mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Anyone try a 2.25" stroke shock on a Prophet MX?

From what I've read, the Prophet MX uses a 7.875x2.0 shock. Anyone try a 7.875x2.25?? I'm wondering if the wheel would hit the seat tube.
    Intense 951 Evo and Intense Carbine 29

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    read the owners manual or ask a cdale dealer, you do not want to void a good warranty

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    doesnt the regular prophet use the 7.875x2.5?
    i just bought a Fox shock with 2.25 of travel

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the regular prophet uses a 7.875x2" shock. a 2.25 will void your warranty, and probably place extra stress where it was not intended. I don't know if a tire will rub, but it's not a good idea unless you have a whole garage of bikes and just want to mess around with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    uhoh...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I heard of someone using a 2.25 stroke shock in the XC setting... it would probably lead to the tire rubbing if put in the FR setting. Just curious though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    a 650b wheel/tire will fit in the back without rub w/ standard shock, so maybe.

mnt bike laws of physics
    The 2.25" stroke shock will only work in the XC setting, but the falling rate of the suspension may not behave very well that far into the travel.
    I am buying a 216mm Monarch for my Prophet soon. I, of course, am putting it into the FR hole. May have to file the swingarm a tad, but have already done that on my Carbon Rush. Will have 63mm of stroke without running into suspension rate problems. It will have a little better pedaling since the initial change of rate will not be as pronounced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    The 2.25" stroke shock will only work in the XC setting, but the falling rate of the suspension may not behave very well that far into the travel.
    I am buying a 216mm Monarch for my Prophet soon. I, of course, am putting it into the FR hole. May have to file the swingarm a tad, but have already done that on my Carbon Rush. Will have 63mm of stroke without running into suspension rate problems. It will have a little better pedaling since the initial change of rate will not be as pronounced.
    Wow, that's a big jump from 2.25. It would be interesting to see how that works out

mnt bike laws of physics
    At full compression, the shock is 153mm, so it will not go as deep as a 200mm X 50mm shock which at full compression is 150mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Has anyone tried the 2.25 stroke shock on a Prophet in the XC setting? I was thinking about doing it, but I don't want to waste 400 bones on a rear shock if it will not work. What exactly is falling rate?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A 2.25" stroke shock should work in the XC setting although you're now dealing with 6.1" of travel with that geometry.

Falling rate means the shock doesn't need as much pressure to compress towards the end of it's travel compared to the beginning.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    i set my bike in FR today with my Fox DHX 5.0 with 2.25 of stroke.
    first thing i noticed is the swing arm comes in contract with the lower coil spring mount. after shaving the taps on the swing arm it clears fine.
    i then tried compressing the shock all the way with the shock resting on the rubber bump stop. with slight pressure on the rubber bump stop i have about 1/8" clearance between the seat post and the tire (tires are Kenda Nevegal 2.35). i'm sure if i bottomed out hardcore it will touch but so far so good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris85xlt
    i set my bike in FR today with my Fox DHX 5.0 with 2.25 of stroke.
    first thing i noticed is the swing arm comes in contract with the lower coil spring mount. after shaving the taps on the swing arm it clears fine.
    i then tried compressing the shock all the way with the shock resting on the rubber bump stop. with slight pressure on the rubber bump stop i have about 1/8" clearance between the seat post and the tire (tires are Kenda Nevegal 2.35). i'm sure if i bottomed out hardcore it will touch but so far so good.
    You're saying you got it to fit in the FR position right?

KTL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm currently using a 7.875/2.25 Roco coil in FR-position on my prophet, and after a typical ride I can see no rubbing marks on the frame, but mud and dust is wiped away -pretty close!

I'm going to put a 5-6mm plastic spacer under the rubber bump stop to reduce the shock travel to ensure no more than accepted rear frame travel.
    Last edited by KTL; 04-29-2008 at 01:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robin
    You're saying you got it to fit in the FR position right?

its fits but i think the Fox Air would of fit better because i had to file part of the swing arm to stop some rubbing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KTL
    I'm currently using a 7.875/2.25 Roco coil in FR-position on my prophet, and after a typical ride I can see no rubbing marks on the frame, but mud and dust is wiped away -pretty close!

I'm going to put a 5-6mm plastic spacer under the rubber bump stop to reduce the shock travel to ensure no more than accepted rear frame travel.

where can you find these spacers or is it something that has to be custom made?

Thanks

KTL
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris85xlt
    where can you find these spacers or is it something that has to be custom made?

Thanks
    I tested it out yesterday! I have laying around a 3mm Shore A rubber sheet, and just cut out two circular discs, fitting inside the spring diameter, with a 12mm hole in centre. To be able to mount them without dissassemble the shock, I made a splitt into the centre. These could be mounted by just removing the spring, I'm using 2 now, giving 6mm. These can of course be compressed, but not like the end stop bumper which is cellular rubber -maybe the new discs ends up at something like 4mm in maximum compression during normal use. It might be an idea to glue the two discs together an turning the split like 180 deg. apart, to make it more solid. I think the best material to use would be some plastics like nylon -as hard as possible, but still flexible enough to mount. Could also stack up thinner discs made from e.g. plastic bottles!

I had a 3 hours ride afterwords and after several 2-3 feet drops there where no signs of the tire touching the 2-3mm thick dirt layer on the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    awesome, thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0