mtbr member

Carbon Scalpel - XL sizes

I ordered my XL Scalpel back in november 07. Now I hear that the delivery date has been postponed for the 5th time to the end of april Anyone got more information? How sure can I be that it won't be postponed again?
    Thx
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

No good Same here

I ordered a scalpel 2 XL in oktober 2007. I live in Belgium. Now they "say" that it will arrive end of april 2008.

When the bike is not here at the first week of may they can keep it. Or Cannondale has to do something something like a discount. My dealer is willing to refund me the pre payment.

Greetings

Hans

Unit 91
    I too am in a similar situation. Cannondale continues to push back the date even for a warranty upgrade on the new Scalpels. Every other size is out, except the XL. I sure hope Cannondale gets these much awaited XL frames rolling soon.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I ordered a XL frame set 2 weeks ago. They told me early may if things go well. But it could also be late may or early june instead. Had I bought a full bike instead, they could have delivered mid-to-late april. (or so they told me) I'm in Denmark.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh21
    I ordered a XL frame set 2 weeks ago. They told me early may if things go well. But it could also be late may or early june instead. Had I bought a full bike instead, they could have delivered mid-to-late april. (or so they told me) I'm in Denmark.
    Are you saying that full bikes in size XL will be delivered before the naked frames? Now that gives me something to talk about with my lbs
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayba
    Are you saying that full bikes in size XL will be delivered before the naked frames? Now that gives me something to talk about with my lbs
    Kayba
    yep, that's what my LBS told me. I don't know if every single order for a full bike will be shipped before a frame kit, but pretty much.

LA CHÈVRE
    Even though I'm a medium, it might explain my case too...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Unit 91
    Dan, you should be getting yours soon. I have seen medium carbon ones complete.

I have been waiting on an XL warranty since early November...
    Bikes

LA CHÈVRE
    That'd be nice... my first race is May 17th and I'd like to have the time to assemble, adjust, fine-tune and get used to the bike before then... But I'm not getting a complete bike.

Unit 91
    Word on the street is the molds for the XL's are being made this week and production starts next week. Lets keep our fingers crossed!
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's end of April right now. Are the Scalpels size XL furthermore delayed???

mtbr member
    It is true that they ship complete bikes only, until the demand slows, then they ship frame only orders. Your shop should have to you that when you ordered it. I wanted a frame only, but when they told me that, I ordered a complete bike and just sold most of the parts that came with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine wasn't promised until early May. It has been pushed back a week so mid May. I've seen a couple of full equipped scalpels here, so I'm hoping it wont get pushed back further.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh21
    I've seen a couple of full equipped scalpels here, so I'm hoping it wont get pushed back further.
    Are you talking about fully equiped XL bikes?
    My frame is due 2nd half of May now I am seriously considering a Large frame now. Top tube of a Large is still OK for me. The only problem is that the seatpost height will be around 29 cm, but I am tired of the waiting.
    Kayba

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My frame is due 2nd half of May now I am seriously considering a Large frame now. Top tube of a Large is still OK for me. The only problem is that the seatpost height will be around 29 cm, but I am tired of the waiting.
    Kayba
    no sry. I should have written that. Medium, I think

LA CHÈVRE
    Kayba
    Look at Jakob Fuglsang's seatpost:

mtbr member
    That must be around 30 cm of seatpost height too. Do you guys know what kind of seatpost this is?
    Kayba

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Look at Jakob Fuglsang's seatpost:

I look at his setup in amazement. It's as if someone moved things around to make it as ridiculous as possible.
    I have no doubt if he is riding on our team, he is fast as all get out, so he must know what he is doing.

A little of everything
    From an engineering point of view I can understand why they design the frames with these short seat tubes. They get a stiffer frame and the right position for the shock mount. Seat masts aren't in fashion anymore, as they were just a few years ago. They are ugly, but they do the job.
    I ran into the problem with my Rush, where I wanted to use a 350mm seat post and the only option was to go for the xl. The only problem is, that the top tube is a bit too long, so I think I'll have to step down to a large next time and get a 400mm post, though it look strange.
    The picture of Jakob's bike should remind people with the new SL cranks, to cover up their cranks before they wear through the black anodising.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Not looking good

I just heard from a buddy of mine that had a warranty frame ordered back in Nov. too. He just heard from the shop that they cannot get the XL frame mold cleared. It's too large for that weight and it's too frail. They are now offering him an aluminum scalpel frame or a carbon rush. Has anyone else heard anything????

mad aussie
    Its the first time I have heard of problems with the XL, although it could be possible. According to inside rep it seems that a big issue with availability of all models is that Pegasus with an impending sale were not ordering sufficient materials in advance so that has put production way behind. Supposedly Dorel wants to start ramping things up, but that takes time.

kevin

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    According to my last information, my frame will be deliverd end of may. I life in the Netherlands and it's a only a frame and fork. The countdown has started!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    postponed to early june

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

It's early June...

Any news from anyone? Anyone get thiers? I'm just curious if the XLs will ever come off the line.

A little of everything
    Why not get the aluminum version and you can all have it within a week. I read a review in a magazine that said they liked it better than the carbon version, as it felt faster. The carbon apparently felt a little "dead" in comparison.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Why not get the aluminum version and you can all have it within a week. I read a review in a magazine that said they liked it better than the carbon version, as it felt faster. The carbon apparently felt a little "dead" in comparison.
    Because I like the carbon more The alu version doesn't have a BB30 as far as I know??

And no the XL hasn't arrived yet. I don't think they have started producing XL carbon frames yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    According to my last information, the XL frames will arrive week 26. But I won't be surprised if the XL frames are not being made in 2008 and that Cannondale has to modify the Scalpel Carbon so that they can build a XL that is strong enough... I don't think it is a coincidence that the XL carbon frames (Scalpel and Taurine) are smaller than the bikes they build in the past (for example Scalpel Optimo).

A little of everything
    The alu versions I have seen here in Denmark all have the BB30 adaptor installed with normal cranks. It's hard to tell if you don't look closely at the BB shell.

I have hear rumors that some of them doesn't come with the BB30 shell, but might this be because people havn't looked close enough?

The diameter of the BB30 shell isn't much bigger and the installation of external bearings also hides it a bit.

Maby Brad can clear it up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    just to wrap things up. Cannondale can't deliver a XL carbon frame in 2008. At least that is what my LBS told me after talking to Cannondale Europe extensively. What a shame but luckily I'm getting a carbon rush next week

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My LBS just called me, to tell me that my frame is deliverd (XL)!

mtbr member
    That's great news! Show as some pics as soon as you get it.
    Kayba

Members who have read this thread: 0