Cannondale Bad Boy Solo Questions- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    47

    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo Questions

    Does anybody here had any wheel time on this bike?

    Saw this for the first time at my local REI and was blown away....this is a sick looking bike.
    Did not have the time to bring it down for a test ride.

    Had two specific questions
    1. Would this bike be "single-speedable"?
    2. Can I fit a cross-specific tire instead of the road tires that come stock with it?

    Any other feedback would be appreciate. Weight, Handling, components etc....
    Much appreciated!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gus68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    205
    I love mine. See pics in the post your pic post. I currently have 700ccX38 tires (serfas vida) on them for some extra bite on trails. They work great. I've also got some 26 wheels on order from my lbs that I can swap in when I need them. This is a very sweet bike and weighs about 27 lbs with my SPD pedals without them it would be about 25.5. Very light bike

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    47

    Thanks for the feedback

    I've got a tough choice now. Between this and a Spot Mod SS.
    With the deal at REI this is about 1/3 the price.

    I believe the Spot Mod is a little more "off-roadish" capable, hence the tire swap.
    Also I've seen some builds with a internal gear hub. I suppose I could singlespeed with a ebb.

    I only just saw the thread for the BadBoy pics. I am totally loving this bike. From what sparse reviews I could find, people seem to like it alot.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gus68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    205
    The Bad Boy is pretty sweet. The ability to swap 700c with 26" tires is like having two bikes in one. I replaced the slicks on mine with more of a XC tire so it had a little more bite on paths and trails. 38s are about as big as you can go on the 700 rims. But that's just as good as any XC bike I think. I've been fine on crushed limestone trails even spots where they got a little ruff. I wouldn't keep the slicks on it unless you were only sticking to pavement. Although I never tried them so I'm only guessing.

    I don't know much about the spot mod, but if you prefer drops, you can put them on the BB. Some of the bikes in the pic thread are set up that way and it seems to work. I guess bottom line is that this frame should be able to take the abuse as well as any dedicated mountain bike. If you get the suspension, it just wont have as much travel or ability to adjust the resistance but this isn't the type of bike you're going to fly down a mountain with anyway.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    47
    Hey Gus,
    yeah...I ride a singlespeed rigid 29er MTB right now.
    so a BBS would definitely be a switch.

    It looks like some folks have gone to a SS setup in the picture thread, but I wonder if that will hold up in the long run.

    A CX tire with the lefty shock will help with the terrible roads on my commute. I currently ride my MTB to work, (5 miles each way) so gears will definitely help with the time. Keeping gears would not be a minus in my book

    The MTB trails I ride are straight up dirt/gravel singletrack, nothing crazy with roots or huge rocks or drops, so with a CX tire i can definitely ride this bike TO the trail and ON the trail.

    I'll start asking q's in the picture forum for feedback on the singlespeed aspect. THanks for your help!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    30

    Cannondale Bad Boy 1 2012 Flat Tire

    I just got the 2012 Bad Boy 1 - 2 rides and already a flat on the front wheel. I hope this isn't as sign of the future. The slick tires look cool but expect I will be chaning them soon - what a stupid marketing gimick. I was just riding on the street.

    How do I remove the front wheel. The owners manual does say

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    30

    Slicks Suck In My Opinion

    Quote Originally Posted by Gus68 View Post
    The Bad Boy is pretty sweet. The ability to swap 700c with 26" tires is like having two bikes in one. I replaced the slicks on mine with more of a XC tire so it had a little more bite on paths and trails. 38s are about as big as you can go on the 700 rims. But that's just as good as any XC bike I think. I've been fine on crushed limestone trails even spots where they got a little ruff. I wouldn't keep the slicks on it unless you were only sticking to pavement. Although I never tried them so I'm only guessing.

    I don't know much about the spot mod, but if you prefer drops, you can put them on the BB. Some of the bikes in the pic thread are set up that way and it seems to work. I guess bottom line is that this frame should be able to take the abuse as well as any dedicated mountain bike. If you get the suspension, it just wont have as much travel or ability to adjust the resistance but this isn't the type of bike you're going to fly down a mountain with anyway.
    only road mine twice and already a flat. I will be taking the slicks off - maybe I was just unlucky but that is unfortunate and likely a bad choice on Cannondale's apart in my opinion

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by gcclubs View Post
    I just got the 2012 Bad Boy 1 - 2 rides and already a flat on the front wheel. I hope this isn't as sign of the future. The slick tires look cool but expect I will be chaning them soon - what a stupid marketing gimick. I was just riding on the street.

    How do I remove the front wheel. The owners manual does say
    If its a solo you don't even need too take the wheel off, but I would

    Take the brake caliper off then its a 5mm allen key (I think), very easy.

    I only got a couple hundred miles on my bad boy so far on the slicks, no problems yet.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gus68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by gcclubs View Post
    only road mine twice and already a flat. I will be taking the slicks off - maybe I was just unlucky but that is unfortunate and likely a bad choice on Cannondale's apart in my opinion
    So a flat tire is a sign of a bad bicycle?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus68 View Post
    So a flat tire is a sign of a bad bicycle?
    Exactly. I did not quite understand how he arrived at that conclusion either or him calling the bike a "marketing gimmick."

  11. #11
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus68 View Post
    So a flat tire is a sign of a bad bicycle?
    Of Course !

    Like an empty gas tank only happens on bad cars.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Of Course !

    Like an empty gas tank only happens on bad cars.
    where exactly did I say that the flat on the tire makes the bike a bad bike? All I was saying is that I think the slicks which have a cool look may not be the best real world choice. So sorry I seem to have offended you somehow. I think the bike is great. I like the bike and am happy with it, I just think the tires may not be the best choice. That is obviously just my opinion and I may well be totally wrong.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    Hi there,

    Did you get the BB Solo? I own a 2011 model, and just had the folk crack severely ant the bottom end whilst riding home on my commute. Crazy! the front wheel only stay on with the brake...I'm contacting Cannondale now to see what they say...FYI, I've had it for 1.5 years, and only ridden it on the road for my 7km commute from Hawthorn to Melbourne CBD...be interested in anybody else has had any problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.