have this problem? It's so mis-aligned that I can feel it even with both hands on while cornering!

Yeah I know you don't ride freehand crosscountry but it bothers me as I can feel the mis alignment even with my hands on during a corner. Now I am worried that my new f800 is gonna ride like that. I don't want a lefty NO MORE!!!!

Sorry for the rant, I'm pissed at having sold my trusty problem free bike to paying 1.5 k for a bike that I don't have with me now and riding a piece of gimmick that I can't even ride straight on!!!
    Last edited by Atomant; 03-17-2005 at 10:54 PM.

LA CHÈVRE
    I think you should change LBS. There are no problems mix-matching SRAM and Shimano derailleurs, chains and cassettes. You do have to use the right shifter since SRAM and Shimano rear derailleurs don't have the same cable pull ratio. Shimano use 2:1 ratio and SRAM make both 2:1 and 1:1 to fit their derailleurs or Shimano's.

Leftys can sometimes slightly deflect to one side when riding without hands but I have seen plenty of racers winning on Leftys and throwing both hands in the air to celebrate without crashing. My question is: why ride without hands? I never felt the need to do it, especialy when mountain biking. If you can feel it even with your hands on the bar, there might be a problem (headset maybe?).

It's a very nice bike, if the shop can just set it up correctly, you'll love it! I too have experienced badly setup bikes by shop mechanics and while it shouldn't happen at the price we pay, I now just readjust bikes when I get it, I even have fun doing it now.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Lucifer rides an mtb

My experience with the Lefty

I have a Jeckyll with original Lefty so can't say whether the newer ones have changed... my expereince is that the Lefty is not going to score high marks for freehand riding. I have an F500 w/ headshock as a backup/winter bike and find that I can ride it a lot longer no-hands. With the Jeckyll, it feels unstable.

All that said, I don't really have the need for freehand riding long distances and tend to just alternate resting one side or the other. The Lefty has a lot of advantages that I would not trade for better freehand riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yeah definaly look at another LBS...a buddy of mine has SRAM and Shimano mixed and it works just fine...

the lefty will go to one side...but it has MAJOR advantages...It is much stronger & Stiffer than a normal fork. They also have much more travel than a headshock. Arron Chase used to ride a lefty before his fork sponsor...Cedric Gracia runs a lefty when racing 4X (there are pics of him doing no handers with one during races). And for XC tons of people race them.

tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    here is a picture of the team sobe scalpel (if it helps) lent to me cause they can't get my rear d to match the sram cogs. It sure as hell drops sharply to the right side while riding freehand. Problem is how much is alot??? To me, it is scarily alot cause I can't even compensate with my bodyweight. Can someone give me a justifiable answer to live with it??? I sure can't think of any.
    Last edited by Atomant; 03-17-2005 at 10:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    here is a picture of my girlfriend's bike bought on the same day, note there is NO CHAIN!!!! Why? because after a disappointing ride on the scalpel, I decided to try on the headshock. Mechanic din do a good job transfering parts over from the scott elite she was riding. Chain came off during easy pace.

Any day worse than spendin all these money and get no functional bikes in return!?!?

Would've gotten a kona caldera at half the price of an F 800!!! Ghetto mechanics!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Atomant; 03-17-2005 at 09:10 AM.

LA CHÈVRE
    Change LBS, or learn to wrench yourself, you'll save a bunch of money too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah if you plan on doing a lot of no handed riding then the lefty is not for you...I personally try not to take my hands off the bars while riding in the woods...it usually ends up getting me hurt when I do...Whats the big deal with having to take your hands off the bars?

BTW I do ride with no hands on the street sometimes...you just have to get your balance right.

Tom

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    I have a Jeckyll with original Lefty so can't say whether the newer ones have changed... my expereince is that the Lefty is not going to score high marks for freehand riding. I have an F500 w/ headshock as a backup/winter bike and find that I can ride it a lot longer no-hands. With the Jeckyll, it feels unstable.

All that said, I don't really have the need for freehand riding long distances and tend to just alternate resting one side or the other. The Lefty has a lot of advantages that I would not trade for better freehand riding.
    Well, I am unable to compensate with my bodyweight even while riding freehand on that scalpel, is that considered alot or "ok"?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomant
    Well, I am unable to compensate with my bodyweight even while riding freehand on that scalpel, is that considered alot or "ok"?
    If you don't feel it with your hands on, consider it ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    My question is: why ride without hands? I never felt the need to do it, especialy when mountain biking. If you can feel it even with your hands on the bar, there might be a problem (headset maybe?).

I often do it with my Gary Fisher while riding along beach just to relax there are also a bunch of miscellaneous stuff you can do while riding freehand while on a clear road, but of course I don't do it while cross country.
    Last edited by Atomant; 03-17-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Cable and hydrolic line tension on the lefty can cause it to pull to one side. With proper adjustment (note not a wam bam shop job) you should be able to ride no handed for ever. Many of my friends ride lefty's and can go on for a 100+ yards no problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah, it is the cable routing that cause the turn to one side. My prophet does the same thing too when i clamp it on a stand. They usually route the cable in between the clamp so the cable are always pushing aganist the lefty. i also test rode a xtr cass. with sram XO and it shift perfectly so it is more like you LBS don't know how to work on your bike.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Holy cow, I am having a busy day here, and don't have much time, but I feel compelled to toss my 2 cents in. Find a new shop, you are obviously dealing with a bunch of utter complete amateurs!!!!! What everyone has said is correct with regards to inter-compatibility, there are no issues as long as you are using shimano drive train with Sram cassetes, none, ever. As to the Lefty, there is a small amount of deflection, moving a cheek over a bit will compensate, best I can say is, don't trust the ride of ANYTHING that came out of that shop, be it the owners, be it high end whatever, they are a disgrace, and should be ashamed of themselves. Right now, you are sweating the smallest thing because you are righfully very upset, buy the bike, and get out of Dodge, the Lefty will become your best friend after the first real ride you take. Good luck, and I gotta say, that's one of the worst stories I've heard in a while!

mtbr member

Bummer

The Mechanics are mentally deficiant unless Cannondale mounted 1 to 1 shifters by mistake. Shimano derailures work perfectly with Sram Rocket shifters. The chains are interchangable. As for the lefty pulling it's probably just the cable routing causing the pull.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    alright, out of frustration, I rode the bike 2 am in the morning just so I can have a piece of mind to focus on where the problem comes from. cable routing does not cause misalighment to that extend while riding or freehand.

Ok, due to my observation, IMHO, it seems to be coming from the design of the lefty. Most of the weight is on the left side. when I lift up the bike, the lefty fork turns to the left under its own weight. so when riding, it wants to do the same, thus making the bike turns to the right when the lefty drops to the left. And when I try to compensate my weight to the left, the bike turns left!?. It can never go straight!?

for those people with conventional fork design, try hanging 3.8lbs of weight on your left handle bar and try riding it, this is how riding on a lefty feels(at least on this one with a crossmax that's being lent to me). How can I justify myself into riding a bike that feels misalighned?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Ok, so how can you justify it? You really can't. Yes it is going to do that to some extent, yes, you will have to spend a few percentage points of concentration when riding no handed. Can you fix that? No. That being said, you seem to be trying to talk yourself out of the bike, don't buy it! Thousands and thousands of other blissfully happy lefty owners must just be willing to put up with it in order to ride an incredibly unique fork, that feels way better than anything else out there, it's either that, or it's a big liberal conspiracy to make us all ride in giant left handed circles=

LA CHÈVRE

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    it's a big liberal conspiracy to make us all ride in giant left handed circles=
    I knew it! We may just have found out the secret of the crop circles...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Alright, I just got my f 800 and it rides perfectly fine NO HAND! Well I can still feel it turning alittle bit to the right but it's perfectly neglibible as compared to the scalpel lent to me with crossmaxes on. I don't know what's the problem with that bike but it sure does not feel good at all!!

Now I'm happy with my bike and will post up some pictures of it.

LA CHÈVRE
    Great to see you're finally happy: have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    On an xt rear derailleur if the cable doesn't go straight to the bottom of the screw that holds it in place it won't get the proper cable tension and will jump all over the place. Cannondales don't come in with the cables attached to the derailleurs like other bike companies. So the assembler usually a $5 an hour kid can some times get confused by this. As for the scapel turning and your bike not it may be because of the different geomety that the scalpel has. That it may be more sensitive to the minor pulling of on sided fork. My wifes prophet doesn't pull but it has a slackened head tube angle. I would assume that your h/t is somewhere in between.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

Poser
    Drugs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by applegreenheckler
    On an xt rear derailleur if the cable doesn't go straight to the bottom of the screw that holds it in place it won't get the proper cable tension and will jump all over the place. Cannondales don't come in with the cables attached to the derailleurs like other bike companies. So the assembler usually a $5 an hour kid can some times get confused by this. As for the scapel turning and your bike not it may be because of the different geomety that the scalpel has. That it may be more sensitive to the minor pulling of on sided fork. My wifes prophet doesn't pull but it has a slackened head tube angle. I would assume that your h/t is somewhere in between.
    applegreenheckler, i'm not too sure if the problem is the exact same one you described but it is in fact due to a cable problem and not due to compatibility issues from using a shimano shifter and stram rear cogs as was told by lbs.