mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Cannondale Multi-tool

Just wondering, I'm not a long-time Cannondale owner, does anyone actually carry that Cannondale multi-tool in the head tube while riding? If so, how do you keep it from coming apart and falling out through the bottom? If not, what do you plug the head tube with? I like the tool, you can assemble/disassemble the entire bike with it, I've been carrying it in my camelbak since it fell out the bottom of the head tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have one in my Prophet. It never moves unless I take it out and I've never had it come apart while riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I carry mine in the head tube with no problems. The only way I can see it falling out the bottom is if you install in from the bottom. The head tube cover that is on the top is removed and the tool is placed in the top side, with the removed cover being relocated to the under side. I find the I need to tighten the hex heads on the side every so often because they will tend to loosen making removal on the tool difficult. Also lube the O-ring often making it easier to remove when needed.

Daren

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It was installed in the top, but the sides (tire irons) slid off and bounced around in there until they knocked the bottom plug out, and then fell out on the trail. Fortunately I saw the 3 pieces fall off, and stopped to gather them up.

mtbr member
    "I find the I need to tighten the hex heads on the side every so often "
    Those hex heads are hiding under the little round bits of rubber/trim on each side of the Cannondale logos - 4 total.

For a little insurance policy, I rolled up a little piece of duct tape around the edge of the top cap, which is now installed in the bottom of the steerer tube. The duct tape just makes it fit tighter/snugger into the bottom of the tube, and is not visible.

Mine fell apart and fell through the tube when riding once. The above trick fixed it.
    It was kinda cool actually - as the parts fell through the tube, they hit the spinning tire and were shot out forward.(luckily I was able to find everything)
    I'm thinking i could adapt this into some kind of weapons platform:
    Just drop a few marbles or something down the head tube, and the spinning tire will launch them at the rider in front of you.
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-16-2008 at 07:58 PM.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've not had my tool come apart in the head tube. Not quite sure how that could happen. Regardless, when I got the tool I did put some permetex super black silicone sealer around the cap when I put it into the bottom of the head tube. The stuff sticks good and I doubt the cap would come off with out some specific effort.

mtbr member
    "Not quite sure how that could happen."

simple:

Those hex heads mentioned above need to be tight so that the side pieces (not the tire levers, the main side parts) "clench" the top piece. As they loosen over time, the side pieces just don't "hold on" to the top piece tight enough anymore, and when they let go, well, gravity does the rest.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the replies, that was a pretty simple fix.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the question - it reminded me to check my tool. Good thing - it was about to fall apart again.
    hmmm - might have to try some lock-tite in this thing...
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

... and if we just ...

Now that I think about it mine has also fallen out. But I had the bottom of the head tube covered with the plug that originally was on top, preventing the tool from falling to the ground. I apologize for implying that you possibly installed it upside down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How much does one of those tools weigh in total?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mine is 204 grams.

Any ideas on how to keep the tire irons in place? They slide out and come out the bottom of the headtube...

More than somewhat.
    In the headtube?

I keep a SRAM Powerlink taped to the bottom of my stem cap. Great minds, says I.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well I just ditched the top and bottom caps -- precious grams says I :-)

More than somewhat.
    Touché salesman.

They are slightly hefty...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kopaczus
    Any ideas on how to keep the tire irons in place?
    Read a few posts up. Tighten up those hidden hex nuts that we were talking about.
    They hold the whole thing together.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    Read a few posts up. Tighten up those hidden hex nuts that we were talking about.
    They hold the whole thing together.
    Oh yeah, thanks for the tip! I was just wondering where those things were... right under those little round rubber thingies :-)

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress
    In the headtube?

I keep a SRAM Powerlink taped to the bottom of my stem cap. Great minds, says I.
    Thanks for the tip!
    I'll do that too.
    I currently have a powerlink on my xtr chain (works flawlessly) but keeping an extra one is always a good idea!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I jusr rode 966kilometres of the ABSA Cape Epic in South Africa with my Headwrench in the steerer tube of my Rush. It did not budge once. I never needed it either because nothing broke although I did make a small adjustment on the Ergon grips on day 5. Ok I used it once.
    It's been in the headtube oif my bike since Jan 2007 and has never fallen out. can you send a pic of the Headwrench mounted in your steerer tube?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The tool came apart on me a couple of times so I used a few drops of E6000 glue on the steerer tube cap and placed it in the bottom of steerer tube to prevent the loss of any parts.

mtbr member
    I found a pair of the lefty tool tire irons on the trail...anyone need em'?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    anybody got a pic of this multitool...being able to store it in the steering tube would be much better than my pocket, which is swinging around annoyingly
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    http://www.cannondale.com/a_a/gear/0...500.html#tools

My riding buddy has a GT i-Drive and he constantly expresses distaste in my Lefty but he really digs the Lefty Head Wrench Tool and where it mounts on the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    anybody got a pic of this multitool...
    There's a bunch of other pics at the beginning and then a few pages into this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=head+wrench
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    ingenius, have to get one...then it's like riding with the tool right at your fingertips..dont have to take off the backpack and root around for the damn thing
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdrush
    I found a pair of the lefty tool tire irons on the trail...anyone need em'?
    Ilost mine once but found all the bits but then lost it again including the top cap which i had glued in place - I need better glue!!
    I lost mine so could do with some - my guess is your not in Australia!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Old thread I know, but have a question.
    My RZ140 3Z doesn't have a Lefty but rather a Rockshox Revelation. Now I know the typical setup is a 1 1/8 taper down to a 1 1/2 at the crown but it appears the Cannondale spec'd shock has the same diameter steerer tube as a Lefty.
    So.........would the tool fit in my steerer tube if I pushed the star nut down enough to allow the tool to seat and attach the top cap to the bottom of the steerer?
    Any help would be appreciated before I shell out $40.00 only to be disappointed.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Unfortunately it will not fit. Lefty and 1.5" have a different internal diameter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    AAARGH! I was afraid of that.
    Although I am crushed I do appreciate you saving me the money and frustration LOL.

mtbr member
    Now you have an excuse to upgrade to a Lefty!!

Members who have read this thread: 2