Dyad rt2 issue- Mtbr.com

Thread: Dyad rt2 issue

mtbr member
    May 2020

Dyad rt2 issue

I just went to set up the sag/pressure on my DYAD RT2 shock on my Cannondale trigger but when I tried to release the negative chamber it started spewing lube/oil. Is this potentially because of a leak inside the shock? Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    There's some oil in there for lubing the seals but there may also be a leak. Once enough oil has leaked in the air chambers, the steel shaft will stay partially exposed even when the shock is aired up at the correct pressures: then it will be time for a service. Until then you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by romphaia View Post
    There's some oil in there for lubing the seals but there may also be a leak. Once enough oil has leaked in the air chambers, the steel shaft will stay partially exposed even when the shock is aired up at the correct pressures: then it will be time for a service. Until then you'll be fine.
    There was a decent amount of oil that came out (2 oz) immediately when I tried to release pressure so I stopped as quickly as I could and I'm afraid of losing more oil if I continue the process. Not sure how much pressure I lost by doing that so I guess I'm not sure if it's alright to ride still. Any suggestion?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If oil leaked from the hydraulic circuit into the air chambers is normal that it leaks when pumping air. However it's probably better to keep it in there, or the air spring may become too linear and bottom out easily.
    Just pump it up and check if the shaft stay fully inside the shock body (probably not if it leaked so much oil...)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I know the manual says to release the pressure in the negative chamber prior to filling up either of the chambers with more air. Will there be an issue if I just go ahead and fill the chambers without releasing the pressure first?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Lay the bike on the side or upside down to avoid spilling out all the oil, cover tha valve with a cloth and release some pressure (you don't need to empty it completely, as long as it's lower than the positive).
    When inflating the positive, make sure the pump connector is threaded all the way in to the stop to engage both valves.

If the shaft remains exposed the shock is still usable, you won't damage it but it won't perform at its best.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Awesome! That seemed to do the trick. Putting the bike upside down allowed me to completely release the air in the negative chamber. It looks like the shaft is fully retracting too. Thank you for the help!!! I really appreciate it