mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Crack in Prophet frame

It appears that I've got a slowly growing crack on my beloved Prophet. The crack is on the top of the top tube in the weld just above the shock mounting running from side to side. At first, it was really hard to say if it was a crack or just a ugly scratch, but I marked the ends with a Sharpie marker, and you can see that it's growing past the Sharpie marks.
    Does anybody know if this is a known area for cracks on a Prophet? I used the search, but didn't find and hits.
    Thanks for the help.

josephr
    Apr 2010
    what? no pics! damn you man!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It doesn't really matter if it's a known crack area or not. You need to take it to your LBS for warranty. How is that RZ 140 looking for you?????? That is probably what you will receive.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Crack in Prophet frame

I had to use my wife's nice camera to get some pics. My cameraphone can't grab focus on it, but ziscwg is right, the marks show that it's growing.
    So it's time for the warranty process.
    The local Cannondale rep has seen it, but that was before the crack had grown past the places where I marked it. At that time, nobody could tell if it was a crack or just a scratch. I didn't get to talk to him to see what he thought about it. So I was wondering if this was a known place on the frame for a crack to form.
    So if I'll be getting a RZ 140, can anybody tell me what to expect from the new RZ? How will the RZ 140 compare to the Prophet? What might I notice being different about these two frames? I really love the Prophet and don't want to give it up.

Just a flesh wound

Fix it

I am surprised that Cannondale can't fix it. If it is the weld, it can be ground down and re-welded. But a new ride wouldn't be so bad.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio
    I am surprised that Cannondale can't fix it. If it is the weld, it can be ground down and re-welded. But a new ride wouldn't be so bad.
    I have yet to hear of cdale fixing a weld, but I'm not the most informed person when it comes to their processes. I have always known them to send a new frame or part of a frame.

Just from what I know about welding and the fact that my neighbor laughed at welding an Al bike framed once, I would think a fix would be more trouble for cdale than it's worth.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ShokFlip
    So if I'll be getting a RZ 140, can anybody tell me what to expect from the new RZ? How will the RZ 140 compare to the Prophet? What might I notice being different about these two frames? I really love the Prophet and don't want to give it up.
    The RZ climbs better, but isn't as good at "pointing the bike downhill and letting off the brakes" like the Prophet was. I went from a Prophet to a Rize and love it! It "rails" the turns better than the prophet and has a stiffer feel in the back end.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 05-25-2010 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    what parts didn't swap right over from prophet to RZ140?

bent rear end on my prophet and looking to see what parts I'll need.
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    Mine cracked on the top shock mount but not quite in the same place as yours I think. Picture and description here

Cannondale replaced the frame on the strength of the photo, I was up and running in a couple of weeks from memory.

mtbr member

Looks like two cracks to me...

The Orange Prophet:

It looks like the mount was cracking in two areas (circled).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crack in Prophet frame-capture.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    what parts didn't swap right over from prophet to RZ140?

bent rear end on my prophet and looking to see what parts I'll need.

The seat post.................................really that's all that didn't swap over. Well, you need to get a BB30 adapter put in, but your current cranks will work.

It should come with a rear shock, but it could be a downgrade. So, swap the new one for yours if that is the case. Or, if you have an old spare shock you dont really need, you can put that on your old busted frame and sell the new one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    The seat post.................................really that's all that didn't swap over. Well, you need to get a BB30 adapter put in, but your current cranks will work.
    Or you could use these... a little less difficult to install.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=31477

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHL
    The Orange Prophet:

It looks like the mount was cracking in two areas (circled).
    Stunningly observant there, Mark. I believe I pointed that out when I posted the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Prophet
    ...It's only on one side but runs across both of the points where the mount meets the frame...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Prophet
    Stunningly observant there, Mark. I believe I pointed that out when I posted the photo.
    I missed that...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    does the RZ140 use an E type derailer (yes it CAN, but does it as stock?)
    good ski/bike deals at www.mntlion.com

My life is better than your vacation.

mtbr member
    No, the E-type is not stock on the RZ.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

OP has a pic

Here's a pic of my frame's crack...

You can see the red dots and then the blue dots from the Sharpies. They sort of faded from riding and sweat. Dots of paint or fingernail polish might be better for marking the ends. I probably put 50 miles on it between the red dots and the blue dots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crack in Prophet frame-dsc_0403.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007

I believe it can as stated, but you also need that cable routing do hicky thing that goes on the bottom of you BB for the FD cable.

The RZ has the cable stops for the top routed FD. I think I payed $50 for my XT FD.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShokFlip
    Here's a pic of my frame's crack...

You can see the red dots and then the blue dots from the Sharpies. They sort of faded from riding and sweat. Dots of paint or fingernail polish might be better for marking the ends. I probably put 50 miles on it between the red dots and the blue dots.
    Is that crack on the top tube on the delta triangle?
    If so...what type of fork is on the bike?
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Is that crack on the top tube on the delta triangle?
    If so...what type of fork is on the bike?

Oh that's right, I hope you didn't have a 160 mm fork on there. I don't think Cdale is going to warranty a frame with a fork that exceeds max axle to crown length.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

140mm fox

I've got a Fox RLC 140 mm fork on it. So there's not a problem with it being overforked.
    The Sharpie dots didn't really work out because they rub off and fade. So I put some little dots of fingernail polish on it. I figured the fingernail polish would crack apart if the frame cracked more. So that would be a clear indication of a frame crack. I'm really hoping it's not a crack because getting a replacement frame, while great with a full warranty, will mean being without a ride for too long. Plus the Prophet is such a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bummer

I went out to get it ready for riding tomorrow and found that two of the dots are cracked matching the crack underneath. I put three dots on the crack. One at each end, and one on the middle. I dabbed them on last Thursday and rode Friday. So the paint dots cracked during friday's ride, but the crack dosen't look like it grew. The dot in the middle crack, and one on the right side cracked.
    I'll post some more pics after tomorrow's ride.

mtbr member
    "I'll post some more pics after tomorrow's ride." -
    If you can, post one zoomed out showing a little more bike (in addition to the close ups of course). Those close up's are great, but one that shows more of the tubing would help put it into perspective.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Members who have read this thread: 2