mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Best Bang for the Buck Lefty Wheelset

Hi, looking for a new Lefty wheelset for a Rush, something strong enough to hand 1-2' drops. Want something nice, was considering Crossmax, just wondering if anybody has any other suggestions. How are the Mavic 819s? Thanks

Albany West Oz
    For my Rush I would love to see a set of Spinergy xyclones. Saving up
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Wheelset...t_125347.shtml

LJJ
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    Hi, looking for a new Lefty wheelset for a Rush, something strong enough to hand 1-2' drops. Want something nice, was considering Crossmax, just wondering if anybody has any other suggestions. How are the Mavic 819s? Thanks
    1 to 2 foot drops, on a Rush. You're mad !!

I had Crossmax SLs on mine for a while - strong as an ox. 819s have a very narrow rim, which limit your tyre width (and tubeless tyres have a much more 'balloon' shape).

LJJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LJJ

I had Crossmax SLs on mine for a while - strong as an ox. 819s have a very narrow rim, which limit your tyre width (and tubeless tyres have a much more 'balloon' shape).

LJJ
    Yeah those drops get pretty insane!!

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by LJJ

LJJ
    Come off it.
    Not to make myself sound old, because I'm not, but I used to ride a 2 foot drop on a fully rigid bike daily. I only ever destroyed one rim that way (ripped a spoke through a 5 year old rim).

I have a Rush also and it seems perfectly capable of handling itself on drops of that magnitude. Though my primary use is as a marathon bike.

OP - my Rush is an '06 2000 (see below) and it has DT-240/Omega hubs with 819's. The 819's are a great tubeless rim. They also seem very strong for essentially a cross country rim.
    <Insert Quiver>

LA CHÈVRE
    LJJ: The old Crossmax SL used the same rim as it's starting point as the XM819 so the 819 is not any narrower, in fact, 2007 and newer Crossmax SL and SLR are narrower than the 819.

NS2000X: Yes, XM819 are excellent rims, very strong, stiff and reliable but as XC rims, they are very heavy so it's not all that surprising. I think they would serve ssc280 well though. What Crossmax were you considering ssc280? SLR and drops don't rhyme well together but there are Crossmax ST Lefty now, stronger, stiffer and just a tad heavier than the SLR.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    LJJ: The old Crossmax SL used the same rim as it's starting point as the XM819 so the 819 is not any narrower, in fact, 2007 and newer Crossmax SL and SLR are narrower than the 819.

NS2000X: Yes, XM819 are excellent rims, very strong, stiff and reliable but as XC rims, they are very heavy so it's not all that surprising. I think they would serve ssc280 well though. What Crossmax were you considering ssc280? SLR and drops don't rhyme well together but there are Crossmax ST Lefty now, stronger, stiffer and just a tad heavier than the SLR.
    I vote ST also. They run a 19 wide rim which lets you get to a 2.3 tire easy. The SL are 17 mm wide. My lefty ST comes in at 760 gr (no stem). The SLR seem to come in around 700 gr.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I have 819 on my jekyll 1000 (04).I have destroyed one rim.Tire blew on donwhill section. Good solid rim, tough.They have been in shape after over meter drops and handled enduro races very well.They still straight and I think they are kind of a work horses.. At least to me

Recommend..ps.Rim weights 475gr

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotel12
    I have 819 on my jekyll 1000 (04).I have destroyed one rim.Tire blew on donwhill section. Good solid rim, tough.They have been in shape after over meter drops and handled enduro races very well.They still straight and I think they are kind of a work horses.. At least to me

Recommend..ps.Rim weights 475gr
    Add the neccessary nipple holders that are screwed into the rim, makes a real world weight of around 510gr. Still recommended rims though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I haven't been looking too hard yet, so I wasn't really considering any in particular yet. I don't do much in the way of drops but I do lots of log crossings etc. I want something fairly durable and fairly light, but I don't need anything super bomb proof durable, or ultra light either. Just something that is a good compromise of weight, durability and price.

LA CHÈVRE
    I haven't been looking too hard yet, so I wasn't really considering any in particular yet. I don't do much in the way of drops but I do lots of log crossings etc. I want something fairly durable and fairly light, but I don't need anything super bomb proof durable, or ultra light either. Just something that is a good compromise of weight, durability and price.
    Then XM819 rims, some good DT spokes, alloy nipples, a Cannondale Lefty Hub and your favorite rear hub (Hope, DT, Chri$ King, Hadley...) should be light enough, strong enough and probably more durable for a better price than pre-built wheels like Crossmax's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have 1 ride on my Spinergy Cyclone Disc's on my Rush and I love them so far. So don't many MTBR users. Check out the reviews http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Wheelset...t_125348.shtml

Bryan

mtbr member
    Simply dial 819.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    How About "Best Bang For The Buck Rear Hub" what do you think?

Certified Clyde
    I had a set of Lefty Crossmax SLs, loved them. Weren't super clyde friendly though. (I'm going to be selling them on Ebay probably for cheap, the front will need to be rebuilt with a new rim).

I'd go custom build. I got a set of Woodman front White Industries rear with Stan's Arch rims built up for me by Dave Thomas, and I love them! Bomb proof, and about the same weight as my Crossmax's.

You're probably not an uber clyde like me, but if you can afford it, custom from a wheel builder is a great option.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How About "Best Bang For The Buck Rear Hub" what do you think?
    Hope Pro II with an 819 rim.

Or, you can go XTR, but then you are locked into center locked rotors. Not always a bad thing since they are light and stiff. But, they will make your wallet light at $70 ea.

Then again, look who is talking with Magura Martas with rotors about the same price

USED2COULD
    Then XM819 rims, some good DT spokes, alloy nipples, a Cannondale Lefty Hub and your favorite rear hub (Hope, DT, Chri$ King, Hadley...) should be light enough, strong enough and probably more durable for a better price than pre-built wheels like Crossmax's.
    From everything the OP has posted so far, I agree with Dan.
    The only precaution I might add is that I hope you have a Lefty Hub with 32 (or possibly 28) holes. If so it will be a lot easier to source the front XM819 (my OE Lefty Hub rim combo is 24 hole).
    <Insert Quiver>

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Been using the Crossmax SLs for 3 years. No problems at all. No doubt that my next set will be the SLRs.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X
    From everything the OP has posted so far, I agree with Dan.
    The only precaution I might add is that I hope you have a Lefty Hub with 32 (or possibly 28) holes. If so it will be a lot easier to source the front XM819 (my OE Lefty Hub rim combo is 24 hole).
    24 hole 819 can be had from a Cdale dealer. You pay full retail, but you can get one ordered. I checked into it before I went with the X-Max ST

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How about the Crosstrail lefty wheelset? Anyone tried them yet? They are UST and also made from maxtal.

I'm riding on a set of Crosslands, I like them, but they are very heavy but seems to be bomb proof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Was going to get the Crosstrail but none of the local shops had them in stock and there was a long wait to order them in. Instead of waiting I had a set of EX 5.1's built with the Cannondale 32 spoke hub and the DT Swiss 340 rear. Came out of it with the tubeless conversion, new tires, Sram 970 cassette, and wheels for a little over $700.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    how much does that 32h lefty hub cost through an lbs, btw?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anyone knows the weight of the traditionnal 819-built Cannondale wheelset (w/ Sun Ringle rear hub) ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I got a new Lefty wheelset, built by Mike Garica at www.oddsandendos.com.

Notubes Arch rims
    DT supercomp spokes
    Cdale Lefty hub
    XTR rear

Total weight excluding skewer <1550 grams
    Mike built the wheels using my hubs for $255, shipping included.
    I bought the hubs for $225 new on the internet.
    Total cost $480

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have a brand new set of crosstrail ST's that came stock on my rize 2 that I'm selling for $250 plus shipping.

Holler if your interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Furio
    Does anyone knows the weight of the traditionnal 819-built Cannondale wheelset (w/ Sun Ringle rear hub) ?
    Anyone know the answer to this?

Members who have read this thread: 0