mtbr member

Clydsdale + Prophet + Moab Drops = Disaster?

That's probably the stupidest title I've ever come up with for a post, but I certainly represents a concern I have about completely toasting my Prophet in the middle of Porcupine Rim or Bartlet Wash, etc., when we head out on May 1st.

Normally, I'm an epic XC kinda guy. With pack and gear I'm about 220ish on the bike. I don't normally get a lot of air time. So taking all the standard caveats into consideration (each bike and rider are different, blah, blah, blah) I'd sure like to hear from other Clydsdale Prophet rides out there about your experiences droppin' ledges, huckin' over hill and dale and generally getting your two wheels off the ground (in a substantial way)... and safely back to earth... in one piece.

I've got the standard issue Fox Float on my P5... which is my biggest concern. Blowin' that baby in the middle of a trip would not be cool. But who wants to just moto along Porqupine Rim like I'm riding some beach cruiser on the boardwalk?!

Thanks in advance for your input.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I wouldnt worry about the frame. The Prophet can take a real beating. I would concern yourself more with the tires and wheels. Make sure they are beefy enough to take the drops. A couple of 2.3 tires would handle it. (I'm assuming you have some 19 mm rims.)

I seriously doubt the shock will blow as long as it's set up right for you and those conditions. If the shock looses pressure now, then you could have a problem. A rebuild may be in order before you go.
    Last edited by ziscwg; 04-16-2008 at 11:48 AM.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Thanks ziscwg for the input!

I've got the standard issue 07 rims but I'm running Maxxis High Roller 2.35's at about 40psi.

I run about 150psi in the shock which gives me just about the right amount of sag (could probably go another 1/8th - 1/4" of sag) and there's no leakage. I run it with the rebound set about half way out from closed which seems to work well, but I haven't played with the rebound too much. I had to have the shock rebuilt in the middle of last season due to some manufacturing defect (??) and it's been "buddah" ever since.

I guess I should go find someplace to practice. =)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I agree with the response on the wheels - maybe get them tensioned just to ensure there is no weak "side" to them. Good peice of mind. Plus, with that pressure and combo you should be fine.
    If the float is your main concern, you could always pack a spare, they do go for about $150 used.

mtbr member
    Good idea on the wheels. I'll start snooping for that spare Float...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you are going for a spare shock, do an upgrade and keep the old Float as a spare. A Fox Float RP23 would be a good upgrade with the pedal platform.

You can also go with the Answer/manatu 3way. However, you will have to buy new shock bushings as well, $40 more
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm 220 also and run the High Roller Tires with a Coil Spring rear shock. Have not had any problems, and I jump it on every ride.

Are you talking to me?

get a seal kit.

a seal kit, and some slick honey is all you need.

What is the shock size? 7.875x2.0?
    gfy

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by damion
    a seal kit, and some slick honey is all you need.

What is the shock size? 7.875x2.0?
    Yes

shut up and RIDE!
    I'm 240 without my pack, and my prophet holds up just fine. However, I am running 2.35s front and rear...
    '11 Surly Pugsley
    '07 Prophet 3
    96' Killer V 900ht
    04' F700sx
    '10 TommiSea Terrain Destroyer

mtbr member
    Great info from everyone. Thanks for the input.

Regarding the above mentioned seal kit, I didn't know Fox Float shocks were self-serviceable?

Honestly, I've been thinking about ordering myself a Cane Creek Cloud 9. I have an AD-12 on my classic SuperV. The Cane Creek shocks are incredible for ride, tuneability and field serviceable if need be.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

float rebuild

Super easy to do You might want to consider doing a rebuild before you go and bringing a kit with you. I always keep a spare kit with me. There are lots of handy o rings in there as well as a pillow pack. At the very least check your oil before you go.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...ice_videos.htm

By the way I can generally just pull the bushings out with vice grips. I have had to do the ez out once so I won't promise anything. If your bushings are older they are cheap from fox as well. Nothing more annoying than listening to the donk donk noise for miles.

mtbr member
    I had no idea! I was under the impression that servicing your own (Fox) shock was bad ju-ju. I'm heading to the shop at lunch to order a couple of kits and maybe some better bushings.

Thanks again!

Are you talking to me?

watch the video.

www.foxracingshox.com has a video showing the seal kit rebuild in detail. You only need to watch it once.

under air sleeve maintainance (sp?)

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...ice_videos.htm
    gfy

mtbr member
    I made a trip to Moab last year, and my friend brought his 06 Prophet with him. We 600 with him. We rode Amasa Back, Slickrock, Flat Pass and Bartlett Wash and his bike handled everything perfectly fine, although he is a fair amount lighter than yourself. The prophet is a great bike and should hold up well to Moab conditons for everything you are looking to do!
    2006 Specialized Enduro Elite
    2004 Rocky Mountain Element 50

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was on Porcupine last week and saw a couple of people on Prophets. I don;t think you'll need to worry. The drops aren;t that big on the trail and it'll be great for the climb up.

mtbr member
    Once again, this group always comes through! I've got a couple of seal kits coming, wheels are scheduled to head to the shop on Monday and I just purchased some Maxxis Holy Rollers (2.4's!!) tonight just for SlickRock. (We'll see if they actually fit tomorrow).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Buy a new spare float, from somebody who takes returns, pack it just in case. If you don't need it, simply return it after the trip.

Are you talking to me?

That really sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    Buy a new spare float, from somebody who takes returns, pack it just in case. If you don't need it, simply return it after the trip.

Great thinking. I dont even know what to say, other than, NO. If you need a backup (anything) buy one.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    the fox won't blow up but go stuck down..typically during an epic ride..but your getting prepared which is excellent
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    I had to rebuild my Float after only a few months due to a bad seal inside...some defect, kept stickin down and made my Rush feel like a chopper motorcycle. The actual rebuild is a piece of cake. The links the guys posted above are great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Great thinking. I dont even know what to say, other than, NO. If you need a backup (anything) buy one.
    What's the problem with that? People buy and return stuff all the time.

Are you talking to me?

I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    What's the problem with that? People buy and return stuff all the time.

I had a couple come to Alaska for a 2 week cycling trip, with tags still on the raingear. They wanted to return it as soon as they got back to Cali.

People do it all the time, but that does not make it right. If you dont get that, you just dont get it.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I had a couple come to Alaska for a 2 week cycling trip, with tags still on the raingear. They wanted to return it as soon as they got back to Cali.

People do it all the time, but that does not make it right. If you dont get that, you just dont get it.
    I'm not saying to use the thing then return it. I'm saying buy it, keep it packed up as a spare for the trip, if you end up needing it, then you bought it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I replaced the Roco coil with a Cane Creek Cloud Nine on my Prophet 4x. Best "upgrade" I've done for my bike. The Cloud Nine's maiden ride was out at Vancouver's North Shore. Managed to get some air coupled with the odd 3-4ft drops during that ride. Sold my Roco coil the next day.

Oh...I forgot to mention...I weigh in about 240lbs without my pack. Maxxis High Rollers 2.5 in front (30psi), 2.35 in the rear (35psi).

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i got a Fox DHX 5.0 from ebay for cheap. been very happy with it except for the added weight lol

Members who have read this thread: 0