mtbr member

CAADX SRAM Rival Disc - Who has one?

I currently own and ride a Cannondale CAADX 105 with mini v brakes and would like to own a Cross bike with disc brakes.

Thinking of upgrading to a SRAM rival disc, any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just got a 2015 CAADX with Rival Disc Hydro. After about 20 miles (3 rides). Incredible vibrations from both front and rear. LBS is calling to find out what it could be. But the rotor has lots of perpendicular slots. It may be grabbing those slots. Other rotors have slots going with the direction of travel???

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I have a 2015 CAADX Rival Hydro too. I have had it for 15 months and it has been nothing but trouble. The frame has eyelets so I have a rack fitted for commuting which is removed for longer offroad bits. I also get enormous vibrations from the rear triangle up the seat post with or without the rack. I found a youtube video yesterday which shows how much (lots) the disc side seat stay flexes under light braking. I thought I had setup issues as I bought it online but I now think the frame is fundamentally not strong enough to take the hydro disc brakes. I am now talking to the online retailer for a refund (or swap). Did you ever get your bike sorted?

Pogo Lover
    Jan 2006
    Mine had similar issues. Talked to sram and they warrantied the rotors and pads. And we changed how the hose is routed along the rear stay to the caliper, after the last ziptie, route outside the frame to put leverage on the hose (had to change the angle of the hose at the banjo bolt). All issues solved with a season of CX racing in the wet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've had the Ultegra version with the "non-series" Shimano disc brakes for 6 months. I have none of the issues you guys are referring to and I usually have a rack on the bike as I use it to haul my little girl around a good bit.

ac

mtbr member
    Not going to be much help to the specifics of SRAM hydro. Mine is the Ultegra with mechanical disks. I have well over 3000 miles on it, gravel, commuting and cross racing. I did swap out the house brand brakes with Avid BB7 (SRAM) and they're noticeably better if a little more loud when wet. They work fine with the Ultegra brifters BTW.
    I do have SRAM hydro brakes on my mountain bike, they're vicious. Never had a stronger brake on any bike I've ever owned.

mtbr member
    I have the SuperX Rival and I'm taking my bike in because of the brake issue. They stop awesome but grind like holy hell. I was planning to upgrade the rotors anyways...but still kinda ridiculous the stock ones don't at least work. Debating on Shimano Icetech or Hope floating rotors. I read great things about the Icetech and I have some Hopes and know they are pretty awesome.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    So I'm being told by my shop that Icetech rotors won't work on SRAM road brakes. Something about the carrier hitting the caliper. So that sucks. I have Hope rotors on one of my bikes so I'm going to try the 160 on the front of my CX to see if that works but I'm leaving town in the morning and won't be back until Friday so I won't be able to try until then. If nothing else...there's the SRAM floating rotors that I'd imagine would work on the Rival calipers.

The shop messed around with the stock rotors and got them straight...they were warped from day one. But the grind/clicking noise is still there. They suggested perhaps trying different pads...maybe a semi metallic but agreed that no matter what, it shouldn't be doing what it's doing and said they'd definitely work on it as a warranty issue if/when it needs to go that route.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Back from my trip and I just swapped out one of the Hope rotors from my mountain bike onto my CX bike. I can only do one since only one is 160mm...the other is 183mm. Anyways...threw it on the front. It fits perfect and no rubbing of the carrier on the caliber. But...the Hope is made different than the Icetech in that the carrier is flush with the actual braking part of the rotor so there's nothing to contact the caliper except the large rivets that hold the two pieces of the rotor together. So the Hope floating rotors WILL indeed fit.

Not sure yet if it will fix the issue though. I'll edit this in a bit once I can ride the bike a little and see what happens.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1