Carbon Jekyll 2 Initial Impressions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Carbon Jekyll 2 Initial Impressions

I scored a great deal on a 2012 Carbon Jekyll 2. The bike just arrived at my local bike store this Friday. Here are some of my initial impressions of the bike. The first thing that suprised me about the Jekyll was the seattube,it's possible to insert the seattube completely into frame. This insertion capability that Jekyll possess is in stark contrast to my 2011 Claymore 3 which employs an "interrupted" frame design.

Another thing that suprised me about the Carbon Jekyll 2 is it's snapiness the frame,the bike wants to take to take off when you provide pedal input. It's amazing how quickly this bike can accelerate.

This acceleration unfortunately highlights one of the bike's few deficiencies:the brakes. I rode up a set of stairs near my local bike shop and felt that the Elixir 7's just weren't stopping the bike at all. In fact I had to make a few "hardstops" by hitting the fence that was backstopping the stairs.

I've used the Elixir R's on several bikes before and don't understand why the 7's just don't have the stopping. I suspect stopping power (or lack thereof) has something to do with the HSX rotors:they look very thin. It would be interesting to see what the Elixir's 7's could do with a proper set rotors such as Shimano RT-76 or RT-86 rotors. I find it mind boggling that Cannondale didn't equip this bike with Avid Code R's (they're comparable in cost to the Elixir 7's and are far more competent brakes) and G3 rotors.

The Talas 150 fork isn't too bad ,although it feel as smooth as the RC2 Float on my Claymore,I upgraded the fork on my Claymore. However as an all mountain or heavy duty cross bike the Talas 150 seems to work for jumping off of sidewalks. Unfortunately by the time I do any off road riding with my bike I'll probably have the new fork installed (Float 36 RC2 1.5 straight steerer) and won't be able to evaluate the Talas 150 as an offroad fork.

However the Talas feels light and stiff, it makes me wonder if I have should simply opted for a Float and CTD trail adjust upgrade in lieu of a Float 36 RC2 fork swap. With it's current setup the bike feels so quick and agile I may regreting using a larger heavier fork in lieu of upgrading the existing fork.

One thing that I KNOW I'm not going to regret is changing out the brakes to Shimano Saint's. The Elixir's in conjunction with HSX's rotors aren't doing the job. Again there is the issue of moderation with a 203mm front rotor and a 180mm rear rotor I wonder if I've swung too far in the other direction,especially with Saint calipers.

In conclusion I can say aside from the brakes (I can't understand why Cannondale couldn't the current SLX brakes on this bike) I have to say the Jekyll feels like a bad ass machine. It has the speed and agility of a light cross country machine and has enough travel to hit moderate obstacles.

mtbr member
    Was this Jekyll brand new and unused? I'm guessing that the brakes have just not been bedded..

Unstable Corruption

Carbon Jekyll 2 Initial Impressions

an off topic question:
    what's the maximum seatpost insert depth of your claymore? and what size is it?
    thanks)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
    an off topic question:
    what's the maximum seatpost insert depth of your claymore? and what size is it?
    thanks)
    I have approximately 175mm of insertion depth for my medium Claymore.

Regarding the brakes I don't believe the Elixir 7's have bedded so that's certainly a good point. However my Code R's felt much better when I first got them and had significantly more power. Although the Saints(BR-810M) felt good initially they also required some bedding time and it took some time before they achieved full power.

For now I'm shocked at the lack of bite on part of the Elixir 7's/HSX rotors. Although this combo improve it's hard to imagine that this rotor/brakeset will have anything that approaches the power of Saints or even the Code R's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles View Post

Regarding the brakes I don't believe the Elixir 7's have bedded so that's certainly a good point. However my Code R's felt much better when I first got them and had significantly more power. Although the Saints(BR-810M) felt good initially they also required some bedding time and it took some time before they achieved full power.

For now I'm shocked at the lack of bite on part of the Elixir 7's/HSX rotors. Although this combo improve it's hard to imagine that this rotor/brakeset will have anything that approaches the power of Saints or even the Code R's.

Do you know what type of pad compounds are fitted? Different compounds can take longer to bed in. I would suggest you put the Elixir's through a thorough heat cycle and then see how they feel after that before judging them to harshly ....

Unstable Corruption
    Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles View Post
    Thank you for the info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree on the bedding, and pad compound. And sometimes, if the bike is brand new, there may be a protective layer of "stuff" on the rotors that should be cleaned off (with hot water and soap). The Jekyll-2 is a fantastic bike. Would have been my next bike if I hadn't score such a good deal on my Rize 2.

Members who have read this thread: 0