mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Smile Cannondale Bike F3 Review.

Hi guys,

I am planning to get a cannondale F3. Can anyone tell me where i can read some review about this bike?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I just got mine this week and love it. I took it for its first ride yesterday and only rode 2 miles (was up for 28 hours and did scuba diving in the am) but it was such a sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've had one since last year and also really like...altho I think if I were to do it again, I'd move up to the Lefty model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have an F600 which is the same bike, except that's made around the Furio frame. I loved it and I did a lot of races with it. For the price, it's equipement is pretty decent and it's light (it was about 26 lbs for the medium size with the XM117 wheelset, dunno with the WTB though). You cannot find a stiffer fork than the headshock, even the Lefty (which is 2nd though) and it's working pretty well... but that's one of the reasons why i'm changing it this year, because I want more travel, and I wanted a pair of hydraulic brakes... The BB5 when well adjusted with new pads can have some good braking power, but you have to readjust them very often. But once again, for the price, that's a pretty good deal.... but I would also consider the F2 for the Lefty and the Juicy's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a 2008 F2. The Caffeine frame feels completely different from an Optimo or Furio. The geometry is similar but the rear end handles differently. Instead of the 27.2 seatpost it uses a much larger seatpost. 31.xx if I recall. The whole bike feels smaller.

I have ridden my F2 about 1500 miles so far. It's alright...but not as nice as an Optimo. It's still better than another other racing hardtail out there. You can smoke trails/roads on it.

I'm interested to see how long Caffeines last. My 06 Optimo gave out after about 14,000 miles, the Furio's die after about 7500-10,000 miles. I was only getting 5,000 miles or so out of the CAAD series. Cracked half a dozen of those.

The F3 has many of the same parts on it as a high end 06 Optimo but at a much lower price. Pretty good deal even if you pay MSRP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I picked up a F3 a few months back. I've had some problems with the components... rear freewheel was rubbing, left pedal fell apart, right pedal squeaks, and the headshok blew something but they were able to fix it pretty quick.
    Other wise though the bike rides great, this is my first mountain bike since my super v500. I got sick of the pedal hop on that bike so i decided to go for a hardtail. Man I have so much more power, yes its a rougher ride but im still pretty young so it doesn't bother me much.

Hey apacherider man thats crazy how many miles you put on your bikes. Just wondering are those trail miles? Also how often do you have to replace your shock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I m riding 2007 F3, generally it is a good value bike with good start up with light and stiff caffeine frame and fatty shock and I believe it is the lowest level "Hand Made in USA" cdale

Comparing with the 2008 model I like the component of 2007 model rather than 2008 model.

Mavic XM117+M475 yet is entry level but it is good enough and not heavy, Mavic is good brand for resell in the future you upgrade. 2008' have hydro brake but 2007' BB5 is easy to set up and no worry of the fluid running inside.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jman536
    Hey apacherider man thats crazy how many miles you put on your bikes. Just wondering are those trail miles? Also how often do you have to replace your shock?
    Double track 4x4 roads account for about 60% of those miles, 20% singletrack, 20% road. I live way up on the side of a mountain canyon near Taos(beyond the ski valley) and ride into work everyday. I ride about 40 miles a day, rain/shine/snow. I could actually drive but choose to ride instead. I can stay off the main road by riding down some old dirt roads. One cool thing about my ride is I pass right by Don Rumsfeld's and Julia Roberts properties. I run into them every so often.

I have never had a problem with my Fattys. I have a 1999 Fatty SL with 60,000 miles on it. Only thing I have done with it is replacing the boot twice and greasing under the boot about 3 times a year. It's not 100% anymore but it's still a reliable fork. The 5 position dampening dial still works. This is the model before the Ultra that does not fully lock out. My newest Fatty is an 06 Fatty Ultra DLR. It has 15-16000 miles on it. Never been rebuilt. Just recently it started "topping out" some, which I think is a result of some air bubbles in the wrong chamber. I need to have that fixed but it's no big deal.

Members who have read this thread: 0