mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cannondale Lefty steer tube length

I am doing some research to find out about the length of Cannondale Lefty steer tubes. Please measure your Lefty specific steer tube length and post the results in inches or millimeters. The measurement should be taken from end to end, outside dimensions. Along with the length please list the bike, the year, the tube color; the type of Lefty and any other information you might think is helpful. Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Other than the color shouldn't they all be the same?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Well, I thought so until I recently purchased a black Lefty steer tube off of eBay and the length on it is 8 1/2 inches. The steer tube on my prophet is 8 3/4 inches. Some steer tubes have a hole in the top aligned with the center of the stem and some don't. Some have a thicker flange on the bottom than others. So I don't think they are all the same, not anymore.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Up until 2008 with the XL Rize, the lengths of all cannondale leftys between the upper and lower clamps is about 138mm. My Prophet and Carbon Rush both have about 138mm between the lower clamp and the upper clamp - inside to inside. The outside to outside lengths of the clamps of both bikes is 165mm.
    I have different stems with different heights so the longer steerer may be longer to accomodate a higher stem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ah..interesting.. now that you mention it I recall recently seeing a steerer with that hole in it. I was wondering what was up with that. This is an interesting topic because I have been looking for one of the black steerer tubes and clamps to replace my Lefty Max silver ones. I hate the way the silver top clamp reflects the sun right into my eyes when I ride. I wish I had figured this out before I sold my two old DLR Leftys because they had the black steerer and clamps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So Yogiprophet, what is the length of your steer tubes, outside to outside?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Both are 218mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am still looking for some measurements of Lefty steer tubes, if anyone can help me out.

Members who have read this thread: 0