mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Buying a Prophet 600

Test rode on the weekend. As soon as I sell my motorcycle I'm getting one. Any changes I should do right away.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slinger
    Test rode on the weekend. As soon as I sell my motorcycle I'm getting one. Any changes I should do right away.

Thanks
    I picked up mine yesterday and went for a short ride and the brakes seem a bit soft.
    Hoping these will bed in over the next couple of days.

mtbr member

my plan

going to pick one up in a couple of weeks.

The stock bike looks as if it can be ridden pretty hard as a trail bike. But since I plan on taking some drops, here is what I plan on doing:

1. swapping the Radium rear shock with a simple Fox Vanilla R Coil (spare I have sitting around).
    2. swapping the brakes with Hayes Nine carbon ($89.99 pre-bled)
    3.probably throw an extra firm coil in the Lefty since I know the stock set up would bottom too easily.

Other than that...I'm just going to ride it until the stock stuff wears out...or breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by slinger

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    going to pick one up in a couple of weeks.

The stock bike looks as if it can be ridden pretty hard as a trail bike. But since I plan on taking some drops, here is what I plan on doing:

1. swapping the Radium rear shock with a simple Fox Vanilla R Coil (spare I have sitting around).
    2. swapping the brakes with Hayes Nine carbon ($89.99 pre-bled)
    3.probably throw an extra firm coil in the Lefty since I know the stock set up would bottom too easily.

Other than that...I'm just going to ride it until the stock stuff wears out...or breaks.
    Radium is better than I expected but I've not ridden a bike with a fox... Needs a bit of tweaking to get the pressure right. Will play with the rebound over the course of the next week.

The UK spec comes with Hayes Nine (presume carbon).

Going on first proper ride next weekend so will see how it holds up then!

As I got an XL frame does that come with an extra firm coil? How do you adjust the stiffness on the front?

Cheers

Nick

can o ale
    just got my 600 about two weeks a go. brakes were really soft at first but stiffend up quite nicely after about 15 miles of riding. i immedietly chunked the crappy stock levers and replaced them with avid sl 7's. they have a great look and even better feel. the stock spring in my lefty is very plush and was i bit concerned about it,but i really havent bottomed it out yet. there are a couple of drops at the local trails that range from about 3 to five foot drops to transition and the fork and shock felt pretty nice.overall i am really stoked about the bike. hope you like yours as much as i like mine!!
    I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone… but they've always worked for me," . Hunter S Thompson

Cyclovore

changes

I've had my 600 since November 04. The first thing to do is pull the tubes and install Stans tubless system, this will lighten your wheelset. Second, get rid of those wire bead Trailbear tires and install a Kevlar bead High Volume tire set. After your drivetrain starts to wear you can lighten it up with a PG 990 cassette and chain. This will give you as light as you can get until your wheelset needs replaced. Since your coming from a motorcycle background I suggest you take your prophet to Rays MTB Park in Cleveland, OH. If you go, and you find yourself on the big drop stunt, do not hesitate, if you hesitate you will fall of the edge about eight feet to a concrete floor and break your wrist. Be careful and good luck.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

coil spring on a prophet....

....beware switching an air shock to a coil on a prophet...

Prophets are designed to be used with a rising-rate air spring: ie the more you compress, the harder it is to compress- each incremental 1/8 travel takes progressivelya more and more force to move through each 1/8 inch increment ie 2, 6, 12, 20, 30, 42 etc

If I understand correctly, a coil spring offers a linear rate which is the same additional amount of force per 1/8 inch travel. ie 2, 4, 6, 8, 10,12, 14 etc

What this means is that on a coil spring you will blow through the suspension range very easily.

I may be wrong on this but I dont think so...
    R.I.P 26ers....

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile

Prophets are designed to be used with a rising-rate air spring: ie the more you compress, the harder it is to compress- each incremental 1/8 travel takes progressivelya more and more force to move through each 1/8 inch increment ie 2, 6, 12, 20, 30, 42 etc

If I understand correctly, a coil spring offers a linear rate which is the same additional amount of force per 1/8 inch travel. ie 2, 4, 6, 8, 10,12, 14 etc

What this means is that on a coil spring you will blow through the suspension range very easily.

I may be wrong on this but I dont think so...
    I have a Prophet I put a 3-way coil on, and I weigh 250. It's fine.

I never do drops usually, but I was lofting 2-3 feet at Kenter a couple weeks ago, no problems. I understand in theory everything you say is true, but in practice, it's no biggie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    With a pivot point very similar to the Gemini I doubt it.. Besides, doesn't Cannondale offer a standard coil spring Prophet?

I'm of the opinion that mechanically, a coil spring rear shock is a better match to the coil spring Lefty fork. Oh well.

'05 Prophet 1000Z
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is not Nam. This is bowling. There are rules. -Walter Sobchak