Cannondale Long Delivery Times- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Cannondale Long Delivery Times

Anyone have any insight on why it takes Cannondale so long (imo) to deliver on bike orders. Do they employ a "just in time" production method? Is it due to gruppo shortages? I've ordered cars in the past that take less time to build, ship and deliver than it does for Cannondale to do a bike.

Seems to me that this business model would lead to frustrated buyers looking elsewhere for comparable products. Is it common across all bike companies? It's as if Cannondale is a boutique comapny and only have one guy in the back building your bike.

mtbr member
    Spoke to my LBS who are a Cannondale dealer. They are saying that some of their orders 'were' expected this month, now they reckon April/May - but even that is looking doubtful.

mtbr member

Agreed

Cannondale is making some cool stuff, and it seems demand is really high...their marketing and design teams have hit the nail on the head.

If they had a well designed "Just in Time" pull process, the bikes would arrive in about a week. I really feel that they need to resolve this problem, it seems like they would loose significant sales if they don't.

Crazy thing is that the bikes are good enough, most people are waiting. And once you have one, the long lead times for a new bike are great for resale!

Many other bike companies are having the same problem (for the second year in a row!). But some have got it figured out this year.

mtbr member
    if i didnt ride for a lbs that is a cannondale dealer, i would have looked elsewhere. ive paid for my new team scalpel in full after being told it was arriving in Dec. Ive now been told Mar and have little confidence. the LBS has said that 2011 availability is ludicrous.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbal
    if i didnt ride for a lbs that is a cannondale dealer, i would have looked elsewhere. ive paid for my new team scalpel in full after being told it was arriving in Dec. Ive now been told Mar and have little confidence. the LBS has said that 2011 availability is ludicrous.
    Why though? I don't understand that a company that is in the business of making bikes can't make them in a timely manner. Is it due to hard to acquire resources? i.e. ballistec carbon? Is it due to components being in short supply? Is it due to "we make a bike when it is ordered?" Is it due to a high reject rate on frame due to complex manufacturing and rigid standards?

Is demand far out pacing supply? (Find this hard to believe is the root cause given the price Cannondale charges)

WTF? I agree the lack of availability is ludicrous but I can't seem to get an answer from anybody as to why this is the case. My LBS can't explain it, their Cannondale rep can't explain it. What's the big secret? I don't get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They are probably doing it because they dont want to mess up anything with us as we really are new customers for a new company and have to save face for turning their back on North American production so they HAVE TO make sure that we are blown away by the new products or we will turn our backs on them. Run on sentence eh?

BDT
    mtbr member
    Ordered a Flash 29 Carbon 2 on Nov 18th and was told to expect it late Jan / early Feb. Shop called yesterday to tell me it had arrived and I could pick it up today. Guess I got lucky, hope you guys with bikes on order get lucky too.

mtbr member
    The Flash's (29er in particular) had the same issue last year. I suspect anything that is a new frame, requiring new tooling, production process, etc is what is going to be affected. Some people are being told Jun/Jul for Jekylls!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I also suspect that those who negotiate great prices wait longer for their bikes...

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I just emailed my LBS, my Carbon 2 29'er has been on order since (iirc) July.

If delivery is now pushed back until April then I will be re-thinking my 2011 ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 6guitars
    I also suspect that those who negotiate great prices wait longer for their bikes...
    Does it matter what the LBS charges the customer? Doesn't Cannondale still charges the same to the LBS and it's the LBS that loses out in the end?. Also, I think there is little if any room for movement on prices by LBS's tbh.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    I just emailed my LBS, my Carbon 2 29'er has been on order since (iirc) July.

If delivery is now pushed back until April then I will be re-thinking my 2011 ride.
    Wow, almost 1 year from time of order. That's insane. Nio explanation I assume, just a "sorry it's been pushed back"?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was one who was in a waiting line on a warranty replacement of a flash, C'dales long wait time and poor customer service drove me away. Yes they do have some nice bikes and designs but so does a lot of companies out there. The are banking on the Cannondale name to pull them through this. What really happened IMO is they were way under prepared when they moved their service over seas and now playing a wicked game of catch up. This could hurt them big time if the product is rushed and not quality. I walked away and went into a Santa Cruz and could not be happier. As for the replacement of the flash and a 29 platform I will look into Niner or a Pivot mach 429. So long C'Dale you lost this customer. RIP "Dale"

Quote Originally Posted by dkestar
    Wow, almost 1 year from time of order. That's insane. Nio explanation I assume, just a "sorry it's been pushed back"?
    I did get the bike ordered as an employee so it may be they fill "regular" orders first. I do not know for certain that the date is pushed back, I have to wait and see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a 2008 SUper Six on warranty since May 11th. First they said 6-8 wks. Then they said MId August. Then in August they said end of November, no frame yet. I am hoping I get an email on when I'll be getting my replacement. Love the frame, shouldn't have cracked but it did. Hope I find out this week when I should expect the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    i can top that. my frame crumbled on may 29th the replacement isn't dew until february, well that's the next deadline!!!

So who has been longest without a frame/bike?

Right now redster 0229 @ May 11th is out there followed by parkincake with May 29th.

You guys have around 8 weeks on me

Not bithcin', just trying to pass the time !!

Can anyone beat May 11th ?

mtbr member
    May 2010

Right now redster 0229 @ May 11th is out there followed by parkincake with May 29th.

So clearly Cannondale has issues delivering in a timely manner for both new bikes and warranty frames. Does anyone have a reasonable explanation why? When I sit back and try to rationalize this I am at a loss. What's worse is that Cannondale seems to be completely out to lunch on communicating with their customers. If they would tell me a date and hit that date I'd be a little less inclined to get pissed. But being told "x more weeks" every x weeks is really annoying.

Does anyone from Cannondale read this forum? Can you explain why you have issues on delivering your product and managing customer's expectations?

Tool
    I have a feeling a big piece of this puzzle is how good your local C'Dale rep is.

Some reps may be unprepared for your question regarding when you'll have your bike, and therefore guess rather than do the work of getting an accurate estimate. There is also the possibility of the game of telephone if you're talking only to your LBS and not directly to the rep.

I have no idea why C'dales lead times are both so long and variable, but I have a hunch this isn't as much of an issue with their bread and butter products - the bikes you see actually stocked on an LBS floor.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Since I think that this is a part of his image of bicycles that not estan made to the instant, and for that you have to wait a time to obtain it.

Anyhow I continue thinking that it is a lot of time.
    We are riders on our mounts of two wheels, by Catxl.

mtbr member
    Had my Flash 3 29er carbon delivered one week ago. It took a total of 4 weeks to get it, as mentionned by my LBS.
    I could have wait longer since its full winter over here and cannot ride this beauty outside..
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    GOt email from the Warranty Rep, SOmetime January 2011.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I got my SuperX in six weeks...and I thought they were dragging their feet on that

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Please keep in mind that to add value to their business plan, Cannondale has moved their manufacturing from Bedford PA to China/Taiwan. It's clear that this move has yet to added value for their customers. This move literally increases the length of the supply chain creating a logistical nightmare for those new to the game. I realize Cannondale has had bikes come from the far East before, but never on such a scale. My guess is they are experiencing growing pains in their Asian facility and are having issues resolving them. Bottom line is they may be saving money in their manufacturing process but it is currently coming at the expense of customer satisfaction. If they don't figure things out quickly, they will give customers yet another reason to shop the competition.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Does anyone know what the delivery times are for Claymores? Jekylls have been moved back to late March. Are Claymores delayed to the same time as well? If so, then one could dedeuce that the delay is something common to both. Since Claymores don't come in carbin then then next likeliest suspect would be the shock. Pure speculation here, just saying...

mtbr member
    I had ordered my wifes bike from my LBS and actually got it in a month early. They initally told em that it would be mid to late October before we would have the bike and it came in early September. I was pleased but that only leaves more questions as to why other bikes take so long. The bike I ordered was a 2011 Trail 6 women's bike. Are only the carbon bikes takeing a long time to come in?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by arouil1
    I had ordered my wifes bike from my LBS and actually got it in a month early. They initally told em that it would be mid to late October before we would have the bike and it came in early September. I was pleased but that only leaves more questions as to why other bikes take so long. The bike I ordered was a 2011 Trail 6 women's bike. Are only the carbon bikes takeing a long time to come in?
    I think I recall reading that someone reported they got their 2011 Scalpel. 2011 Scalpels only come in carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ordered a Flash Carbon 29er 2 several months ago. Two weeks ago I get a call that a bike with my name on it had arrived but it was a L instead the XL that I ordered. I was told yesterday it would be mid-Mar. I may cancel my order. Someone in shipping screwed up and now me and my LBS get to suffer.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaflyer
    I ordered a Flash Carbon 29er 2 several months ago. Two weeks ago I get a call that a bike with my name on it had arrived but it was a L instead the XL that I ordered. I was told yesterday it would be mid-Mar. I may cancel my order. Someone in shipping screwed up and now me and my LBS get to suffer.
    How do you know it wasn't the LBS' fault?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't. I have another bike shop working on it thru the same regional rep. Maybe I can get some real answers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Claymore is slated for end of Feb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, I ordered my Cannondale Scalpel 2 in early November and the bike already arrived 2 weeks ago at the shop.
    Unfortunately I am 10,000km away, but am flying next week to get it!
    :-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    After our house fire we ordered 3 Cannondales to replace bikes that were lost, a Lexi 1, Flash 29er Carbon 2, and a Jekyll Ultimate. All but the Jekyll have already arrived and are in our possession. I expected delays with the Jekyll, hopefully it will arrive sometime soon.
    2011 Cannondale Flash Carbon 2
    2010 Redline Monocog Flight
    2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2011 Cannondale Jekyl Ultimate

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

I've been waiting since mid March...

My 2008 carbon scalpel had some mis-aligned bonds at the top of the seatstays. I've complained about this to my LBS on numerous occasions and been told its probably within manufactures tolerances . I dropped the bike at a different shop mid march and the mechanic there spotted it and got the 'dale rep to have a look, within 30 minutes i got a call saying they would replace the frame. June/July was the estimated delivery date for the replacement. sometime in October i got a call to say my frame was in. i went round to check it out. the mechanic handed it to me and straight away i realized they'd sent an aluminum frame.... i waited 7 months and they sent the wrong frame ..

I called cannondale's Australian rep and expressed my disappointment. and suggested that given the length of time I'd waited (and the fact that i have 4 other Cannondales to ride in the mean time), i didn't mind waiting a little more to get the 2011 frame. they agreed and i'm still waiting....

Edit: Just realised I'm not 'without a bike' as mine still works, but none the less i've been waiting for a warranty replacement awhile

mtbr member
    I ordered my Flash Carbon 29er 2 yesterday and it has a shipping date of 3/16/2011. That is deeper into the XC season that I was hoping for, but maybe it will ship early.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ordered a XL Flash Carbon 29er 2 in Oct. The wrong size showed up two weeks ago. I was told it would now be mid-March. Nothing could be done. Cancelled order. My Tallboy should be here between Christmas and New Years.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just got an update to my Jekyll order. When I ordered it the delivery time was mid December. Supposedly mine will be out of the first production batch to reach the US. Rep told me today it was late February/early March now. I have a great rep, so I trust that.

May hold onto my Genius 10 a little longer now, Jekyll will be replacing it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Duc Hunter
    Just got an update to my Jekyll order. When I ordered it the delivery time was mid December. Supposedly mine will be out of the first production batch to reach the US. Rep told me today it was late February/early March now. I have a great rep, so I trust that.

May hold onto my Genius 10 a little longer now, Jekyll will be replacing it.
    Thats consistent with what I am hearing. Did they happen to mention what the hold up is? My rep mentioned the shock.

mtbr member
    My 29er Flash 3 Medium took 3 1/2 weeks as told by my LBS (in november).

After trying my bike, my GF decided she wanted the same so i ordered the same machine in Medium size last week. I got the bike in 10 days flat.....

Not much wait in this case....
    Last edited by surf418; 12-18-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Yeah, it seems to really be bike and frame size dependent. My LBS said he could have the Carbon Flash 29er 3 in medium right away. My teammate got his Carbon Flash 29er 2 in about 3 weeks in a size Large. But a Carbon Flash 29er 2 in medium? More than 3 months.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaflyer
    I ordered a XL Flash Carbon 29er 2 in Oct. The wrong size showed up two weeks ago. I was told it would now be mid-March. Nothing could be done. Cancelled order. My Tallboy should be here between Christmas and New Years.

You made a good choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rep said that the Super Six frame warranty replacement is showing mid January. I am not gonna hold my breath, I'll believe it when it shows up.
    Last edited by redster0229; 12-30-2010 at 08:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ordered a 2011 Flash '29er 1 in the first week of November.

Promised "late December".

Picked up yesterday.

mtbr member
    I ordered my cannondale trail sl-3 with an XL frame 12-27-10, was told i can expect it mid feb 2011.

This thread has me worried, i do not want to wait unt the end of the season for my ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dkestar
    Thats consistent with what I am hearing. Did they happen to mention what the hold up is? My rep mentioned the shock.
    Some people have said the shock, not because there are problems but because of its complexity. I have only heard though that they want enough shocks in hand to meet demand. It is more the carbon frames and the new production facility and carbon. They had delivery issues last year (I waited until April 2010 for my Slice frame to be warranty replaced because it was delivered chipped in May 2009.....so I waited almost a year!). Last year, once they started delivering frames they would get a batch out, then a long wait for the next batch. That was unacceptable, from what I hear once they start delivering they want it to be smooth and consistent moving forward.

Remember they are also redesigning the Slice for 2012, the SuperSix Evo has been a long rumored replacement for the SuperSix and the Jekyl is being made in the same factory. What I hear is that Cannondale wants to make sure they have enough production capacity so that when they do start delivering bikes they can meet demand. They also want enough capacity so that when the new Evo and Slice come online (July 2011'ish delivery time for the 2012 models) there is no slow down. They are also, apparently, taking the additional time to continue testing and refining the Jekyll so they do not have any quality issues at all.

Time will tell if this is all true and works. I am still excited to get mine....eventually.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ordered my medium Flash 29er carbon "3" in mid Nov, told early Dec, then early Jan, now Jan 28th... we'll see. Just as long as I get it before March.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Live in Vermont, ordered Flash Carbon 2 in mid November, picked it up yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbiker
    Live in Vermont, ordered Flash Carbon 2 in mid November, picked it up yesterday.
    Carbon 2 29'er?

Which size?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Flash carbon 29er size large. Delivered in less than 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by vtbiker
    Flash carbon 29er size large. Delivered in less than 30 days.
    Thanks..still waiting on the elusive medium !!

mtbr member
    Thanks..still waiting on the elusive medium !!
    Same here!

mtbr member
    It is a Christmas miracle! My shop did not expect my Flash Carbon 29er 2 (Size M) to be in until mid March, but they emailed me this morning and said it had come in early and was ready for me to pick up! Taking it out on its first ride tomorrow night.

Just checked with my LBS. My medium carbon 2 was held at the border on Friday but has now been cleared into Canada.

Customs depot is literally across the road from the LBS but have to wait for brown Santa to deliver it.

mtbr member
    Good news for you guys.

Im hopefull my bike arrives early too.

They do really exist, picked it up last night and started to deconstruct all the "good stuff". Apologies for the blurry picture, it was late and I was cold, I didn't realize the stupid camera focused on the garage door rather than the bike.

One small thing I did notice about the frame: Top of the seat tube where the "model number" is stickered, there is a "4" not a "2". However there's no such model (yet) as a a Carbon 29'er 4.

Tool
    How much weight do you save w/o air in the tires?

Combined with the latest super lightweight pedals made of invisibilium lots and lots

Can be ridden yet and I didn't want sealant to coagulate in the low spot of the tire.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Under commit and over deliver

Cannondale has come through for me. When I initially started this thread it was because they told me that my order placed ealy December would be delivered on Mar 18. Got the call today that the bike is in the shop. Wow, 2 months early! Thanks Cannondale!

mtbr member
    Nice! I placed my order late dec, was told mid feb....kinda getting my hopes up that mine will be early too.

KPH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This sounds like the old furniture store trick - tell your customers delivery is 6 weeks (or months in C'dale case !) then deliver in 4 weeks. Hopefully all the cursing the customer did will be reversed and replaced by happiness and praise when they delivery it 'early' at 4 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by KPH
    This sounds like the old furniture store trick - tell your customers delivery is 6 weeks (or months in C'dale case !) then deliver in 4 weeks. Hopefully all the cursing the customer did will be reversed and replaced by happiness and praise when they delivery it 'early' at 4 weeks
    Not when my date slid from Sept '10 to Nov '10 to "definitely 12th Dec '10" before showing up in first week of January (with a delivery eta of March '11 still displayed the day before it shipped)

When I ordered the bike in July '10 if I had been told it would be 7 months for delivery I would have thought twice about it, I could have had a custom frame made in that time.

Cannondale pulled a fast one on many of us, they over promised and under delivered

Next year if there is not stock on hand at Cannondale I'm not going to order from them.

mtbr member
    Do you buy a new bike every year? Seems alot of cannondale owners do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grip
    Do you buy a new bike every year? Seems alot of cannondale owners do.
    This is my first Cannondale mtb since 2006 but I do change bikes fairly frequently.

mtbr member
    I've been waiting a very long time for my Flash 1 Hi-Mod 29er. I'm jealous of you guys.
    Last edited by brentos; 01-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm not sure about the wait for the flash 3 carbon, but I ordered the bike on tuesday and the shop called me today and said i could pick it up tomorrow. I live in central illinois and i am getting the bike in 3 days. I guess I may have gotten lucky. I'll hopefully post up some pics tomorrow night.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There are a myriad of reasons that affect the delivery times of bikes. I'd say that some long delivery times are the result of LBS issues between the reps and the LBS accounts due or delinquent. If a shop owes Giant, Cannondale or Trek money I'd guess no bikes get shipped til they get caught up with their tab and with the current state of the economy let alone the bike industry I'd also guess that some shops use today's deposit to service yesterdays debt.*

Sent telepathically from my iPhone*

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    There are a myriad of reasons that affect the delivery times of bikes. I'd guess some long delivery times are the result of LBS issues between the reps and the LBS accounts due or delinquent. If a shop owes Giant, Cannondale or Trek money I'd guess no bikes get shipped til they get caught up with their tab and with the current state of the economy let alone the bike industry I'd also guess that some shops use today's deposit to service yesterdays debt.*

Sent telepathically from my iPhone*

mtbr member
    My lbs called today. I can expect my bike. 2-20-2011

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just got my warranty frame Super Six last tuesday. It's a sexy 2011 in Liquigas livery .

mtbr member
    It took my dealer about 3 months to get my Scalpel 2 over here en Denmark. By finally its here, now we just need some desent weather so i can try the thing out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    after 8 months i have a frame awaiting, but...

i originally had a taurine SL which broke. so i asked if it would be possible to do a deal were i get an alloy flash and at a "small cost" a lefty. but my idea of a "small cost" and the shop/rep's is it seems totally different. they want me to pay them 360 plus, that's $575, for a 2007 alloy lefty speed DLR.

any thoughts?

mtbr member
    My 2011 Trail SL-3 came in today. Under 30 days of waiting, when told 60 days from the beginning.

Pretty excited.

Members who have read this thread: 1