Oz
    mtbr member

broken 1995 headshok

I have a 1995 F700 with a broken headshok. Cannondale has informed me that parts are no longer available for the fork. I am looking into the fork upgrade program, but I'm concerned that the cost really won't be a great deal. The fork currently has 50mm of travel and the frame is not disk brake compatible so that limits my choices of replacement forks. Does anyone have any thoughts on what fork I should put on the bike? I have been looking at other brands of forks instead of getting another headshok. I don't want to spend more money than the bikes worth so price is also a factor. Please share your thoughts on what I should do. Thanks, Jim.

mtbr member

can you lock out the shock still?

just save up for a new bike. most shocks cost like 300 or so and the conversion kit to replace the head shock on cannondales cost abit and the labor would probaly put you around 500. and with 500 or 700 more you can get a nice close out deal on a 2007 bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Look for a newer used Headshock with V brake mounts on Ebay etc. they are often quite cheap if they dont have disk mounts as well. I have a '99 Fatty D on a '96 Super V. Fitted right in with no extra parts to buy. Increased travel at 60 or 80 mm too.
    Buying new even a cheap fork will be a no no.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Older headshoks go for pretty low prices on Ebay. Look for a 1998-99 Fatty SL. 70mm of travel plus it has the important v-brake tabs you will need. Should cost under $50.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I just swapped out the P-Bone on my 1999 F500 for a Headshok DL off a 2004 F1000, was a relatively easy operation. As my CAAD 2 frame has no disc tabs, i run a disc at the front and v-brake at the rear. Works quite well. There seems to be the occasional Headshok floating around on ebay.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Broken how?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Oz
    mtbr member
    The bolt that goes through the adjuster dial on top of the stem and into the shock broke. The bike is still rideable but the only way to adjust the shock is to remove the knob and put an allen wrench inside the headtube, not real practical when out riding.

DV

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vadar
    The bolt that goes through the adjuster dial on top of the stem and into the shock broke. The bike is still rideable but the only way to adjust the shock is to remove the knob and put an allen wrench inside the headtube, not real practical when out riding.

DV
    Confused. This is how you adjust the shocks preload normally anyway. You're saying the bolt that holds the lockout knob on, broke? The big nut the knob sits on is there, and functioning? Just get a new bolt, I've got dozens in stock, and any shop ought to be able to set you up, even if the head of the bolt is different, it's fine.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Oz
    mtbr member
    Maybe I'm not describing it correctly, I'm not sure. It is the nut that goes through the knob and into the headshok. I think the problem is that the bolt is broken off inside the headshok. The knob comes all the way off the frame and there is just barely enough of the bolt to attach it to the fork. The fork works and I have been riding the bike but the dealer and the Cannondale rep both have said that the part cannot be replaced so I am looking into the fork upgrade program or a replacement fork of some kind. I would like to think the lbs and rep are being honest about the situation and not just looking to make some money off me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the thing is 13 years old. move on. buy a fisher or a salsa

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    buy a prophet

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you really like the bike, buy another Headshok with disk tabs if you want to go that route. Keep the rear a V brake. My 96-97 Super V with the Headshock still rocks. Now my fiancÚ rides that. Otherwise step up to a newer full suspension.

mtbr member
    Darth, can you post some pics of the damage?

Also - speaking as someone who came from an old headshock bike - if you can at all afford it, check out a Prophet - all of a sudden you might not care about fixing the old headshock.
    However, if you can't or don't want to spend $$ on a new bike - STAY AWAY from them!!! If you ride one you'll be hooked and will sell your children to finance the upgrade if needed. (I use to have 3 kids, now only two).
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Oz
    mtbr member
    The bike is sitting in the shop right now, but I will see if I can post a pic soon. I honestly don't care about fixing it that badly if it is going to cost too much. I will probably buy a new bike soon so I don't want to invest too much in this one. I realize that with the age of the bike it is not worth spending too much. I have been looking on ebay to see if I could buy a headshok to replace mine, or the lbs said they would give me a really good deal on a new fork. I can get a Rockshox Tora, headset, reducer, and stem for around $300. This is a great price, I just can't decide if I want to spend the money or save it towards the purchase of another bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vadar
    I would like to think the lbs and rep are being honest about the situation and not just looking to make some money off me.
    They might be, but they also may just me clueless. There's a DD60 upgrade kit, still readily available from Cannondale. It contains a damper cartridge and knob, all you need to be fully functional again. Even a spacer to drop it to 50mm for older forks. They are still in stock, as I ordered one 2 weeks ago. Go git 'em tiger

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Darth and Mendon - I think I have the same headshok on my 93 Delta V700 - thought I'd chime in with my experience and try to get a little help too...

How much is that DD60 upgrade kit?
    When I emailed Cannondale about my old headshock, they said it's not serviceable, and told me about the trade program. But then at the same time sent PDF parts list showing that upgrade kit (and others) as a replacement part.
    Confused the hell out of me.

How easy is the kit to install? I've changed lefty springs, so I can handle the basics. I think the local dealer might let me borrow a castle tool too....

Last season I was able to breath a little life into my old headshock by cleaning and regreasing under the boot. But it's degraded again and WAY over due for complete overhual.

In the email, There are diagrams attached for a replacement part called ACART
    Another PDF lists "Headshock Type 1" Orginal cart not available.
    Compatible Cartridges:
    ACART
    FATTY 50
    DD 50
    DD 60

This is the email I got from Heather at Cannondale when I inquired:

"Thank you for contacting Cannondale. The size 17 inch frame was handcrafted right here in Bedford, Pennsylvania, USA in June of 1992 and was the 5,502nd frame produced that month. It is the 1993 Delta V model. It was an air/oil system. Please keep in mind that the “Jurassic” 50mm travel HeadShok forks are no longer serviceable; the parts are no longer available. We do offer an Aftermarket Exchange Program where one can trade in their current Cannondale frame and/or fork for a new frame and/or fork at a reduced retail. Your local Cannondale Retailer can provide further information on this program. The Find a Dealer link on our website www.cannondale.com can help you to find a Cannondale Retailer near you. We hope that the attachments will be helpful to you."

When I emailed back for elaboration about replacement cart vs whole fork, she said:

"You are very welcome! There is not a replacement cartridge available for the 50mm travel forks; the threading and sizes are different. The Aftermarket Exchange Program would be for an entire fork, both fork body and internals."

So - technically she's right - no replacement 50mm... but I can replace it with a 60mm??
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    So - technically she's right - no replacement 50mm... but I can replace it with a 60mm??
    She's clueless. They used the same threading on the headshock will 2003. A new cart will run about $120, and are still quite available.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Mendon - just checked with my LBS and they can indeed get that part.
    I was gonna be adventurous and try it myself, but they're giving me a pretty good price on labor. They're gonna take it apart, evaluate, and order a DD 60 if the problem really is the cart.
    Gettin' a new boot for it too ($10).

So, looks like my Delta V will ride again!!

Darth - If you're not aware of this - Mendon can usually get and install parts and is highly recommended (though he doesn't toot his own horn). If you don't have an LBS up to the task or just want the part- definitely check with him for service!!

Edit - PM me your email addy if you'd like to see those PDF's that Cannondale sent me. There's an an exploded view of shock, part # info, etc.
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-08-2008 at 01:25 PM.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Oz
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys, I will check with my LBS about the part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    She's clueless. They used the same threading on the headshock will 2003. A new cart will run about $120, and are still quite available.

Well, i just got a call from my LBS - they said the part didn't fit. I asked it it was a DD60 they got, and they said yes. They said they talked to their Cannondale rep, he checked and said there's nothing compatible with that headshock (from the 93 delta V 700). Kinda strange - Mendon and a Cannondale PDF I have indicate it should work. Any ideas what gives?

Edit - here's a link to the doc showing a DD60 should fit:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdr01930/DeltaVFork.pdf
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-21-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Oz
    mtbr member
    It has been a couple of weeks since my last reply on this thread but I wanted to put out the latest info. I have been given. The rep said in order to replace the headshok on the fork exchange program it would cost $360.00 because Cannondale would have to make a custom fork for my bike because of its age. I find this very hard to believe and think I am about done with the headshok idea. The shop where the bolt was broken, not a Cannondale shop by the way, said they would sell me any fork, stem and headset I want at cost and install it for free. I think this is the route I will go. I was looking at the Rockshox Reba or Sid. I need v brake tabs on the fork and this seems to limit some of my choices. Any thought on which fork would be better or any other fork for that matter would be apperciated.

DV

Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    Well, i just got a call from my LBS - they said the part didn't fit. I asked it it was a DD60 they got, and they said yes. They said they talked to their Cannondale rep, he checked and said there's nothing compatible with that headshock (from the 93 delta V 700). Kinda strange - Mendon and a Cannondale PDF I have indicate it should work. Any ideas what gives?

Edit - here's a link to the doc showing a DD60 should fit:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdr01930/DeltaVFork.pdf
    It may be that they aren't thinking about it deeply enough. I just did one, but it involves using a spring that wasn't involved in the system, cutting it down, etc. If they were expecting a direct bolt in, that may be the issue. The threads match though, so the damper can be used, just gotta use the grey matter too.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Craig. I'll give the LBS a call with that info.
    Hopefully they're feeling creative...

They did mention something about a spring when ordering parts - I just told them if it needs it get it.
    They were gonna check the condition of the existing spring and decide, but I'm not sure which way that ended up going...

Craig - If they are not up for this, I will probably ask you about just sending the thing down to you (as in, how much will you charge to "make it fit" - lol).
    Hopefully they didn't put the thing back together and return the part already...
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-22-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    I spoke to the shop - looks like the threads were OK, but they said it seemed like a completely different part or something like that.
    I'm going to stop by there shortly to talk to them in person.
    I told them about cutting the spring - I'm gonna show them the post from Craig.
    Will probably end up taking the parts and see if I can figure it out myself...
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Well, my LBS wont do the necessary modifications to make the DD60 fit my "not just old but old old" headshok. Apparently it's a really old version of the 50mm fork and, as alluded to before, the DD60 wont just drop in. The LBS wont do the needed mods due to liability, insurance concerns, yada yada yada. I think they just didn't want to be bothered. I actually had Craig talk to them on the phone and tell them what needed to be done. When we got off the phone, the LBS guys said, "wow, he really knows his stuff!". I said Yep, and told them about that old Super V Craig mod'd with a Lefty, Prophet swing arm, and 29" tires. Legendary!!
    Anyway, I'll be sending it off to Mendon CycleSmith. And Craig, I wont sue you if I fall down and bruise my face!! - lol. (many thanks, by the way!)

EDIT - they quoted my $360 + labor for a new headshok with the trade discount.
    Last edited by jdr01930; 04-22-2008 at 08:47 PM.
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

Members who have read this thread: 3