mtbr member
    Mar 2012

bar specs for Flash 1 29er

I am going to order a bar with some rise to it for longer rides, also maybe more like 25" wide vs the stock 27". Has anyone ordered one that may work for me? Any disadvantage to carbon? I dont think I ned it but just in case.

Is a 31.8mm bar clamp pretty standard? I found a few by crank bros like this.
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bars

31.8 is a pretty standard size.

I would look at carbon bars if I were you. They vibrate less, and generally improve the ride quality of the bike a litte. They are usually a little lighter. There are disadvantages to carbon.

1. Price Jenson had easton ea70 carbons for 70 bucks.
    2. Fragile. Carbon bars can be crushed and damaged easier then alu. They usually cannot handle bar ends.

What size stem is on your bike? My flash came with a -15 degree stem which I did not like the ride of at all. I swapped it for a shorter (90mm) flat and it works great. My plan was to switch to a riser bar but with the 0 degree stem the bike feels great. Negitive rise stems just feel weird to me.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I ordered a 3Teryx carbon bar with a 30mm rise that is 640mm so it will also not be as wide. It is listed at 170 grams or so. It wont make a big difference but I figure if I am going to replace components I might a well get good ones.

mtbr member
    Any pics?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    As soon as I get it mounted I will post a pic. BTW - how the heck does the stem get removed? I assume the flat top surface is just a cover?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I ordered a 3Teryx carbon bar with a 30mm rise that is 640mm so it will also not be as wide. It is listed at 170 grams or so. It wont make a big difference but I figure if I am going to replace components I might a well get good ones.
    PS Great bar just read up on it:-

ERYX is the world’s first compact MTB riser bar, and among the world’s lightest.

Weight: 164g
    Width: 64cm
    Clamp: 31.8mm
    Material: Carbon-fibre
    Rise: 31mm
    Up Sweep: 3°
    Back Sweep: 7°

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I put it on and it's perfect. I wish I had a before pic, but the rise is nice and its not as wide as the stock bar. I think it has more rake so the ends are pulled back more than stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bar specs for Flash 1 29er-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I also added new grips so everything I hated about this bike has now turned into love.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bar specs for Flash 1 29er-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donn12 View Post
    I also added new grips so everything I hated about this bike has now turned into love.
    Looks good, how does the turning feel now on it & going downhill vs original bars?

mtbr member
    I'm gonna follow up this topic,no need to open a new one..

700 mm oem bar on f29 3,isn't it a bit too wide ? Looking to buy a carbon bar asap and most brands are at 660/680 mm. Currently looking at ritchey super logic, i really hope I won't notice the difference.
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    simple rule is wide helps stability on 29er, take away from ease of turns....but thats why its a 29er... I think you can downsize a little and its truly a personal choice... I run a hi-mod but thats a 26..much smaller carbon bar...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was afraid this would not be narrow enough at 640mm vs 700 but its perfect. The stock bar was comically big and I hit a bar end on a tree a couple of times. I have not done a big ride yet but I will post a report later. i will also try to get a shot with the old bar on top for comparison.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    [QUOTE=Pedalfaraway;9835622]31.8 is a pretty standard size.

I would look at carbon bars if I were you. They vibrate less, and generally improve the ride quality of the bike a litte. They are usually a little lighter. There are disadvantages to carbon.

1. Price Jenson had easton ea70 carbons for 70 bucks.
    2. Fragile. Carbon bars can be crushed and damaged easier then alu. They usually cannot handle bar ends.

What size stem is on your bike? My flash came with a -15 degree stem which I did not like the ride of at all. I swapped it for a shorter (90mm) flat and it works great. My plan was to switch to a riser bar but with the 0 degree stem the bike feels great. Negitive rise stems just feel weird to me.[/QUOTE

Did you put on a Cannondale stem? any pics?
    Last edited by donn12; 11-11-2012 at 10:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
    simple rule is wide helps stability on 29er, take away from ease of turns....but thats why its a 29er... I think you can downsize a little and its truly a personal choice... I run a hi-mod but thats a 26..much smaller carbon bar...
    Used to have 680 on my Epic 29 and loved it. Better ride the bike with the oem one at first and see out it feels,no need to out another ding in my crank's budget ahead of time.
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

Members who have read this thread: 0