mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Chris King Inset on Rize?

Hi guys and girls, does anyone know if the Chris King Inset headset fits on an '08 Rize?

T.W.O.
    Doubt that, unless they have inset 1.5", the only thing I see on the site are the 1-1/8, and tapered. The 1.5" Kings should fit though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    My stem is 1-1/8th, it's tapered steerer as far as I'm aware. I assume that means it will fit?

T.W.O.
    Unless Cannondale change there MTB design, most if not all of there mtb are one-point-five headtube. I own several cannondale mtb, none are tapered or 1-1/8".

What you may have is the Headset reducer from 1.5"-1-1/8". Check with your LBS, I think the King 1.5", or a devolution is your answer, not the inset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cheers mimi, I suspect you're right about the reducer, it's a lefty thing isn't it? I'll check with the LBS.

mtbr member
    Cannondale Lefty steerer tubes are neither 1 1/8th or 1.5. They are 1 9/16ths. If you have a carbon frame, you need to use Cannondale's bearings. If it's aluminum, you can press in a King or any other 1.5 headset or devolution headset to make the bike compatible with 1 1/8th forks.

Keep in mind, changing the fork could void the Lifetime warranty on your frame

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The King will not work. That vintage Rize has a unique headtube size. The only way to make an 1 1/8 fork work is with the Cannondale supplied reducing headset. Nothing else will fit the Rize. It is not a 1.5 headset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I don't know about the Rize, but the 9 Cannondale mountain frames I've owned (4 Prophets, 2 1FG's, 2 Judges and an F600) have all been compatible with 1.5 headsets. I had a Devo on 2 of my Prophets and 1 Judge. I always took off the crappy Lefty and used a decent fork which requires a headset swap.

Members who have read this thread: 0