mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Cannondale company going under?

I was curious if anyone new or heard any rumors about Cannondale going under as a company, or is this just false rumor?

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    No matter, it is a rumour.
    If you search this forum for "Dorel" you will find a couple Lengthy threads....
    Looks like they have been bought by a company that wanted a 'flagship' brand. Hopefully this infuses them with cash and strengthens them
    CDT

mtbr member
    cdale was traded on publicly under bike.

it is now owned by:

Dorel Industries has bought Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, the corporation announced Monday.

Dorel, headquartered in Montréal, owns Pacific Cycle, the parent company of Schwinn, GT and Mongoose. The purchase is reported as an all-cash transaction valued between $190 million and $200 million.

now the question is: will we dorel make wal-mart grade cdales. like they do with their other lines

http://www.velonews.com/article/71784
    http://www.bicycle.net/2008/breaking...dorel-for-200m
    --------------------------------------------------

it is now pink sheeted and not traded:

Last Trade: 0.0250
    Trade Time: Apr 1

CANNONDALE CORP
    (Other OTC: BIKEQ.PK)

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=B...urce=undefined

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    No they won't. They already have a Wal-Mart brand.

Live 2 Ride
    As a Walmart employee all this bad talk about Walmart is really annoying...
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    sorry man, was not meant to say bad things about walmart. i live 1 miles from one and go there quite frequently, just not for bike stuff...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Walmart comes by this image it has, by no fault of it's own I'm sure.......

I feel for employees, the front line folks trying to make a buck, with no other opportunities in their communities anymore, 'cause the big W swept into town, and killed all the other options.

I do not feel badly railing against the company, as they are one of the nastiest, greediest, most short sighted, profit minded, screw the customer and the employee companies in modern history.

It's cute that they are "greenwashing" themselves with better building techniques, and better lighting, but at it's heart, it's still there to save them a few dollars, which the suits keep, and the employees get none of.

Sorry, me, no caffeine in the blood stream yet. I just can't contain my hatred of them, again, the wage earners at Walmart you guys are getting shafted, and for that, I feel badly like you can't believe. So when I see someone getting minimum wage or a buck or two more, standing up defending them, it just makes my blood boil. It's modernized slavery, well indentured servitude might be a better phrase. How much you want to bet the Suits aren't driving beat to heck 16 year old Corolla's with duct tape holding the windows up?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So is Cannondale going to be called Dorel on the bikes, and did I make a bad choice on buying a 08 Cannondale F5?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Walmart comes by this image it has, by no fault of it's own I'm sure.......

I feel for employees, the front line folks trying to make a buck, with no other opportunities in their communities anymore, 'cause the big W swept into town, and killed all the other options.

I do not feel badly railing against the company, as they are one of the nastiest, greediest, most short sighted, profit minded, screw the customer and the employee companies in modern history.

It's cute that they are "greenwashing" themselves with better building techniques, and better lighting, but at it's heart, it's still there to save them a few dollars, which the suits keep, and the employees get none of.

Sorry, me, no caffeine in the blood stream yet. I just can't contain my hatred of them, again, the wage earners at Walmart you guys are getting shafted, and for that, I feel badly like you can't believe. So when I see someone getting minimum wage or a buck or two more, standing up defending them, it just makes my blood boil. It's modernized slavery, well indentured servitude might be a better phrase. How much you want to bet the Suits aren't driving beat to heck 16 year old Corolla's with duct tape holding the windows up?
    You make it sound like the Chicago slaughterhouses. It's not all that extreme. People do have choices, some are quite content shopping and/or working at Walmart. It sure helped during college when I had pennies in my bank account.

Like catnip for people
    Is it noob post month or something?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What made you choose the F5?

I'm having trouble understanding what Cannondale being sold to Dorel has to do with your choice.

mtbr member
    Did you read any of the threads on the subject? they will a much better source of info thatn asking here (every possibility is covered 2x at least in them)

Short answer
    Dorel is now the owner of Cannondale, the bought Cannondale to get into the higher end bike market, part of what they bought was indeed the name and what it stands for.

Only you can answer the the F5 question, does it fit? do you like riding it? is it holding up?

regards
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by csny
    So is Cannondale going to be called Dorel on the bikes, and did I make a bad choice on buying a 08 Cannondale F5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    Is it noob post month or something?
    Nope, that was 2 months ago

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=387009

Ray

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinsj
    What made you choose the F5?

I'm having trouble understanding what Cannondale being sold to Dorel has to do with your choice.
    I'm still a beginner, and quite honestly don't have alot of money.
    I road the F5 and the Rockhopper and they both felt good, but I gave the nod to the F5.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squads
    You make it sound like the Chicago slaughterhouses. It's not all that extreme. People do have choices, some are quite content shopping and/or working at Walmart. It sure helped during college when I had pennies in my bank account.
    Cant argue with that logic, if you want pennies in your account Walmart is the place to work.

I know this is a bike forum, but stores like Walmart have a monstrous impact on an area, some good some bad but they have a HUGE effect and its worth reading about.

http://www.noturnonred.org/2006/04/1...rican-economy/

http://webhost.bridgew.edu/jhayesboh/badbusiness.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4490434.stm

This is a bike forum so I dont think its the place to discuss it, I just thought some of the links may be interesting

regards
    Ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    My suggestion is ride the snot out of the F5. Enjoy your choice and become a better rider. After your wallet and skills can afford an upgrade, get another Cannondale.

LA CHÈVRE
    You all know what I think about this, having met some folks at Dorel, Cannondale's future looks bright and promising, they will stay in true bike stores and will stay a high end brand.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    You all know what I think about this, having met some folks at Dorel, Cannondale's future looks bright and promising, they will stay in true bike stores and will stay a high end brand.
    Good to hear it. Can anyone here fill in these blanks on the new company :
    "Cannondale, _____made in_____" ?

Thanks to Mendon and Ray Lee for saving me time and keystrokes regarding MallWart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinny
    Good to hear it. Can anyone here fill in these blanks on the new company :
    "Cannondale, _____made in_____" ?

Thanks to Mendon and Ray Lee for saving me time and keystrokes regarding MallWart.
    No clue

mtbr member
    Hand made in USA, I would guess it matters more to those of us located in the USA

No clue

LA CHÈVRE
    They are not planning changing this. Most of the manufacturing will stay in the US, everybody in Bethel and Bedford are keeping their jobs. I even heard that they stopped building a few alloy hardtail models in asia and started to make them in the US again since Dorel bought Cannondale.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

"Handmade in USA, Proudly own by Canadian!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous

Cannondale : "Handmade in USA, Proudly own by Canadian!"

mtbr member

i am sure cannondales will still sell under cannondale. cannondale has pretty good brand recognition ...why get rid of that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f3000sl
    Cannondale : "Handmade in USA, Proudly own by Canadian!"

Ford, GM "made in the USA" - assembly mostly in mexico, parts from china
    toyota - made in japan, assemble in USA

global market man ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    Hand made in USA, I would guess it matters more to those of us located in the USA
    Are all Cannondales made in the US? 2008 F5?

mtbr member
    Check out this link

Cannondale - Aluminum Cannondales are made in the U.S. Cannondale, which was owned by founder Joe Montgomery and his son Scott. Cannondale is now owned by its key investment fund after experiencing financial problems. Cannondale's market share appears to have diminished but stabilized.

According to Bicycle Retailer and Industry News in June 2007, low-end Cannondales are made in Taiwan - probably by Fritz-jou. Others are welded and painted in Taiwan then sent to the US for assembly. The Synapse is made by Top Key.

In February 2008, Dorel Industries announced the acquisition of Cannondale and Sugoi clothing in an all-cash transaction of $190 million to $200 million. Dorel purchased Pacific Cycle (Schwinn, Mongoose, and GT Bicycle brands) in 2004.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Are all Cannondales made in the US? 2008 F5?
    Unless it was one of the ones that was very recently rumored to have come back to the US, then no. I'd say no anyway since I haven't seen any hard evidence that any of the "lower end" F-series has been brought back, so in my eyes it's a rumor at this point. You have to go F3 and above (note they have "handmade in the USA" on the seat stays while the F4 and below do not).

Cyclovore

Hey Walmart guy, find a real job

Debbie Shank, a brain damaged Gold Star Mother, had 470,000 in medical expenses after a recent car accident. A former Shelf stocker at Walmart, her family sued the truck company and recieved 700,000 dollars. Wally-farts then sued her to recoup medical costs. The story says that Wallys has a stipulation in its benefit package that entitles it to do this. Commie-mart wins and this disabled women gets the lowest price possible. Smiley face, for us Wal-Mart.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If it was up to you, would you get the 2008 Cannondale F5 Disc or the 2008 Specialized Rockhopper disc???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kline
    Debbie Shank, a brain damaged Gold Star Mother, had 470,000 in medical expenses after a recent car accident...
    I just heard on the radio today that Wal-mart has backed off and will not be going after the $$ she won. Not because they are nice, but due to all the bad PR and nasty-grams sent to them about this matter. They are also "reviewing" their whole policy regarding this stuff.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Cyclovore

great

I'm glad for the family, but Walmart is just protecting their image. I love free markets, however, where are the ethics in American business anymore.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    I just heard on the radio today that Wal-mart has backed off and will not be going after the $$ she won. Not because they are nice, but due to all the bad PR and nasty-grams sent to them about this matter. They are also "reviewing" their whole policy regarding this stuff.

oh yeah, the media would have a field day with that ... the bad pr would COST way more than the money the lady won.

Members who have read this thread: 0