mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Catastrophic Jekyll failure

Was riding with my buddy this weekend when this happened to his bike. Some background on the circumstances:

• Bike is about 3 years old
    • Strictly cross-country rides only. No abuse of the bike from that perspective.
    • However, he pushes big gears all the time (never uses granny), thus exerting a lot of twisting torque on the BB.
    • The break occurred on a short uphill after a creek crossing, where one would keep it in a higher gear and just power through the hill. Again, high torque on the BB.

Still, that's quite a remarkable break! Luckily no one was hurt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dmkp621; 10-16-2006 at 09:59 PM.

banned
    Ohh well. He knew what he bought.

MKIV Pilot
    Sep 2006
    I'm glad your buddy didn't get hurt... got any pics?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    It broke because his fork boots are stuffed all the way up to the top of the stanchions= Seriously though, your buddy is heading for a new Prophet, lucky guy! Glad no-one got injured=
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Ohh well. He knew what he bought.
    What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    What does that mean?
    I'd safely assume it's referring to the fact that he bought a Cannondale. Many are just jealous, and cannot find a way to verbalize it without being negative.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    What does that mean?
    What do you think it means? I think Cannondale bikes suck. Is THAT clear enough for you?

Although I do want to try a lefty on the 29er...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Any chance of posting some closeup pictures? I never seen wall thinkness. Does it look like the thinkness is uniform or does it change. I heard it is different at the ends. When it broke did it give any indication or did it just happen quickly.

Thanks

trapped in the soul cage
    What do you think it means? I think Cannondale bikes suck. Is THAT clear enough for you?

There's commitment for you.

mtbr member

nice attitude

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo
    nice attitude
    No big deal... I just don't like the bikes or the company. It isn't the end of your world or anything.

They are trying to recover from their past transgressions anyway. I hope they do.

mtbr member
    What does that mean?
    Another member heading into my ignore list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Don't get your panties all in a wad.. if you stop reading the CANNONDALE forum you might stop being such a smart a$$. Go buy another brand of bike. I hope THAT'S clear enough for you to understand.

banned
    Don't get your panties all in a wad.. if you stop reading the CANNONDALE forum you might stop being such a smart a$$. Go buy another brand of bike. I hope THAT'S clear enough for you to understand.
    Me? I can dislike a bike or a company without panties. It doesn't bother me. The wad is up to the shills. I didn't buy the Cannondale that is now broken. I know better than to buy it in the first place.

Like I said: No big deal.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Me? I can dislike a bike or a company without panties. It doesn't bother me. The wad is up to the shills. I didn't buy the Cannondale that is now broken. I know better than to buy it in the first place.

Bored eh?

LA CHÈVRE
    I was asking myself if KleinAttitude didn't change his name...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by dmkp621
    Was riding with my buddy this weekend when this happened to his bike.
    Yikes. Yer boy must be quite the torquer!

Does C'dale still have their no questions asked replacement policy?
    - -benja- -

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Bored eh?

Broken frames are scary. Gotta stay on top of them. See all those broken Rocky Mountains? Wow... they have issues over there.

I want to see Cannondale brought back to the triumph of the glory days! Cutting edge and conceptually avant garde. A company owned by the proud common man! A company ran by the common man! Frames made of cardboard fiber and epoxy resin with replaceable poly sleeves just because we roll like that!

Cannondale is a public company. It can pay to pay attention. You just never know.

LA CHÈVRE
    3 years without a Lefty or Headshok, I would have broke too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

In all seriousness- why do you read and post on a Cannondale forum when you don't enjoy them? I don't like green vegetables. Have I ever signed up to a health food forum and then began posting to the "veggie lovers" subforum about how much they suck? How I think eating a salad is like pulling leaves off a tree and stuffing them into your mouth (which it basically is)? Do I assert that celery and onions have no place in modern society (YUK)? Do I claim that anybody that wastes valuable stomach space on a nasty-a$$ salad when they could be eating steak is an idiot? No- instead I simply DON'T SIGN UP FOR VEGETABLE FORUMS. If there was a steak or macaroni and cheese forum I might register- but only if there were good pictures.

I want to see Cannondale brought back to the triumph of the glory days! Cutting edge and conceptually avant garde. A company owned by the proud common man! A company ran by the common man! Frames made of cardboard fiber and epoxy resin with replaceable poly sleeves just because we roll like that! Cannondale is a public company. It can pay to pay attention. You just never know.
    Hate to go with the griper, but Amen brother. vitaccop, you're making me hungry= Peace.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I want to see Cannondale brought back to the triumph of the glory days! Cutting edge and conceptually avant garde. A company owned by the proud common man! A company ran by the common man! Frames made of cardboard fiber and epoxy resin with replaceable poly sleeves just because we roll like that!

Cannondale is a public company. It can pay to pay attention. You just never know.
    Just when I thought you were beyond redemption.....

Music & Bikes
    Broken frames are scary. Gotta stay on top of them. See all those broken Rocky Mountains? Wow... they have issues over there.

I REALLY hope you don't have an aluminium bike , because , guess what ???? it's gonna break one day....... Cannondale , Giant , Rocky Mountain , that's the nature of aluminium.
    If you have a 8 pound alu frame , it's gonna last longer but still gonna break one day..

I bought my first CDale in '89 . It broke 3 times. That original frame is now a 2002 CAAD5. I now have 3 of them
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

LA CHÈVRE
    In all seriousness- why do you read and post on a Cannondale forum when you don't enjoy them? I don't like green vegetables. Have I ever signed up to a health food forum and then began posting to the "veggie lovers" subforum about how much they suck? How I think eating a salad is like pulling leaves off a tree and stuffing them into your mouth (which it basically is)? Do I assert that celery and onions have no place in modern society (YUK)? Do I claim that anybody that wastes valuable stomach space on a nasty-a$$ salad when they could be eating steak is an idiot? No- instead I simply DON'T SIGN UP FOR VEGETABLE FORUMS. If there was a steak or macaroni and cheese forum I might register- but only if there were good pictures.
    You are making me hungry...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You are making me hungry...

Oh man.. that's just yummy...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You can find just as many breaks with other companies...locally we have had 3 titus bikes break this season...Ellsworth bikes break a lot as well, seen quite a few of them...same with the Trek's....they had a bad run last year and many where breaking at the piviot.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Church; 10-18-2006 at 08:43 AM.

Crooooow!
    Look at the bright side..at least Cannondale will help you towards a new frame ( still you broke a frame, boo hoo )....UNLIKE Ellsworth...they will BS you for months untill you decide to take them to court and then they will work with you...

mtbr member
    No big deal... I just don't like the bikes or the company. It isn't the end of your world or anything.

They are trying to recover from their past transgressions anyway. I hope they do.

Just out of curiosity 29Colossus, how many Cannondales have you actually owned throughout your extensive cycling career?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

Three sheets to the wind
    From the looks of the fork boots, it kind of looks like the bike took a big hit....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    Just out of curiosity 29Colossus, how many Cannondales have you actually owned throughout your extensive cycling career?
    A couple.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmkp621
    Was riding with my buddy this weekend when this happened to his bike. Some background on the circumstances:

• Bike is about 3 years old
    • Strictly cross-country rides only. No abuse of the bike from that perspective.
    • However, he pushes big gears all the time (never uses granny), thus exerting a lot of twisting torque on the BB.
    • The break occurred on a short uphill after a creek crossing, where one would keep it in a higher gear and just power through the hill. Again, high torque on the BB.

Still, that's quite a remarkable break! Luckily no one was hurt.

Prolly a stress crack that finally gave. I had that happen a couple years ago with my Titus, and also with an i-drive in 2000. The funny thing is, I don't troll the Titus or GT boards telling people they deserve their broken frame because of the brand they choose. I just choose not to buy their bikes, keep my mouth shut, and ride.
    Glad to hear he was not hurt, and I hope he enjoys his new Prophet.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Lucky for him that cannondale has an awesome lifetime frame warranty. Excellent company. Hope he enjoys his new prophet.
    "Ride as fast as possible to acheive the impossible"

'05 Cannondale Prophet 1000

Members who have read this thread: 0