Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cannondale Habit

238K views 976 replies 133 participants last post by  TheCatalanOne 
#1 ·
Who has ridden one and what are your thoughts? I really like the numbers on this bike and curious what others think. Thanks

#587 ·
They say a picture tells a thousand words so here you go with this rainy morning's little experiment.

To start I weighed my bike, it's a 2016 Habit 1 Carbon of you can't remember:

Coming in at 26.6lbs but that's it's riding weight, i.e. Equipped with Peddling Innovations Catalyst Pedals, Back Country Research strap with tube, tools etc etc.

I measured the 2.6" Nobby Nic on an Ibis 741 rim with a 34mm inner width for comparison:

2.579"

I measured the standard Nobby Nic 2.35" on the Czero 23mm rim:

2.218"

Then I moved the 2.6" over to the Czero rim:

2.487"

Here's the rear wheel with the standard 2.25" Rocket Ron:

2.211"

Then I moved on to the 2.6" Rocket Ron on the rear Czero rim:

2.458"

With plenty of clearance:

And only marginal gains in weight:

We'll see how it rides in the coming weeks once the mud goes and I'm more inclined to ride this bike.

#595 ·
After a quick shakedown lap of a route local to me I can already tell that I'm going to like this setup. These tyres definitely bridge the gap between normal tyres and plus sized. The harsh chatter and discomfort over small features has all but gone and the bike just feels more composed.

I'm running 25psi rear and 22 in the front at the moment, seemed like a good place to start. I'll have to see how I get on as I don't want to damage the rims but I don't see this being an issue.

I can definitely feel a big increase in grip too. My go to bike has 29x3.0" tyres on most of the time so going from that bike back to the standard Habit was a bit of a slidey problem a lot of the time!

The rolling resistance feels about the same as the 2.25" versions of these tyres and so far I can't see any downsides to swapping over to this setup.

#603 ·
Looks great, Daniel! The LBS I bought my Bad Boy from offered me a good deal on this year's H5 and I love the upgrades. Hoping to try a few others this weekend but if nothing changes my mind I'll pull the trigger next week.

Thought I'd share my habit 5 with you guys as it is today! Done some upgrades to it, 1x11, dropper post, new wheels (american classic wide lightning), shorter stem and different bars. I run magic mary up front all year around the rear tyre is different depending on the season.

View attachment 1121287 View attachment 1121293

#600 ·
Hi,
I have a Carbon 2 HAbit (2017) with a 30 t chainring. thinking of getting a 32 oval chainring. As i understand AbsoluteBlack has 6 mm offset for AI integration on their Cannondale chainrings. The chainline will not be otpimbal if i go for that one. I really like the Gold color for the Sram setup in AbsoulteBlacks productline. (would it be possible to fit one of those on the Habit)?
I woll take a look at Garbaruk, i think they have direct mounted for both with and without the AI offset. I have A Garbaruk Oval 34 t on my FSI Hardtail that works nice.

#611 ·
Don't know how to upload a photo
In summary :
I bought my new '16 habit 3 carbon (grey and yellow ) last month as my old hardtail Cannondale with a booty lefty was getting left behind on the Irish technical terrain
The habit is outstanding!
It climbs like a boss - even better perhaps than my hardtail and leaves the others on their 129/140mm trail bikes behind
It accelerates fast - I was worried that it would feel sluggish and it doesn't
I'm happy to do a 40min spin on the road to the trails
Other riders who've tried it are also impressed with its get up and go
Just Fitted a 125mm dropper (crank bros highline )
However the bike has started to creak- thought my frame was cracked till i read the previous posts and saw that other people had the same issue
I Oiled the pivots and the creak has gone and I have just dropped it in to the lbs to check all torq screws and replace the pivot bearings with the enduro 6802's if they think the factory ones aren't good enough
Great bike - as good as all the positive reviews

#614 ·
update

LBS lubed the pivots, tightened some of the pivots as they had gone loose on the first few rides - no creaks now, but they told me to invest in a torq rachet and stay preventative on the maintenance
they didn't feel that the pivots needed to be improved - but I would be interested if any other forum members have felt that the upgrade of bearings improved the bike

#613 · (Edited)
Habit SE 2016

Here is my Habit, Never ridden. Bought in Jan. Upgraded the Wheel-set.

The I23 WTB frequency race with Formula rear hub = 2200g.

My new Sixpack sam rims(25$euro at Bike24) 25internal with dtswiss 350 hub, D-Light spokes comes in at 1600g

I have torn this bike down and weighed most parts. If people are interested I can supply the info. Coming from a XC background, Weight is always something i'm debating on new purchases.

Also thats a 2.6 Ron in the rear, I will be ordering a front. Again at Bike24 very very reasonable price.

Any who hope you guys like the Red rims as much as I do.

Cheers Brad

Attachments

#617 ·
I don't belive that the pivots were lubed very well from the factory. Mine started creaking shortly after buying the bike too. I greased them up and they were good to go. I did them again this winter just to keep on top of it. My stock bearings are good. I use a Performance Tool M195 0-80 in/lb & 0-7 Newton-meter Beam Style Torque Wrench and check the torques occasionally. Do not over-torque as suggested by an earlier post.

#623 ·
Just had the opportunity to weight my Habit 2 today. 12,45 Kg standard kit with tubeless conversion. Does this seem right? I´m a surprised it´s this heavy, and dont see many easy fix to drop significant weight. Even going from 2x to 1x isn´t going to shred that much.

#626 ·
Carbon 3 started out about 28.7lb/ 13kg with pedals, computer mount, cage - after tubeless, going 1x, hollowgram cranks, carbon post, carbon bar it is down to 26.2lbs/11.88kg ready to ride. The wheelset is heavy (Stans rapid) and I can lose around 400g there easily. The bike rides great as is, if I get another lb out of it-mostly wheels- it'll only be better.

#631 ·
Ordered a tool and coil set. Hopefully it is not difficult to fix....
I should not start to mess with my bike i see... Trying to make it tubeless also. front wheel went fine, didnt even need sealant :) put in sealant of course. But the rear wheel do not hold the air. All air is coming out from the valve hole. tighteened it upp and pumped up a couple of times without any success.. any suggestions? Go back to tubes...
Braking more stuff than fixing it......

#639 ·
I would remove the old tape and clean the rim properly then run 2 layers of tape to be safe and to make sure it seals well. If your tape isn't wide enough then overlap in the middle and still use 2 layers for each side. Run your finger around the hollow/channel bit to push the tape down to stick properly. Then punch the valve hole through with something smaller than the diameter of the valve for a snug fit.

#640 ·
OK , so first review ,after the first weeks ... Still in love with the bike
But I have to say what a hell of a demon bike is this , it never stops wanting to climb faster and faster , i keep breaking my strava times , not that I had much of times but .. dammm this thing is great uphill.
On the downhill uau I wasn't expecting that monarch to be that good but is plush and soft when it's necessary , and the bike really feels to be have much more travel that it has .
The lefty ohh the lefty I'm still getting used to the click sound when engages small holes and bumps but it feels nice and plush and travels really high , never a concern to be out of travel . Only thing I noticed is the rebound on the lefty still fighting to understand how to set it up since the old technique I used doesn't work on the lefty.
On one of my rides I Didi felt the arm Pump since it was a big descent with alot of small bumps and stuff , but may be from still getting used to the cockpit.
What a great replacement bike for my rize I do love it and it's so light and nibble and feels solid and ready to take on much gnarly trails .
Still waiting for the trails to dry to really understand on the downhils how it behaves.

Only issue I have until now is the cockpit.. still fighting to setup the reverb remote on the best position...

Enviado do meu SHIELD Tablet K1 através de Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.