Poll: DT Swiss xr 4.2d vs. Mavic xm 819 UST (both are 24 hole type)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

DT Swiss XR 4.2D vs. Mavic XM 819 on Scalpel

I just purchased a 2008 Scalpel 2. It comes with the DT wheelset that appears to be a decently made package. I have a 2008 Mavic XM 819 UST wheelset (running with Maxxis flyweight tubes at this time) with the same hub configuration on another Cannondale and wondered if I should put these wheels on my Scalpel before selling the other bike. Any suggestions on which would be lighter, stiffer, more durable, etc.? Both wheelsets are the 24 hole type and I split my time on the bike between sport class racing and XC riding.
    Last edited by wingnut7; 09-01-2008 at 02:08 PM.

Ridin' dirty!
    What is the spoke count on each wheelset?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Both sets are the 24 hole type.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut7
    Any suggestions on which would be lighter, stiffer, more durable, etc.?
    Lighter, stiffer, durable... as someone else said, pick two.

I have DT4.2 on my Rush and they're very good rims, a lot lighter than 819 but not as stiff. I have 2 years on my wheels and no problems so far, but I can feel some flex here and there. I weight around 180lb by the way, so if you're over 200lb you should keep the 819.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingnut7
    Both sets are the 24 hole type.

Suggestions?

In that case it doesn't matter, since it'll be equally hard to get a replacement rim for either set. and I agree with what jiar577 wrote.

got the dhr...
    I had xr 4.2ds, they didn't work for me... broke em in a month. my brother raced a set of 819's on dt hubs (from a 2002 scalpel) for five years and in the end, he sold them, pretty much perfectly true, no dents etc. I would go with the 819's, they're stronger. the xr's are lighter, but from my experience, very flimsy,they just feel cheap, and look bad imho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hmm....~515g per rim, or ~400g? Go for the DT on a scalpel.

mtbr member
    Eh, if your really attached those rims go with the DT's, especially if you are running tubeless. The Mavics are a B***h to seat, its worse if you flat during a race, because the pressure to mount it quickly. You have to get the tire into a center channel then hit them with CO2, but if you mess up, it sucks. The DT's are notorious for burping air pressure in the slightest of conditions, such as hitting a rock close to the sidewall. But they are easier to seat in a strenous situation, such as racing.

I would say Sell both on the Bay (or in the classified section) and get yourself a set of stans wheels, they can be built to what you want, money wise, and are the best for tubeless and racing. They will never burp and are a breeze to seat. I've just done my first race on my stans wheels and loved 'em!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

More feedback please!!!

Thanks for all those who responded. I have added a poll as well and would like to see more people chim in. Thanks again.

Ridin' dirty!
    I have to disagree with what amillmtb said about the Mavic rims....
    I have a set and mounted a pair of Fat Albert UST tires on them....it took me forever to get them on the rim....I ended up using the heavy duty park tool metal tire levers because 2 of my park tool plastic ones just snapped!
    So far it's true that their a bit*h to get onto the rim, but the tire was easily inflated with a regular pump, beads popped right in place! After 3 weeks I had to remove the tires to add some Stan's and they were a breeze to take off and really easy to install too.
    I guess they stretched a bit over time....
    Also, if you run some UST tires with some Stan's it's really unlikely you end up at a race fixing tires...
    *I don't say it can not happen* Just unlikely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    I have to disagree with what amillmtb said about the Mavic rims....
    I have a set and mounted a pair of Fat Albert UST tires on them....it took me forever to get them on the rim....I ended up using the heavy duty park tool metal tire levers because 2 of my park tool plastic ones just snapped!
    So far it's true that their a bit*h to get onto the rim, but the tire was easily inflated with a regular pump, beads popped right in place! After 3 weeks I had to remove the tires to add some Stan's and they were a breeze to take off and really easy to install too.
    I guess they stretched a bit over time....
    Also, if you run some UST tires with some Stan's it's really unlikely you end up at a race fixing tires...
    *I don't say it can not happen* Just unlikely.
    Wow, thats sweet...for you. All mavics (except Xmax's) that I have tried to seat have been hard to get air to stay in. The tires slide on really easily, but then wont grab air and beads wouldnt pop...huh..

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb
    Wow, thats sweet...for you. All mavics (except Xmax's) that I have tried to seat have been hard to get air to stay in. The tires slide on really easily, but then wont grab air and beads wouldnt pop...huh..
    My 819's are a ***** to seat too. No way to do it without CO2 or a floor pump.
    But _if_ you flat in a race, throw in a tube.

My Stans on my I9's are easier to seat for sure. But the yellow tape is not 100% reliable on the hottest of days.
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    wingnut, what's your weight?

I'll add some more, I've had several Mavic rims in the past and never had a problem with them. I got the 4.2 just to try something different and in fact they have better quality than Mavic IMO, it's just that they're not as strong as 819 but they were never designed to be. In fact my old Mavic Crossmax (pre-UST) had more flex than the 4.2

Besides, the Scalpel is a racing machine. Where else in the bike can you loose almost half a pound? And it's where you'll feel the weight savings!! Unless you're over 200lbs it's a no brainer IMO

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I weigh 175#'s. You are correct in that apples to apples the DT's weigh close to 200 grams less compared to the 819s. I weighed them this morning on a digital scale.

mtbr member

I would say Sell both on the Bay (or in the classified section) and get yourself a set of stans wheels, they can be built to what you want, money wise, and are the best for tubeless and racing. They will never burp and are a breeze to seat. I've just done my first race on my stans wheels and loved 'em!
    Ditto that. 3 races on mine so far and 0 complaints.

Ridin' dirty!
    Another reason to go with Schwalbe tires...
    My Mountain Kings on the other hand were not that easy to seat....I had to inflate the tire with a tube first, deflate it, carefully remove the bead on one side, take the tube out, put tire back in place and hit it with my floor pump as fast as I could...but, they were easy to actually put onto the rim...
    Last edited by cdalemaniac; 09-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Just get a 240s rear hub and stick some Super Comp or Rev spokes on a pair of Furious Freds and you're ready. But save those 819s for a harder day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    Just get a 240s rear hub and stick some Super Comp or Rev spokes on a pair of Furious Freds and you're ready. But save those 819s for a harder day.
    I have to disagree here, Super Comp or Rev spokes will be too flexy maybe dangerous at your weight, this are 24 spokes rims. I'd say Comp spokes.

You don't need the 819s, a harder day with a Scalpel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    I have to disagree here, Super Comp or Rev spokes will be too flexy maybe dangerous at your weight, this are 24 spokes rims. I'd say Comp spokes.

You don't need the 819s, a harder day with a Scalpel?
    I suggented the Super Comps or Revs since it's a Scalpel (aka stupidly light bike!), but yes, if he's at 200lbs, maybe the Comps (which BTW already come with that particular wheelset) would be a better choice indeed!

And by harder day I meant some day you will probably go to some rocky and rooty trail... but honestly, I woudn't know how to manage that on a Scalpel, I'm such a clyde and could never shake the feel I was about to smash a frame like that!

Members who have read this thread: 0