mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Can't put my lefty stem back in.

Do I need a special tool or jig to re-install my Lefty integrated steerer/stem into my 2011 Scalpel? I've been pulling my hair out trying. I can get the top part of the steerer in, but the bottom part won't line up.
    The part that really ticks me is the little rubber washer at the bottom of the headtube.

mtbr member
    I just learned about the Ernie Installation Tool. I'm away from my bike right now... does anyone know the diameter of this tool? I'll go buy a PVC pipe.

Sweater
    I thought I remember hearing that the body of a D-cell Mag light worked too if you've got one of those.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    You're right. I found that out through some searches. I also found out the diameter of the tool is 1.5".
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    After fiddling with the OPI, even with the Ernie, its a bit of work to get it back in, you may need an extra set of hands to hold the fork while you hammer it in. I had luck with putting the top piece in first then the bottom. But I ended up throwing it out. Got the lefty/headshock steerer and using the stem that goes with this set up. Lots stiffer and no creaks. I mean no creaks!!!! Easier to instal/ remove when you want to regrease. Only problem is stem selection is limited to +/-5 or +/-20 and it doesn't look as modern as the OPI. Mind you the Hope and Thompson C'dale stems look good, but Hope only does -5 and Thompson only does a 0 rise.

mtbr member
    I'm not talking about the OPI. I'm using the "not modern" one you mentioned.

mtbr member
    OK. Now I've just installed everything. One more question: there are 2 rubber washers. One thick and one thin. I believe they go on each end of the head-tube. Which one goes where?
    I'm asking because when I turn the bar, one of the 2 lefty clamps grinds on the head tube paint.

Yeah, I know, not cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If it's the XC3 one piece stem, this might help. Thin spacer above the upper clamp, thicker rubber seal between upper clamp and upper headset bearing.

Good luck.
    JD
    Attached Files Attached Files
    '16 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2
    '15 Niner SIR 9 SS
    '14 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj View Post
    If it's the XC3 one piece stem, this might help. Thin spacer above the upper clamp, thicker rubber seal between upper clamp and upper headset bearing.

Good luck.
    JD
    Thanks so much.

Odd that there's no seal between the lower headset bearing and the lower clamp.

Members who have read this thread: 0