More than somewhat.

Doubting the durability of Cannondale carbon MTB's? (pics)

As I was riding on Sunday, a stick decided to place itself into the spokes of my rear wheel (SLR's). This was at the bottom of a small downhill, as I was winding up for a short steep climb, so quite possibly the worst place for something like this to happen. My pedals stopped instantly, my rear wheel locked up, and I was almost thrown off of the bike.

I looked back, saw the stick and feared the worst: broken frame. Then I feared the second worst: smoke a $600 wheel.

None of the above. I messed up a spoke, ripped a nipple (lol), and scuffed the frame in a minor way. Finished my ride too!

Can you even see where the stick hit?

mtbr member
    its a good day when the worst thing that happens is a ripped nipple.

mtbr member
    I winder if the nipple was designed to "tear" away like, either way the fact that it does is great to minimize any rim damage! Well done Mavic! it's always good having the little cheap things break to save the big expensive ones!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It looks like the spoke took all the impact, which is good, and as far as I know a wooden stick will not produce cracks to carbon. But one never knows.

Just check carefully the seat-stays to be sure everything is OK.

ganginwood
    that's whats great about cmax. my titus 9er has a set of cmax on them. i have a spoke that is almost bent in half and i've ridden the bike several times since. still in true. unbleivable. one of the only wheels i know of that can handle that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

More than somewhat.
    I was shocked that it didn't tear the rim.

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, Roel raced 18km on his bare SLR rim, no tire at the Cape Epic and while the rim's sidewals were pretty crushed, the wheel was still perfectly true afterwards.

A friend of mine had a big stick in his Crossmax two years ago, bent spokes, his tire ripped off and he was thrown several feet off the bike, a bent derailleur... We repaired the tire, finished the ride, he then flexed the spokes back to straight and the wheel still holds, perfectly true two years later.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

More than somewhat.
    I forgot to add that the bike is a Taurine Team.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    need a disc side rear spoke ? i have it NEW

but grey , SL version ... i ship for free from italy if you want

More than somewhat.
    It's a drive side spoke... Thanks though!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    sorry , i have a red spoke for SLR but not checked lenght ... maybe is a front for lefty wheel

but this one i paid 30 euro ...

More than somewhat.
    The spoke I would need is a drive side straight pull black spoke. These wheels aren't mine, and the owner has plenty of replacement parts.

I do appreciate it though.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    cannondale friendship worldwide

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004

Call NEPMBTA!

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1270733007

At 3:38 you'll see a Cannondale employee snapping a xMax SL in half while turning.....Turning!!!! They must be the worst wheel ever, and we should all boycott Mavic products and uncover the truth to their falsified testing standards!!!!!

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1270733007

At 3:38 you'll see a Cannondale employee snapping a xMax SL in half while turning.....Turning!!!! They must be the worst wheel ever, and we should all boycott Mavic products and uncover the truth to their falsified testing standards!!!!!
    Yeah, but there is no Mavic forum for NEPMBTA to annoy people in...

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Yeah, but there is no Mavic forum for NEPMBTA to annoy people in...
    ssshhhhh. you might wake him up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hmm, any particular reason for Roel to race without a tire? :-)

More than somewhat.
    Aero advantage.

More than somewhat.
    I replaced the spoke/nipple on my wheel. HOLY EASY.

LA CHÈVRE
    A few flats in the Cape Epic, he was out of tubes, air and options at the end of a stage and had to race the last 18km on his bare rim:

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Epic Race : stage 5
    The fifth stage of the Absa Cape Epic presented by adidas provided much drama and excitement, when approximately 40km into the race, Jakob Fuglsang of Cannondale Vredestein had a flat tyre, followed by a stroke of bad luck when their quick fill cartridge didn’t work properly. Using a second cartridge did not help either as the adaptor they had did not work. With only one cartridge left, the team was rescued when Rune Hoydahl of Etto Hoydahl 2 gave them his adaptor, which finally allowed the team to fill the tube. Devastating the team even more, the new tube was broken too and had to be exchanged once more before they could continue with the challenge. At this stage Cannondale Vredestein had lost almost seven minutes, and therefore had to work hard to catch up with the group. As they made their way to the front, they passed Hoydahl and returned his adaptor in case he had a flat tyre and needed it.

But the misfortune did not end there. 18km prior to the finish line, Fuglsang had another flat and they had nothing to repair it with. “We didn’t know what to do, as we had no cartridges left and gave the adaptor back to Rune. We then decided, ‘why not just ride in on the rim without the tube?’ which we did. Roel was feeling stronger today so he suggested that we exchange wheels,” says Jakob Fuglsang.

In the process of taking the rear wheel out of Fuglsang’s bike, the team lost his brake pads. Fuglsang therefore had to ride without any rear brakes, with more than 18km to go (including 5km of single track). Fuglsang pushed his partner in off-road sections and pulled him on the tarred road. Paulissen says that riding on the rim was killing his legs. “It was like riding on a drilling machine, and I can still feel the effects of this afterwards. We didn’t have a clue how far we were behind – our gut feeling told us it must’ve been more than 18 minutes, and we were sure that we would no longer be overall leaders. But we kept going, which was definitely the right decision. We were thrilled when we reached the finish line only to find that we had lost a mere 8 minutes.” He added that all he can do to recover from the additional pressure that his legs had to endure during Stage 5 was to eat properly, “but that gets more difficult after each stage, because you are too tired to eat.”
    Watch a video report here...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey Dan, It was actually Jakob's wheel thet Roel was riding. After the could not repair the tyre they just started riding. Jakob was complaining that he could not ride the wheel with the tyre flat. Roel just ook charge and said, ;"ok then we take it off it. and i'll ride the wheel.

I had a look at the wheel afterward. It the tyre bead area was completely worn away in places and crushed elsewhere, but it was still true.

The last 18km of Stage 5 was not easy either. There was still some very sandy patches and gravel road to negotiate, into a headwind.

Members who have read this thread: 0