atp
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

E-Type deraileur

I have a prophet and was wondering if I could replace the e-type deraileur with a clamp style. I have a bash guard instead of the big ring and would like to lower the deraileur, thanks-Alex

KTL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I see your point, but the cage on the deraileur is designed to be used i the "upper posistion" -by lowering it you would end up with redused shifting performance and chain rubbing.

Shimano's new Saint group and the new SLX (available this automn) will come with two-ring spesific front derailleurs. I'm not shure they will come as E-type, so when time comes, your question might still be valid!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It sucks having an E-type FR. Talk about slim pickin's at a swap meet... Many clamp mount XTR FD avail. I took me 2 hrs to find one and I had to ask for it. Hard to bargin with only one avail.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The E-Type works perfectly with a 2x9 with bashring setup. Just adjust the limit screws so it will only shift between the two rings. There is not an issue with the distance since the middle and small ring are exactly in the same place they are in with a 3 ring set up.

atp
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the replies. The e-type shifts fine, but feel I can dial in my shifting better with the clamp style. Plus my e-type develops creeks from bb contact and the mounting screw that loosens even with loctite.

Members who have read this thread: 0