Bottom Bracket For Cannondale Super V 400- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Bottom Bracket For Cannondale Super V 400

Stock, one of these threaded (68mm x 110mm)?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=68mm+x+11 0mm+bottom+bracket&_sacat=0

I have never replaced one before. Will definitely go down to my CO-OP to use their tools.

I just need to know I am purchasing the right one. As stated above the bike is stock, it's not a Coda Crankset.

mtbr member
    Does it need to STAY stock? I would take the opportunity to upgrade the BB and crankset to SRAM GXP or Shimano Hollowgram 2.

If you want to keep your current crankset, we need to see what kind of crank is on it if you want it to match. 68mm English is right, but those come in lots of crank interfaces, and I am not familiar with the specs of the "Not a Coda" brand.
    FS: Cannondale Rush XL 24lbs

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Bottom Bracket For Cannondale Super V 400-imgp0724.jpg

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    So, cheap OEM crank, don't know if or how the rings get replaced, but your main "bolts" seem to be faux, can't quite tell.

Common enough practice for a crank that cost under $10 at factory pricing. Shimano et al versions can be bought at retail for $30 to $40.

If you want replaceable rings because you intend to use the bike with regularity, I'd say Josh is correct.

Plan to use this minimally, and the current BB is toast? Yep, pick up a $20 Shimano UN52 in the correct dimensions, and call it done.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_W View Post
    Does it need to STAY stock? I would take the opportunity to upgrade the BB and crankset to SRAM GXP or Shimano Hollowgram 2.

If you want to keep your current crankset, we need to see what kind of crank is on it if you want it to match. 68mm English is right, but those come in lots of crank interfaces, and I am not familiar with the specs of the "Not a Coda" brand.
    Okay besides the standard bb with the current crankset, which I agree is shit, what upgrade cranksets, and what bottom bracket; suggestions please.
    I like this bike and want to ride it all the time.
    (I really do not need a 29er, but if you find one for almost nothing, well you know.....)

mtbr member
    It all depends on how much you want to spend, and how many gears you want to have. If you want to keep your current 21? speed setup, I would get a Hollowtech II bb and a crankset like this one. It's not high end, but it's still a huge upgrade over what you have, should work fine with your existing derailleur, chain and cassette, and will probably knock a couple pounds off the weight of the bike.

Or if you're me, you drop way more than what you spent on the bike for full XT 1x11 conversion. The thought of all that sweet hand-crafted aluminum goodness with anything less than XT or X9 level components on it makes me sad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    It all depends on how much you want to spend, and how many gears you want to have. If you want to keep your current 21? speed setup, I would get a Hollowtech II bb and a crankset like this one. It's not high end, but it's still a huge upgrade over what you have, should work fine with your existing derailleur, chain and cassette, and will probably knock a couple pounds off the weight of the bike.

Or if you're me, you drop way more than what you spent on the bike for full XT 1x11 conversion. The thought of all that sweet hand-crafted aluminum goodness with anything less than XT or X9 level components on it makes me sad.
    Which Hollowtech II BB with which size crankset?

3 X 8 is what's on there now.

(Full conversion would be nice, but it ain't happening)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Or if you're me, you drop way more than what you spent on the bike for full XT 1x11 conversion.
    I'm with Josh on this one - I just put an XT 1x11 crank on my Super V. As part of a full 1x11 conversion. Didn't cost all that much - I'm into it for about $300.

But for a quick replacement if you are retaining the stock crankset or another square taper, that BB should work. I pulled a 68x110 out of my bike. Pretty sure that is the original BB on my bike, although I may have replaced it once already.

You will need a crank puller and a BB tool for this job. With the right tools it is pretty easy.

- John

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Still am only interested in upgrading the crankset, and the bottom bracket, and need to know which two to order that can be used together.
    Otherwise I guess a Shimano UN55. If a GPX Crankset work with the UN55 that would be fine.
    Or a nice crankset bottom bracket combo.
    Probably wouldn't order anything until late next week.

mtbr member
    Here's a BB that will work on your bike.

With Hollowtech II the spindle is on the crank, not the BB, and they come with spacers to get the chain line right, so any HtII 68mm mountain BB should work, and any (non-Fat, non-Boost) HtII mountain crank should work.

7/8/9 - speed mountain bikes all use the same teeth, so you can use a 9-speed triple crankset. I would recommend looking for one with the tooth counts for all three the same/close to what you have now so you won't have to fool with the derailleurs or chain length.

That should let you do the whole thing for under $75. Or you can just grab another 68x110 UN55 for $15-20.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Here's a BB that will work on your bike.

With Hollowtech II the spindle is on the crank, not the BB, and they come with spacers to get the chain line right, so any HtII 68mm mountain BB should work, and any (non-Fat, non-Boost) HtII mountain crank should work.

7/8/9 - speed mountain bikes all use the same teeth, so you can use a 9-speed triple crankset. I would recommend looking for one with the tooth counts for all three the same/close to what you have now so you won't have to fool with the derailleurs or chain length.

That should let you do the whole thing for under $75. Or you can just grab another 68x110 UN55 for $15-20.
    So will the Hollowtech work with the Alivio SM-BB52. I believe that is what you said in the second paragraph.
    So use this crank https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-ALI....c100008.m2219 with the SM-BB52 BB?

(My mother broke her shoulder taking her sport bra off, fun, arthritis. Surgery maybe, makes doing anything a PITA!)

mtbr member
    I have a 3 of Shimano Bottom Brackets.
    3x BB-UN52 68 110 and all take offs from Cannondale bikes from the 1998 era.
    Let me know if you want any of them.
    $10 plus postage will be fine with me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for the info Josh, really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StarBiker* View Post
    So will the Hollowtech work with the Alivio SM-BB52. I believe that is what you said in the second paragraph.
    So use this crank https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-ALI....c100008.m2219 with the SM-BB52 BB?
    Yep, that should work. To be 100% sure it's always best to go buy it at your LBS, so you can see what you are getting and return it if needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Yep, that should work. To be 100% sure it's always best to go buy it at your LBS, so you can see what you are getting and return it if needed.
    I will be checking with the CO OP hopefully.

My local LBS won't have it and will order it just like me.

And they will add a nice little premium. $$$.

I am going to check different BB's, and Cranks.

Best.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by StarBiker* View Post
    My local LBS won't have it and will order it just like me.

And they will add a nice little premium. $$$.
    Yep, bike shops are owned and operated by thieves interested only in raping your wallet and should be put out of business at all cost.

Ditto for every other brick and mortar business that makes up whatever town you call home. Including whatever business you work for, cause, ya know, you don't deserve to put food on the table either.

All hail the internet and "anything but the cheapest possible price paid or you're and idiot who's been taken advantage of".

I find this mindset detestable.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Yep, bike shops are owned and operated by thieves interested only in raping your wallet and should be put out of business at all cost.

Ditto for every other brick and mortar business that makes up whatever town you call home. Including whatever business you work for, cause, ya know, you don't deserve to put food on the table either.

All hail the internet and "anything but the cheapest possible price paid or you're and idiot who's been taken advantage of".

I find this mindset detestable.
    I thought about this response, and it's loopy.
    I am not trying to put anybody out of business, and the LBS's are not going away. They do quite well. One opened in Towson and can afford $17,000 month lease. And has multiple locations.
    They are making money hand over fist. All of them, and they have been around for decades.
    But I am concerned about my bottom line. I have that option.
    It's my money. It's called capitalism.

Again, thanks for your responses Josh. I'll figure it out.