mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Ceramic bearings in lefty hub?

Hi,

I am thinking about putting some fresh bearings in my lefty hub, and I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade to ceramic bearings.

Any expierience regarding this? I have talked to a guy at Phil Wood, who said they might have the right size. Any way of getting to see the size# easily?

Best regards
    Lars

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    if you have the hub out, view the bearings and the numbers. there are ceramic available, but wont give you any advantage.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    YOu will get a very slight, but not noticable weight difference. They will last longer, but the you have to see if it's worth it to you.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Lefty bearings sizes: 6805-7mm and 6902. Best but most expensive ceramic bearings are "F1 bearings (Grade 3)" another great alternative are "Enduro bearings". Enduro have both setups: Grade 5 ceramic balls (that are cheaper) and Grade 3 bearings also called Enduro Zero bearings. About Grades, the lower the number the more perfect is the ceramic ball and ABEC refers to the quality of the alloy races that support the ceramic balls (the higher the better). Almost everybody agree that Grade 5 bearings are enough for cycling demands.
    Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by schuster_md; 04-09-2008 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    the speed that cycling uses, ceramics wont give you any advantage except longer lasting, ziscwg said.

mtbr member
    had to dig this thread up from the dead. useful info as I need to replace the bearings on my lefty hub.

mtbr member
    See what you think about the performance of full ceramic, ceramic and regular bearings.
    full ceramic Bearings vs. ceramic bearings vs. regular - YouTube
    I've read somewhere that they WON'T last longer than regular bearings in MTB, road bike maybe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    you will still have steel bearings in your rear hub, so putting ceramics only to front wheel won't give you any advantage. waist of money.

LA CH»VRE
    From personal experiences, ceramic bearings (well the common ones which have ceramic balls rolling on metal races, I haven't tried the full ceramic, balls and races) will wear out faster than steel bearings. I've tried Enduro Grade 5 and ZerÝs in hubs and BBs and they were by far the bearings that had the shortest lifespan. I even did a review of them once, the guys at Enduro read it, contacted me, were great in trying to make me happy, even sent me more ZerÝs to try... same results...

Anyway, They don't roll better enough to notice and the weight difference is ridiculous at best. I think you'd save less than 20gr if you changed every bearings of your bike from steel to ceramic. Ceramic bearings are to me, the most overhyped things in cycling, a pure product of marketing.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by schuster_md View Post
    Lefty bearings sizes: 6805-7mm and 6902. Best but most expensive ceramic bearings are "F1 bearings (Grade 3)" another great alternative are "Enduro bearings". Enduro have both setups: Grade 5 ceramic balls (that are cheaper) and Grade 3 bearings also called Enduro Zero bearings. About Grades, the lower the number the more perfect is the ceramic ball and ABEC refers to the quality of the alloy races that support the ceramic balls (the higher the better). Almost everybody agree that Grade 5 bearings are enough for cycling demands.
    Good luck!
    Sorry for stupid question. newbie
    i'm using crossmax slr for lefty and the other one is crossmax sl for lefty. are the bearing sizes the same? 6805-7mm and 6902? thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm with Dan Gerous. Much better places to spend your money.

Members who have read this thread: 2