mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Cannondale Super V suspension setup

Brothers. So I picked up this 1998 Super V1000 Freeride on eBay. I took it to bits and found that the front oil damper was void of almost all oil so I filled up the cartridge with 10W folk oil. I really know nothing about suspension setups, I am familiar with the words rebound, sag and travel. I am also aware that spring based suspension reacts differently to compressed air. Would somebody care to view my short vid and comment on the suspension and what if anything would need adjustment?

https://youtu.be/ERmnclddVGE

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member

Please observe my sock test vid

Brothers. So I searched youtube and googled and finally decided to take my rear shock off for a quick test. Don't know about you but my shock seems pretty lethargic to me and the spring looks pretty heavyweight.

On the Fastest setting the shock action should be much faster that this, would you agree? Is this something I can remedy by twisting off the cap and topping up with shock 5W oil?

Also my weight is between 150-160lb. Does anybody know if this FOX spring (700 x 157) is too stiff and if so what would would be the right spring? https://youtu.be/413VfONsVuo

mtbr member
    Any chance the MendonCycleSmith could check my vids?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ok, for 'comparison sake' - I have a '98 Super V 500.

Your bike seems to have too much pre-load to start with, in my opinion - only a very heavy casual rider or extremely aggressive middle weight rider would need that much preload on the front or rear.

If I were you, I'd start by dialing back the preload on the fork and rear shock. FWIW - my bike (headshok) feels buttery smooth, and not so bouncy at both ends when trying to replicate your vid demonstration. Good luck - long live the Super V
    Anyone ride the Rubberhead Classic in Canada, mid 90's... race and trials??

mtbr member
    I have adjusted my rebound and preload and it seems much better now. I also topped up the front damper and thats much better now.
    Looks like that spring seems ok... but what do I know

Check it: https://youtu.be/GhJ1feVX1p4

News from RIDEFOX. They have parts for this shock to service it still in stock and have offered to replace the oil and charge the nitrogen up for me - for $140. Much cheaper than a new shock but a bit expensive for a 15-20 min job. Currently I don't have the confidence to attempting replacing the oil DIY stylie and risk rendering the shock totally dead.

I guess this is a 1hr labor rate plus a couple of bucks for a little be of oil and gas, plus any seals required.
    Last edited by rhumphryes; 07-24-2015 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Progress - good. Have you had a chance to ride it off road yet?

Appears the rear shock rebound dampening is still quite good.
    I can't advise on the correct spring...

mtbr member
    Hey Chadio. So I took the bike out for a ride, everything seems sweet. The suspension took all the bumps and going up and down curbs like a fat mans belly taking punches.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    That is a cool ride you have there, enjoy it bro!!!

mtbr member
    Shocking news bros. Fox called me today and apparently they don't have the spare rubber seal thingy that they pass the nitrogen charge through. They have the other bits but not this. So my $140 service is OFF. They did suggest I call RISSE RACING to see if they can do it as one option. The other option is a NOS 2012 FP23 which they can let me have at a fraction of the origin retail price.... A bit disappointed but the FP23 will give me superior options, booom.

mtbr member

Good new and more Good news

Brothers. $200 later and I now have a brand new FOX RP23 Factory with cool Kashima coating and boost valve

This FP23 shock fits great and looks real cool and is less than half the weight. The FP23 is just 214g compared to 498g for the Vanilla RX.

FOX also kindly sent me back my original FOX Vanilla RX and today I get an email from Risse Racing that they CAN rebuild/service my Vanilla RX for $80

So... I am looking like a winner here. For $280 I get a brand new 2012 top of the line air-shock and can get my vintage 1998 spring shock rebuilt as new. .