Do all fattys do this?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Do all fattys do this?

Make clunking sounds when ridden over small bumps that is. I recently built a jekyll with a fatty ultra front fork. It was a take off from a new bike, so nothing should be worn in it. I have played around with the air pressure and currently have about 125 lbs in it. I weigh about 180 lbs so i believe this to be about the right setting. It has the lockout but no compression or rebound adjustment on it. It kind of feels like it is topping out. Is this normal for this fork or are there things I can do to improve its performance. It does seem to take the bigger bumps well and I do love the rear of this bike with the fox float RL, its so smooth. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes, many of the Fatty's will do that. It should not be a loud sound, but it can be noticeable if you are listening for it. I believe this is caused by the negative return spring kicking in and the fork rebounds. I have not noticed it on a Fatty DLR but have experienced it on my Fatty SL's. No biggie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    One more thing...

What size frame did you get your Fatty Ultra off of?

If it's not the same size as your current frame then it might not be setup for your body weight. You might need a different spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well, I'm not sure, I bought it off of ebay, I could try contacting the seller to see what size frame its came from. It's really not bad, more annoying than anything, it makes the bike feel, I hate to use the word cheap, but yes a bit cheap. I'm just used to a regular suspension fork.

I don't supose the Leftys have this trait? I would have loved to have gone with one but couldn't really afford it, plus they seem to be a bit more maintainance intensive.

Jun 2003

Is a quality dealer in the area?

If you have a HS tech in the area, you may have them check the color of the neg. spring, to be sure it is right for your weight, and check the oil level in the damper. there may be a small amount of air involved that is not wanted.

If there is not a good tech in the area, have Mendoncyclesmith (Craig, I think) do the work. He is fast, and very good at what he does.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Alright, I may just do that later this winter when I am not riding.

Thanks everyone!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Sounds like top out, but Apache could be onto something if there's a really light topout spring in there. Needs a reset most likely, based on how you describe it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ok, what is the best way to go about doing this? It sounds like something I would need to have done by a technician, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jackk
    Ok, what is the best way to go about doing this? It sounds like something I would need to have done by a technician, correct?
    Unless you have the tools, time, and desire, it's worth finding a trusty wrench. It's a quick job to reset the bearings. If it still feel bad, then it's time to tear it pen and see what's going on. Did you say this was new, or old?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I'm having the same issues with my DLR. I'm thinking of switching to a lefty but I was happy with the performance of the headshock when it was new. perhaps I should just bite the bullet and send it back to get some love instead.

Quote Originally Posted by plume
    I'm having the same issues with my DLR. I'm thinking of switching to a lefty but I was happy with the performance of the headshock when it was new. perhaps I should just bite the bullet and send it back to get some love instead.
    If you take the time change your cars oil, then you should have this done too. Once a year is fine on a Headshock, every 3K on the car. Normal maintenance is there for a reason. If you ignore all maintenance, then this is not worth your time= The Lefty will do it too if left un-loved!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0