More than somewhat.

Carbon Si Crankset creaking like a mofo.

Mofo's are loud.

I've tried tightening and loosening the bearing set then tightening the set screw to no avail.

Please help me remedy my bike of it's "loud wagon" syndrome!

mtbr member
    You have absolutely no luck with this bike.
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

More than somewhat.
    I know. This bike is doomed.

Luckily it's not mine, and I get to hand it back to the owner in a few weeks.

More than somewhat.
    I need to make a checklist of issues while it's on my mind.

1. Front brake is crap (bought bleed kit, will end me)
    2. Lock-out on fork has about 3/8" of travel before "thunk"
    3 CREAKY crank/BB. It sounds like the Chinese New Year when I pedal the bike
    4. Broken spoke (my bad, fixed it)
    5. The front hub squeals like a cat having a train* run on it by a herd of cape buffalo (infamous SLR seal probably)
    6. I let some air out of the Lefty and it shot spoo all over my hand

*Yeah, not the good kind
    Last edited by Cypress; 04-22-2008 at 09:27 PM.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i have at home 2 male cats ..are yours females ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    What type crankset use? BB30 specific?

If so check the wave washer compresion as also the bearings/circlips situation.

But first are you sure that chinese sound doesn;t come of your pedals?

More than somewhat.
    Definitely not from the pedals. Two different pairs in 3 days, both brand new.

The CS is a BB30 Carbon Si crank made by FSA for Cannondale. I e-mailed customer service at Cannondale asking about the recall as my local dealership isn't really an option.

LA CHÈVRE
    You might have to do a good cleaning throughout: take the pedals off the crank, clean the threads in the crank and on the spindles, re-assemble with clean grease. Do the same with the chainrings, chainring bolts, make sure ever metal to metal surfaces are well cleaned and apply films of clean grease, again, do it between the crankset and BB spindle, every spacers, might even have to clean between the BB bearings and the frame's BB shell... If all that doesn't do it, also check the seatpost, seatpost clamp, seatpost head and saddle rails, creak sounds often travel through frame tubes... and it doesn't take much dirt between two metal surfaces to make some nasty sounds.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

More than somewhat.
    The creaking changes pitch and loudness if I loosen or tighten the bearing preload. I can also grab the non-drive side crank arm with my hand (!) and get it to creak buy pushing/pulling it then rotating it 180º and doing the same, so it's definitely the BB or something near it.

Can the crankset and BB be pulled apart without a crank puller? Does it need anti-seize or grease when I put it back together.

(thank you all for the help)

mtbr member
    Isn't this bike brand spankin new??
    '96 Uber Light
    '00 R3000 TT
    '08 Six13

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yes unscrew the bolt form the nondrive side crankarm (think you need a 8mm hex) and then hit lightly the BB with a mallet and hop must goes of.

But if you want to take of and put back together the bearings you will need special tools from CD.

But still you can ispect -clean and regrease before assembly of the crankarm the bearings

More than somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by baalan
    Isn't this bike brand spankin new??

It's used. But like I said, it's not mine, so I won't have to deal with this for much longer (hopefully).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    I need to make a checklist of issues while it's on my mind.

1. Front brake is crap (bought bleed kit, will end me)
    2. Lock-out on fork has about 3/8" of travel before "thunk"
    3 CREAKY crank/BB. It sounds like the Chinese New Year when I pedal the bike
    4. Broken spoke (my bad, fixed it)
    5. The front hub squeals like a cat having a train* run on it by a herd of cape buffalo (infamous SLR seal probably)
    6. I let some air out of the Lefty and it shot spoo all over my hand

*Yeah, not the good kind
    You are one funny guy! Hey, my front hub squeaks like that too..........

More than somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by shift96
    You are one funny guy! Hey, my front hub squeaks like that too..........

What wheels do you have?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've had the squeaky seal on the front hub before, usually a drop of chain lube after loosening the bolt a bit to get it in there good takes care of it for months at a time. Most of those problems sound to me like the bike just needs to be taken apart and shown some love.

Edit. Getting oil out of the fork isn't unusual. If you add oil to the air chamber it will give the fork a more progressive feel at the bottom of it's travel and somewhat help to prevent harsh bottom outs. I got that tip from C-dale for my SL, as it always bottomed on sharp drops. 25cc of oil in the air chamber and it rides like a dream now!

More than somewhat.
    The oil in my 110 SL looked like somebody got frisky and ji...... -It looked bad.

LA CHÈVRE
    There is often some oil or grease in air forks/shocks, helps keep the pressure and make a good seal at the valve, this is normal.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

More than somewhat.
    Thanks for the reassurance, Dan.

What isn't reassuring is the brake fluid that came out of the front brake when I bled it last night. It was black. Not black like Tina Turner, but more like Wesley Snipes black.

I think somebody put the wrong fluid into it at some point.

Unicycles are for clowns
    Feb 2005

My SLR

My SLR's did the same thing - it is a simple fix - there is a rubber seal that is making that noise and needs to be greased which apparently wasn't done at the Mavic factory. The seal is under the black cap on the drive sive of the hub, remove the front wheel off, then use a pin spanner to remove it. It's a little tiny black rubber seal that you can't believe made all that noise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Solved my SI Hollowgram crank creak with a couple of drops of chain lube. Put oil in the seam between the right crank arm and chain ring spyder. Crank creaks are the worst...every pedal stroke!

More than somewhat.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuna
    My SLR's did the same thing - it is a simple fix - there is a rubber seal that is making that noise and needs to be greased which apparently wasn't done at the Mavic factory. The seal is under the black cap on the drive sive of the hub, remove the front wheel off, then use a pin spanner to remove it. It's a little tiny black rubber seal that you can't believe made all that noise.

This worked. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 1