mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Choosing the right prophet?

I'm trying to convince my dad to get back into mtn biking and the prophet is the bike we are looking at because a friend of ours runs a shop that sells em. Anyways I'm trying to find out the major differences between the different model lines to determine the best option. Even though the bike is for my father, I will be riding it more then him. I've already got a SC bullit for the heavy duty stuff so I'm not worried about doing drops on the prophet. Just looking for a nice trail setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    I'm trying to convince my dad to get back into mtn biking and the prophet is the bike we are looking at because a friend of ours runs a shop that sells em. Anyways I'm trying to find out the major differences between the different model lines to determine the best option. Even though the bike is for my father, I will be riding it more then him. I've already got a SC bullit for the heavy duty stuff so I'm not worried about doing drops on the prophet. Just looking for a nice trail setup.
    Most people seem to agree that the 1000 is the best bike for the money. I test rode the 800 on the trails a lot and loved it. I actually ended up skipping over the 1000 and just bought a 2000. I've only got about 30 miles on it so far but I really like it. I didn't think I would like the dual controls/rapid rise, but after about 10 rides on the trails with the 800 model, I really started to love them. I don't want to go back now, which was a big part of the reason I went with the 2000, which has them, instead of the 1000 which has the Sram set up. All the models are incredible though. My 2000 weiged 29.25 lbs stock, with the way heavy tires. I think you could easily (price wise) get it down to 27.5-28 lbs just by changing tires and maybe pedals.