Converting a Truvativ Firex Triple Crank to a Double Crank- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Converting a Truvativ Firex Triple Crank to a Double Crank

I have a Bad Boy Ultra, I never use the granny ring so I want to take it off and use the middle and outer rings (48T-36T). What do I need to do to achieve this? Do I need a crank arm for a double set up or can I get a large metal bash guard bigger than the 48T?
    Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You can just remove the ring and adjust the limit screw to prevent accidentally throwing the chain off. But other than saving a couple of ounces you haven't gained anything!
    Mountain bikers run bash guards by doing without the outer (larger) ring. I'm not aware that you can buy a bash guard for a 48 tooth ring and you can't just move your outer and middle rings across because the inner has a smaller bolt circle diameter (BCD). What you sometimes see on a hybrid is a chain protector which is often just plastic and is purely to protect your trousers.
    As an alternative you could change your cassette to a 11/26 (get a new chain too). This would remove a lot of the ratios you don't use, be a fraction lighter but more significantly give you a tighter cluster of ratios for fast road riding. If you still didn't use the granny gear you could swap out the rear derailleur for a short cage and benefit from sharper changes as well. Still short of a SystemSix but customising your bike to suit your preferences is all part of the fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wished that I changed the cassette when I bought the bike to 11-26. I never use the granny ring so for ease of use I want to get rid of it (nothing to do with weight on this occasion). 48/39 seems to be the right gearing for me, with what I have read it is a cyclocross type setup.
    Last edited by mrwibble; 10-08-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0