mtbr member

Anyone know anything about the new lefty 130mm shocks?

i was reading that the new rize has a 130mm lefty shock. would that work on a prophet frame? the new lefty max 130 come in 2 types PBR or RLC but what do they do? are they like the TCP and SPV but with lock outs?

karl

mad aussie
    Lefty RLC has Fox internals, lock out and adjustable lock out threshold with rebound and a coil spring. Both would work on a Prophet, although you would drop the front end 10mm obviously.
    PBR-push button lockout, uses SRAM guts (I believe), it has one center button and an inner one. You push down the outer ring to lock out and then the center to release.
    I have had a chance to try the Fox version, kind of like a Fox in Lefty clothing, but without the bushing slop. The rep is supposed to be dropping off a Rize with PBR for me to try out.....

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    The RLC is coil sprung, the PBR is air sprung and very light, under 3 pounds for a 130mm travel fork!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Does anyone know if different spring rates are available for the RLC version, on my prophet I needed a brown spring to get her dialed.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by OMEGANOX
    Does anyone know if different spring rates are available for the RLC version, on my prophet I needed a brown spring to get her dialed.
    Yes they have different spring rates available.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    i was reading that the new rize has a 130mm lefty shock. would that work on a prophet frame? the new lefty max 130 come in 2 types PBR or RLC but what do they do? are they like the TCP and SPV but with lock outs?

karl
    I am putting the new PBR on my Prophet with a 650b wheel/Neo-moto tire up front. Will have the same head angle and BB height. The handling will be improved and it will be nearly a pound lighter.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Does anyone know if there is any project of a Lefty Max with variable travel like 100-130?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I doubt it, it would make them even more complicated and Cannondale seems to be a fan of KISS when it comes to most things....don't think it's really needed anyway for any of the bikes that come with leftys.

Fox RLC=WARM MELTED BUTTER. I almost ate the one I rode, it was that good.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ordered a carbon Rize 2 that will come with the new FOX Lefty Max and I was thinking on switching it with PBR model because of the weight difference. What do you think about it? I ask because I'm not sure that the PBR is gonna be the sweetest 130 lefty. Has anyone tried both?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've only ridden the fox....I can say that a coil with fox internals is going to be smoother than anything based on RS's solo air system. I'd say keep the fox lefty unless weight is a big issue. Also, the PBR Carbon is lighter, but I doubt the regular PBR (like on the Rize 3) is going to be (much) lighter than the carbon fox.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Everyone at Cannondale is telling me that the PBR feels just like a coil sprung fork. Because it is about 1/2 lbs(220g) lighter, I ordered one for my Prophet. The main thing it will be missing that the Fox offers is the adjustability - such as the lockout blowoff, and compression adjuster.
    If anything though I would want a high speed compression adjuster not the low speed one the Fox has. That is sort of redundant IMO since you have a lockout and its blowoff adjuster. A high speed adjuster would allow one to open it up for the flats and fast climbs to maintain momentum then ramp it up a little for the downhill to reduce bottoming. Anyway, the knob is too small to adjust on the fly which renders it pretty useless since you wouldn't be able to adjust it for varying terrain unless you are stopping all the time.
    I found the TA feature on the TALAS fork to be a pretty nice one, but I would rather the bike be ready for anything that comes its way. Unless you ride trails that go up for a long time then go down for a long time, the travel adjuster can be a hindrance because you are constantly having to change it at the bottom of steep climbs or at the top of steep downhills risking crashing as your hand is off the handlebar.
    Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    okay i want to try telling you everything that everybody else has already told you but i dont know the technicality of the the shock, but i do know one thing IT FEELS SO NICE!!!!! thats all that i know

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks dan, do you happen to know how many springs are offered, how they are coded and which rates will be used in which sizes, I'm speaking only of carbon 2's now.
    BTW it arrived this AM

mtbr member
    From the desk of the "terminology professor"
    Just a reminder ....
    A shock is located on the rear of a bike , a fork is on the front .
    The Lefty is a fork (at least half of one) , not a shock .

That's like calling a pickup truck a car .

LA CHÈVRE
    As long as we are playing with words, technically, the Lefty is not a fork since a fork needs at least two legs. Isn't the Lefty a strut?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    a shock is a shock absorber, which the lefty certainly is. and yes, it's technically a strut too. I hate technicalities.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    That's like calling a pickup truck a car .
    What about an El Camino?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    or Ford Ranchero?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Does anyone have the length of Lefty forks? I'm specially needed for the length specs of the Carbon SL and the new 130mm PBR. Thanks

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by schuster_md
    Does anyone have the length of Lefty forks? I'm specially needed for the length specs of the Carbon SL and the new 130mm PBR. Thanks
    Hello Schuster, I assume you are asking about the axle to crown measurements.
    My SL measures 472mm after bearing reset and I talked to a tech at Cdale who was kind enough to measure the PBR and he said it was 500mm.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Hello Schuster, I assume you are asking about the axle to crown measurements.
    My SL measures 472mm after bearing reset and I talked to a tech at Cdale who was kind enough to measure the PBR and he said it was 500mm.
    Thanks a lot for the information. I ordered a large Rize 2 bike and I'm planning to replace the 130mm Fox with a PBR fork. The problem is that the PBR will not be available as an aftermarket piece until a couple of months so I'm gonna have to use the bike with a Carbon SL in the meantime (my Cdle local bike dealer will receive the Fox fork and credit me the ca$h)

mnt bike laws of physics
    Sounds awesome Schu! Your HA should be very close to 70 degrees, SA 74 and BBheight will be about 12.6" or 320mm.
    BB will be a lilttle low because the Rize requires more sag than the Rush due to its rising rate suspension linkage.

I have a Carbon PBR on order due this month. It is sort of a gamble since I have never tried it, but I was checking the Rockshox reviews and the World Cup version of the Boxxer (which is RS's top of the line downhill fork) uses Solo Air (the 2 lower models use a coil spring). The reviews for it are all 5 chillies
    Hope the Lefty version is as sweet. Should be plush don't you think? Everyone at Cdale is saying so anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    the dual air is infinitely better, particularly for small bump compliance, but maybe the marriage of the solo air with the lefty shape will make it better than the normal rockshox solo air forks (that are meant for trail riding)

Dr Gadget is IN
    Just subscribing because I KNOW I will be needing this info sometime soon.

Any net sources for info?
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    the dual air is infinitely better, particularly for small bump compliance, but maybe the marriage of the solo air with the lefty shape will make it better than the normal rockshox solo air forks (that are meant for trail riding)
    infinitely?

really?

Dr Gadget is IN
    Well, I answered my own question:

http://www.cannondale.com/tech_cente...ion/lefty.html has the latest manuals for the PBR and RLC Leftys. And after scanning thru them, they are excellent! Complete parts breakdown, to include PN's.

Added them to my library just because. Here's the direct links:

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf

Now if they can get crackin' on a 29er spacer set and or an actual 130mm 29er version!
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    infinitely?

really?
    really. If the solo air ranks a zero and the dual air ranks a ten for small bump compliance, I'd say it's infinitely. Since you are getting one, do you know the MSRP of the new lefty max's? The 110 Fox is $1400 MSRP, I shudder to think what the max is going to be.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    really. If the solo air ranks a zero and the dual air ranks a ten for small bump compliance, I'd say it's infinitely. Since you are getting one, do you know the MSRP of the new lefty max's? The 110 Fox is $1400 MSRP, I shudder to think what the max is going to be.
    $1400 I think, but I payed quite a bit less than that. My dealer couldn't find out pricing from anyone at Cdale. They didn't even know anyone had one yet. She said they are only on bikes fo far. Our Rep pulled some strings for me - very cool dude.
    I picked up the Carbon PBR this Friday and rode it twice. Mabey it's a little too plush, but any suspension needs to be broken in before a complete report can be given.

Small bump performance is on par or better than the Lefty 140 TPC which is the standard of plushness. Haven't ridden a RS since the Psylo, so don't know how they feel, but the PBR absorbs straight on bumps of all size better than the Fox 120 air fork and at least as good as the 140 TPC Max or 140mm TALAS. I only landed 2' jumps so far but it absorbed very well. High speed damping is superb. As good as anything I have ridden.

The slow speed damping is too fast for my taste so far. I put in 175 psi even though it calls for 120psi for my weight. Quite a bit more than the usual. I always put in a little more than is called for because of the speeds that I ride. Anyway It seemed to sink down in the corners too far but like I said it is too early to judge any behaviors yet. My SL definitely improved after break-in, and I was able to lower the pressure in it from 150psi to about 130psi.

There's no way to adjust compression damping that I know of except to change to a thicher oil which would affect the high speed as well. I may have to do this. Unlike the SL, there is no options that I know of for the compression shim stack.
    I would like to change the shim stack to slow down the slow speed damping as it is now. Anyway, a full ride report in a week or 2.
    Weight - 2.96lbs.
    3.22 lbs. with steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yogi -

This:

shows a pretty similar looking damper to the old SL, with shim stacks that can be played with....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Pbr

The PBR has a piston with individual compression and rebound shim stacks. They can be tuned to your liking.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Thanks Glen, I had been looking at that and noticed there wasn't any options for the shims.
    However, the plushness is quickly winning me over. The small bump compliance is so nice. Like any new bike, suspension or any major change to a bike, you need to adjust your riding a little or just get used to the change. I went out again yesturday (the wind speeds had finally slowed) and the PBR had me going faster through the rough stuff than the SL had. It just eats it up.

mtbr member
    How would a Carbon PBR 130mm shortened to 100mm travel go on a GF Hi-Fi Pro 29er with the G2 geometry. Can someone tell me the rake and a/c measurement i've seen 500 and 506mm quoted.
    Cheers all
    I maybe getting older but i refuse to grow up!

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieinswitzerland
    How would a Carbon PBR 130mm shortened to 100mm travel go on a GF Hi-Fi Pro 29er with the G2 geometry. Can someone tell me the rake and a/c measurement i've seen 500 and 506mm quoted.
    Cheers all
    I have both the PBR and the Fox F29 100mm and they have the same A-C measurements so the HA would not change at all. The rake of the PBR is 45mm. The Hi-Fi has a 71 degree HA and its steering is quick in stock form.
    I personally think the PBR would be great on it. The great things about it is you only need to reduce the travel by 20mm and there would be no issues at all, so you would have 110mm of travel and you would drop at least 200 grams if you went all out with the carbon model.
    BTW, all forks have a range of A-C measurements depending on how much air you put into them. That is why you will see 500-506mm. The same with the F29. It will be somewhere in that same range.

mtbr member
    I have both the PBR and the Fox F29 100mm and they have the same A-C measurements so the HA would not change at all. The rake of the PBR is 45mm. The Hi-Fi has a 71 degree HA and its steering is quick in stock form.
    I personally think the PBR would be great on it. The great things about it is you only need to reduce the travel by 20mm and there would be no issues at all, so you would have 110mm of travel and you would drop at least 200 grams if you went all out with the carbon model.
    BTW, all forks have a range of A-C measurements depending on how much air you put into them. That is why you will see 500-506mm. The same with the F29. It will be somewhere in that same range.
    Hey thanks for the quick answer yogiprophet, thats what i wanted to hear.
    Cheers

mnt bike laws of physics
    Oh, one thing I forgot to say. I don't thnk it will fit. At least the regular sized PBR won't fit. As far as I remember, the Hi-Fi was a few millimeters too long with the headset bearings. Just wanted you to make sure and take a measurement.
    If not, Cannondale does make a PBR that is 1"(25.4mm) longer for their XL sized bikes. That one would work with about 22mm of spacers.

Real Estate Guru
    Hey Yogi,, congrats on the 40-49 expert NM overall champ for 08. You were smoking this year. See you next year.

Rich

mtbr member
    Oh, one thing I forgot to say. I don't thnk it will fit. At least the regular sized PBR won't fit. As far as I remember, the Hi-Fi was a few millimeters too long with the headset bearings. Just wanted you to make sure and take a measurement.
    If not, Cannondale does make a PBR that is 1"(25.4mm) longer for their XL sized bikes. That one would work with about 22mm of spacers.
    Hey yogi
    thanks for the tip i will look into it.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the aluminum pbr - and i love it. I really don't care too much about lockout blowoff - if you're going to lock it out, it shouldn't be in a place where you'll hit so big a drop it needs to blowoff in my opinion, so I lock it out on parts where i NEED it and otherwise just let it be - it doesn't sag too much, and feels really great.

Like yogi, I also was able to lower the pressure after 3-4 good rides on the PBR, and now it feels wonderful. I haven't ridden the RLC version of course, but hear decent things about it too except for some factory issues. Personally, I'm small so I don't need a coil and the weight savings plus simplicity of the PBR is a winner for me since I'll be DIYing all maintenance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieRich
    Hey Yogi,, congrats on the 40-49 expert NM overall champ for 08. You were smoking this year. See you next year.

Rich
    Hey thanks Rich!

Yea, I smoked all my bacon on those races. After the Horney Toad, my body decided enough and I've been in recovery ever since. About next year, I'm taking a break from all but the very local stuff if that. I'll always ride, but racing is something that ends eventually. Its been fun for sure...

Bret

mtbr member
    The PBR sounds like a good thing and the normal lefty does fit the HiFi so i will be ordering soon. After those bills are paid i might check out about building a lefty (mavic) hub into a crossmax 29er wheelset.
    Anyway thanks everyone for the help.
    Cheers

mnt bike laws of physics
    Awesome Aussie, Please keep us posted as to how it works out.

mtbr member
    Will do yogi
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Well finally it's happened,first ride today,fanbloodytastic

Thanks all for the imformation and tips
    Last edited by aussieinswitzerland; 01-14-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0