mtbr member

Cannondale Fork Trade question, and Rim Swap

If a fork is traded in using the Cannondale Fork Trade program, does the new fork you get have to go on the same bike?

Could I trade the HeadShock from my old 93 Delta V to get a discounted Lefty, but have them install it on my son's F6 instead of the Delta V?

Even with the discount (anyone know what % off you get?), I imagine we'd do better looking for a used one on ebay IF (big if) we ever got serious about putting a Lefty on the F6. If the stars did align and a Lefty were found at a decent price, what hardware would be needed besides a new lefty compatible hub? I guess my fear would be that we'd buy a lefty on ebay, then find we need $400 worth of other parts and labor to get it installed. Since the F6 has the larger head tube, I'm hoping it would just be some nickel and dime parts to get it back to what it was designed for (lefty/headshock).

I doubt we'd go through with this anytime soon, unless it turns out we can get a killer deal on a lefty and the install isn't nasty expensive - but I would like to know what's involved in case something comes up.

Also, as we were checking out the components on my old Delta V, I was wondering if the Richie Vantage Comp rims on the Delta V are better or worse than the WTB DX23's that came on the new F6. Hmmm - middle of the road 15 year old rim vs low end new rims?
    Would putting the Comp's on the F6 be an upgrade or down grade? I have a feeling it's the latter...

Thanks!
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Are you talking to me?

you are talking $.

The exchange program is a joke as far as pricing goes. Remember that in addition to the Lefty, you need a lefty wheel, as well as a disc brake to go with it.

Think used.
    gfy

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I looked to switch my Headshok for a Lefty through that program, but the new Lefty Speed DLR2 would have cost me 700$ (in Canada, dunno how much it would cost in USA)... which is more than the price of a new F6 if i'm right...

mtbr member
    Yeah, $700 is more than the F6 cost new, but we figured it was a good upgradeable frame when we bought it. Sticking a Lefty on it might be cost justified if viewed as transforming it into something approaching a pseudo F2. ($500 bike plus $700 Lefty is still less than an F1 or F2)
    But I think we'll keep a passive eye on the used market though - that kind of $$ is not in the cards right now.

Thanks for the info so far - I forgot about the disk brake thing - adding that to the mental cost of upgrade list - I was just thinking hub, but looks like a whole new wheel and brake would end up happening. Of course, we've already toyed with the idea of a disc brake upgrade someday...

In general, looking long term, would you experts here consider this frame worth upgrading over time with stuff like Lefty and Disc breaks as money and opportunities arise?

The F6 being so inexpensive is what allowed my son to get a Cannondale right now - so as time goes on we are hoping to build it up with some better components. He loves the thing by the way - his prized possession and he rides it all the time - trail, road, where ever.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Members who have read this thread: 0