mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Cannondale Rush with more front travel?

I've just finished a custom build Cannondale aluminium Rush (2008) with a Lefty Speed Carbon DLR2 110mm fork.

I built it to be an 'all mountain' bike, but find the head angle to steep to feel stable on high speed decents.

I want to put a longer fork on it to try to slacken the head angle, improving high speed stability - perhaps a Pike or a Fox Float 120mm fork.

Has anyone put a longer fork on a Rush?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yeah, a 120mm fork would work great with it (like the z models). A fox 120mm fork, a rs reba (09 with 20mm thru axle and 120mm travel) or a marz 44/their xc series, all with 120mm, should work great. I would consider a manitou as well, though i'm not quite up to speed on their xc forks. Good luck on the swap as all build more than a lefty i believe

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Curious: How much axle-to-crown difference is there really going from a Lefty 110mm to an average 120mm? I've heard lefties are longish for their 110mm travel, so I'm wondering if there is much difference.

No intentions of changing, but the mathematician in me is taking over...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    From some other threads on this forum discussing the f120 on the 5z i seem to recall that the lefty dlr2 is 480mm and the f120 is closer to 500mm.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You might try one that is adjustable, incase you dont like it. I run a 130mm velvet R, it might be longish for a rush but it fits the max length the owners manual lists and it rides great. I thought i would shim it and return it to 110mm if it didnt work out. Havent touched it yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoj
    From some other threads on this forum discussing the f120 on the 5z i seem to recall that the lefty dlr2 is 480mm and the f120 is closer to 500mm.
    scratch what i said there, the f120 is approx. 490mm axle to crown. Check out this link provided by Crazylax42 in another thread:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoj
    scratch what i said there, the f120 is approx. 490mm axle to crown. Check out this link provided by Crazylax42 in another thread:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm
    Thanks, so the difference is roughly 1/2 inch (really less) before you start trying to figure out sag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm really liking the slacker head angles of this bike.. do it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you could get a Talas and run it at 140mm downhill, 100mm uphill. I was considering doing this myself if I ever have several hundred dollars to burn (Read: never).

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Dumb question: Does increasing the travel also increase the bottom bracket height?
    I really like the idea of a Rush, but I'm weary of the low bottom bracket.Looks like a longer travel fork would solve that problem.Am I correct?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I dont know why everyone complains about the bottom bracket height. I came off a longer travel bike with a outer bash ring to the Rush with the big ring still on, and I have had no issues whatsoever witht he bb height. Maybe just me though

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the replies - looks like a longer fork might well be the way to go! I'll let you know what it's like if I do it!

The Rush's low BB isn't too much of an issue really - like has been said before, it depends what/where/how you ride. The low BB makes the bike handle well, but there's places where I would be pedaling another bike that I can't on the Rush.

Are other Rush owners using the standard stems? I've got an 80mm 5 degree stem and there seems to be quite a lot of weight on my hands when decending... I've got a 80mm 35 degree stem on order from Cannondale, but here in the UK stuff takes AGES to come!

I know the Rush is branded as a 'marathon' bike by Cannondale - does anyone use the Rush for aggresive trail riding? I just know there is potential in this bike to make a flying machine!

mcoine - That's a seriously nice bike! This is exactly the kind of thing I've got in mind! Anyone with an even more extreme Rush!?

mad aussie
    Another option to consider is to put a 650b front wheel onto the Rush with the well received neomoto tire, Yogiprophet has one on his. His fit with no mods to the Lefty, and will raise the bottom bracket, slack out the geometry by raising the front about 1/2" plus you get some rollover advantage of the bigger wheel. Then if you want to go back to faster geometry you can easily just switch back to 26" on the front.
    Nice thing about the Rush its a very versatile ride, too bad that according to our rep it will be only left in two low end price points next year at 1200 and 1500 dollars, being superseded by the Rize.

Kevin

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    Another option to consider is to put a 650b front wheel onto the Rush with the well received neomoto tire, Yogiprophet has one on his. His fit with no mods to the Lefty, and will raise the bottom bracket, slack out the geometry by raising the front about 1/2" plus you get some rollover advantage of the bigger wheel. Then if you want to go back to faster geometry you can easily just switch back to 26" on the front.
    Nice thing about the Rush its a very versatile ride, too bad that according to our rep it will be only left in two low end price points next year at 1200 and 1500 dollars, being superseded by the Rize.

Kevin
    Yes, the 650b/Neo-moto will give you better high speed stability that the Fox 120.

Did I hear you correctly Kevin, no Carbon rush next year?

mtbr member

130 Max

I am running a Lefty 130 Max on my Rush and it handles fine, just right really, it still steers plenty quick, and it needs all the height it can get..

Quote Originally Posted by speedmetal
    Dumb question: Does increasing the travel also increase the bottom bracket height?
    I really like the idea of a Rush, but I'm weary of the low bottom bracket.Looks like a longer travel fork would solve that problem.Am I correct?
    "A RIDE, that's a GOOD IDEA!"

Members who have read this thread: 1