mtbr member
    May 2007

Cane Creek Double XC reducer headset problem?

I just finished the build on my son's new to him small Jekyll. The only problem I encountered is with the headset. It pressed in nicely. But when I assembled it, the top "blue" bearing ring is not tight. There is too much space between the cup where the bearing sits and the top cap of the headset. Everything is put together right but the blue ring isn't tight. Its as if the chrome split ring that goes on the stem is too thick and doesn't let the top cap of the headset come down to seat on the blue ring. Has anybody else encountered this with the CC headset? If so, how did you fix it? Or did you? The headset works perfect, I'm just worried about grime and water getting past the blue ring and contaminating the bearings. Thanks.

BigRing
    Mar 2004
    The blue ring just sort of "floats" in there. The bearings are sealed and if they do eventually go bad, any 41mm 36degree x 45degree IS bearing will fit. I would coat the bearings with grease, slap it all together, and enjoy. If you ever do have any questions you can always call CC at 1-800-234-2725.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the help. I thought I had gotten a defective headset. I took it apart and checked everything again this morning and its all good. That's right, it just seems to float there. I wish they had mentioned it in the instructions.

Members who have read this thread: 0