mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Cannondale bikes with lefty in a SMALL = BAD?

Hey guys, there are two bike shops guys now that told me that getting a cannondale with a lefty in a small is not the best idea because they fit goofy. I have a cannondale rush 2006 in a medium right now but I'm 5'5.5 and I need a small frame (anyone wanna swap? hahaha) but now people are trying to push me towards Santa Cruz and Trek. What do you guys think? I really love the lefty fork :-/

LA CHÈVRE
    If you need a short and low stem, it can be a problem but since you are already on a medium, a small would allow you to have a longer stem that should clear the top of the Lefty but still have a shorter distance between the saddle and bars...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    If you need a short and low stem, it can be a problem but since you are already on a medium, a small would allow you to have a longer stem that should clear the top of the Lefty but still have a shorter distance between the saddle and bars...

I think the main issue for me is that I don't have enough standover height--I sort of liked the stretched out feel of the medium but my lower back would hurt from it and that's where I have a stress fracture. The store guys wouldn't explain much in terms of what is so goofy about the fit and they don't have any cannondales for me to try out that are in smalle. One of these is Human Zoom here in Philly--I can't believe they don't have any small C'dales in stock because they claim they don't fit well :-/. Also, I called another bike shop and they said they had an 07' Rush 1 for $1399. From what I understand, 2007 didn't have a Rush 1 except for the carbon version--is that true? If not, how much si the retail on the Rush 1? And do you think there's any way I can call cannondale and ask for a replacement frame for it if I buy it because the 07 is, again, in a medium.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    The lefty can make it more difficult to get the bars low enough if you are really short and want a lower more race like feel. That doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm 5ft even on a good day and ride a small Rush. Out of the box fit might have been better on a trek (or other) but then I wouldn't have had a Cannondale lefty I swapped to flat bars with a healthy sweep and inverted my stem (slight negative rise) fit is pretty darn good now. Thinking about getting a stem with an even greater negative rise (10 or 20 degrees), but I'm not convinced it's necessary yet.

So basically I changed what almost everyone changes to perfect fit on a $1k+ bike (seat, bars, stem) and it fits me fine. Not goofy at all (well, except maybe the "look" of a lefty and a negative rise stem..).

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    Not goofy at all (well, except maybe the "look" of a lefty and a negative rise stem..).
    Really? Should tell Tinker then.

As for the 07 Rush 1 for 1399 it would be a steal since it's the Carbon Frame, full XTR, Crossmax SLR... I would buy it even if it doesn't fit!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

As for the 07 Rush 1 for 1399 it would be a steal since it's the Carbon Frame, full XTR, Crossmax SLR... I would buy it even if it doesn't fit!

lol I called them up again and the guy failed to mention it was hte Rush Féminine 1...lol so I guess no go?

Anyway so what's the general consensus on the small frames? The problem is, I can't find a 2007 or earlier rush in any store in my size and the 08 with lefty starts at $2300 which I definitely can't get. I wouldn't be able to put down over like $1500 or so.

What do you guys think>

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Lefty is a long fork, relatively speaking and this places the controls higher than it probably should for a small bike. At 5' 7" I ride a small Prophet and it feels about right for me. At times I feel that the bike is too small for me but at times I feel that it is too large for me. I have replaced the riser handlebars for a flat bar and it feels better to me now but the front end is still higher than I would prefer. I'm thinking about trying to flip the stem but I don't think it will work.

mtbr member
    I've got kinda the same problem. I'm 5' 5 1/2", and I just picked up a small 07 Scalpel 2. The stock stem was 90mm, but it was too short. I had the shop switch out the 90mm stem for 100mm, but it still feels too upright. They didn't have any 110mm stems, only 120mm and I didn't want to go up that long. I was used to riding on a Fox 80mm fork, so the 110mm Lefty has me sitting up higher. I asked the shop if it was possible to get a negative rise stem and they said "no". I thought that you could.

I'll know more about my fit once my new saddle comes and I install it. Then I can start dialing in the fit where I want it. Right now I have the cockpit length almost the same as what it is on my Gary Fisher, but my front end is higher.

Here's a few pics by the way...
    Attached Images Attached Images

LA CHÈVRE
    Why is it impossible to have a negative rise stem? They didn't have them in stock? With a normal stem, you flip it down (PCC: I would try that if I were you, it will make a slight difference) but the XC3 stem/steerers are available in -5 angles too...

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor
    I asked the shop if it was possible to get a negative rise stem and they said "no". I thought that you could.

I'll know more about my fit once my new saddle comes and I install it. Then I can start dialing in the fit where I want it. Right now I have the cockpit length almost the same as what it is on my Gary Fisher, but my front end is higher.

Here's a few pics by the way...
    BULL. You just flip the positive rise stem over... They are probably correct in that they don't make a specifically negative rise stem, but then there is no reason to, it's identical to a "positive" rise stem flipped upside down (you can even flip the faceplate so you can't tell it's "upside down").

mtbr member
    I think they just didn't know. I've been doing business with this shop since '93. They have given me some killer deals. But the manager is not a mechanic, and the two regular mechanics are still in high school (I think). The owner is a good friend of mine, but he's never there.

What angles are the XC3 stem/steerers available in? Isn't it more difficult to just flip over because of the SI stem/steerer? I didn't know you could just flip the XC3 stem over.

The Martian
    Jan 2007

I'm not sure Tinker would care that it looks a little goofy, and neither do I

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I already posted a thread about this, but I'm beginning to think an XC scalpel may be more for my purposes than the rush even though i love some air and jumps...

What's the most hardcore thing a scalpel can handle? I can "aggressively" jump off curbs at least, right? lol. Also, is a Scalpel 2000 from 06' worth $1400? How good of a deal is it? Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also, the guy at the shop with the femenine Rush 1 in medium said it may fit me at 5' 5.5 because it's built up a bit smaller--what do you guys say?

LA CHÈVRE
    The XC3 cannot be flipped since the steerer has to go downward for obvious reasons... It's available in very high +20°, the regular +5° (95°) and the lower -5° (85°), all in various lengths.

90mm x 85 deg Mfg#: QSD090-5318/BBQ
    100mm x 85 deg Mfg#: QSD100-5318/BBQ
    120mm x 85 deg Mfg#: QSD120-5318/BBQ
    90mm x 95 deg Mfg#: QSD09005318/BBQ
    100mm x 95 deg Mfg#: QSD10005318/BBQ
    120mm x 95 deg Mfg#: QSD12005318/BBQ
    90mm x 20 deg Mfg#: QSD09020318/BBQ
    100mm x 20 deg Mfg#: QSD10020318/BBQ
    120mm x 20 deg Mfg#: QSD12020318/BBQ

mtbr member
    I think you might get teased if people find out you're riding a girls bike. But if it fits, I say go for it. I think I'd want to test ride it first though.

Will they order it for you with no obligation to buy if you don't like it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think you might get teased if people find out you're riding a girls bike. But if it fits, I say go for it. I think I'd want to test ride it first though.

Will they order it for you with no obligation to buy if you don't like it?
    They have it instore. I don' see how you could tell it's a girls bike though--it's white with some darker sky blue accents.

But what do you guys think in terms of fit? I dunno if it's worth $1400--anyone have a retail price for this at how much it came out with? I couldn't find it anywhere.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I think they just didn't know. I've been doing business with this shop since '93. They have given me some killer deals. But the manager is not a mechanic, and the two regular mechanics are still in high school (I think). The owner is a good friend of mine, but he's never there.

What angles are the XC3 stem/steerers available in? Isn't it more difficult to just flip over because of the SI stem/steerer? I didn't know you could just flip the XC3 stem over.
    O, yours is SI, no idea about that. My lefty steerer and stem are separate pieces. Can you convert from the one piece?

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    They have it instore. I don' see how you could tell it's a girls bike though--it's white with some darker sky blue accents.

But what do you guys think in terms of fit? I dunno if it's worth $1400--anyone have a retail price for this at how much it came out with? I couldn't find it anywhere.
    I think it's retail price was $2000 and change, comparable to the 07 Rush 4. IMO, the Rush 4 had better components for the same $$ though (hence why I own that one and not the feminine)

For reference purposes since they post their prices:
    http://mikesbikes.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=1138

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    I think it's retail price was $2000 and change, comparable to the 07 Rush 4. IMO, the Rush 4 had better components for the same $$ though (hence why I own that one and not the feminine)

For reference purposes since they post their prices:
    http://mikesbikes.com/itemdetails.cf...gId=39&id=1138

Anyone know how much the Scalpel 2000 from 2006 was worth new and how much it would be worth used in good condition?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I find this thread really interesting, because at a little over 6' 3", I have the opposite problem with the Lefty - I have to use a very high rise bar to get close to the right bar height. (I've tried a 20 degree rise stem, but for some reason I hated the way that felt). In my opinion, this is a huge problem with the Lefty design. It is a great fork, but they really should make it in three or at least two sizes to allow the Cannondale frames to have different head tube lengths for different size frames.

mad aussie
    I am 5'6" and ride a small Rush. My suggestion is to run a -5 degree Si stem, or perhaps a seperate steerer/stem with the stem flipped. You should also look into running a wide flat bar instead of a riser. I am currently on a Syntace Duraflite Carbon with a 9 degree bend and 620mm wide.
    I believe the new Rize will see a longer crown Lefty for the XL size to help out the ambulating light towers out there. They just need to make a shorter version for the small size and Lefty nirvana awaits all..........

Cannondale Snob
    Get a Super-V and never worry about stand-over height again.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Why is it impossible to have a negative rise stem? They didn't have them in stock? With a normal stem, you flip it down (PCC: I would try that if I were you, it will make a slight difference) but the XC3 stem/steerers are available in -5 angles too...
    I tried flipping the stem on my Prophet and found two problems: the straight handlebar hits the top of the fork, rendering the handlebars less than perpendicular to the direction of travel and the riding position just plain felt weird to me. Maybe I need a longer stem to eliminate the first problem and that may resolve the second problem? I don't know. I've restored it back to the way it was and I will live with it. Thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    After taking my new, size small Scalpel out for a test ride today, it's fairly obvious that I need the 120mm stem and probably a seatpost with some offset. My previous mountain bike was a Gary Fisher Sugar, which has the Genesis geometry. Genesis geometry is supposed to combine a long top tube with a shorter stem for quicker handling. But after getting a bike fit on the Sugar three years ago, they put 120mm stem on it. Hardly what I would call "short".

I think I'll be able to get the fit pretty close to perfect, but maybe I should have gone with medium Scalpel. The seat tube length is the same size for a small and medium, but the top tube would have been 1.5" longer.

Maybe I'm in the weird, in-between zone, where I could go with a small frame and run a longer stem or I can go with a medium frame and run a shorter stem.

The Martian
    Jan 2007

Maybe I'm in the weird, in-between zone, where I could go with a small frame and run a longer stem or I can go with a medium frame and run a shorter stem.
    Could be worse. I'm in that weird, in-between zone where it's either a small frame, no standover, and swept back flat bars and "your HOW SHORT? We don't make a bike frame to fit you!"

mtbr member
    Yeah, I hear ya. If that were the case for me, I think I'd be tempted to try a women's XS frame. My wife is not quite 5'1", and she rides a Trek women's XS hardtail. It seems to fit her fine. But I think the Lefty makes it hard with Cannondales. Until they start making different size head tubes and the compatible Lefty to go with shorter or longer head tubes, this problem will continue for the smaller and larger Cannondale aficionados.

I think I'm going to be fine with the 120mm, -5 degree XC3 stem/steerer. But I'm also going to have to get a seatpost with some more offset.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Yeah, I hear ya. If that were the case for me, I think I'd be tempted to try a women's XS frame. My wife is not quite 5'1", and she rides a Trek women's XS hardtail. It seems to fit her fine. But I think the Lefty makes it hard with Cannondales. Until they start making different size head tubes and the compatible Lefty to go with shorter or longer head tubes, this problem will continue for the smaller and larger Cannondale aficionados.

I think I'm going to be fine with the 120mm, -5 degree XC3 stem/steerer. But I'm also going to have to get a seatpost with some more offset.
    I'm smaller than your wife...by a couple of inches!!

Love the lefty though. Thinking the next toy will be custom or semicustom steel (depending on wether or not I decide I can afford a custom frame). May still have a lefty on it though, despite that annoying front end height issue... I'd really love it if they made the lefty more adjustable for the "extremes".

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i have one on a small f5 rides great

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm 5'6"and a bit (171cm) and sit on the border of the Small nd medium sizes.

I run a +5degree 110mm stem on my Rush 3000 with a Answer Protaper Carbon riser.

negative rise stems are available but also the rider should look at where their seat is postioned. Some people tend to have high ape factor (long arms, short legs) which make it difficult to fit on any bike since everyone builds their bikes around the centre of the bell curve.
    If teh LBS tells you that they can;t fit yo on a Cannondale then they ar not trying to offer you what you want, they are trying to push their own agenda. Walk out the door and go to another shop.

It is possible to fit anyone on a Cannodale with a Lefty.

Members who have read this thread: 0