mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Anyone try a 27plus in a FSI?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone tried squeezing a 27.5 plus tire, maybe 2.8 width into a 29er FSI?

This may sound odd to some, but a 2.8 could work for me as winter fat bike for training and then swap back out in spring. Riding snow packed trails is way more tolerable than the trainer. I don't own a FSI yet, I have a 2013 Scalpel, which I ride on packed trails, but a little more width would be nice. With the Ai asymetrical drivetrain, I was thinking it could work similar to boost hubs for making room for the bigger tire. I've seen the new Spot hardtail can fit either 29x2.4 or 27plus wheels, and the Fsi is able to fit 29x 2.35 according to spec, so I think there is a chance. I'm pretty sure it will fit on the lefty, but the rear might be more questionable.

Besides the winter, a 27plus would work well for me for bikepacking, I use the scalpel now, but the simplicity of a hardtail with just enough squish to ease the backside from the fat tire would be great for some adventures, albeit with a slightly lower BB.

Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Never considered that but I just checked my wife's Fsi. She's got 2.25 Rocket Rons on there. There's plenty of room at the front (the Lefty 2.0 is further out than the hybrid) - about 25mm from tyre edge to lefty. Bit tight at the chainstays, though - around 8mm either side.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for checking, I didn't think about it until I saw an ad for the latest Spot that could do both sizes. I guess I could always run a 27 plus up front with a 2.4 29er in the rear for a semi-fat snow setup. 29ers do ok in the snow if its packed, but there are times I'd like more float.