Anybody have experience shipping Overseas??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Anybody have experience shipping Overseas??

Hi, just curious if anybody has experience sending bike or frames overseas to Europe? What is the best shipping service and what should you expect to pay? Thanks

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    Hi, just curious if anybody has experience sending bike or frames overseas to Europe? What is the best shipping service and what should you expect to pay? Thanks

3 to 500, via UPS. Worked fine, but not cheap!
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yeah I know, I have people contact me and they think you can ship a bike box to Europe for like $75. The when I look it up it's a few hundred bucks.

mtbr member
    I payed $75 for a big frame with a lot of padding. It was a regular bike box so if you add all the components in it shouldn't be more than $200 USPS. Did you know that USPS have a shipping calculator at usps.com? Also bring the empty box in first to make sure they take that size. You just never know and rules do change.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

Ridin' dirty!
    I shipped a Large Prophet 1000 to Germany, but due to USPS size restrictions I hat to split the bike up and ended up shipping it in 2 separate boxes for about $75.- each.
    One contained the frame with swing arm in place but in the "up" position with the rear shock and lefty removed. Some heavier components (cranks, etc.) were inside that box too.
    The other box included the rims, tires, seat and some other light stuff.
    UPS and Fedex is waaaaay too expensive!!!
    I always ship USPS and never had any problems.
    Size restrictions apply to APO (Military address overseas) too. That used to be different, but oh well....
    The only bad thing is that you can ony insure each box with a max. value of $500.- So if the bike gets damaged or gets lost you're screwed!
    Last edited by cdalemaniac; 03-18-2008 at 05:55 PM.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    I shipped a Large Prohet 1000 to Germany, but due to USPS size restrictions I hat to split the bike up and ended up shipping it in 2 separate boxes for about $75.- each.
    One contained the frame with swing arm in place but in the "up" position with the rear shock and lefty removed. Some heavier components (cranks, etc.) were inside that box too.
    The other box included the rims, tires, seat and some other light stuff.
    UPS and Fedex is waaaaay too expensive!!!
    I always ship USPS and never had any problems.
    Size restrictions apply to APO (Military address overseas) too. That used to be different, but oh well....
    The only bad thing is that you can ony insure each box with a max. value of $500.- So if the bike gets damaged or gets lost you're screwed!

It's too big for USPS. It's a Scalpel, kind of hard to split apart and the quotes for UPS and Fedex are like $400-$500. Never knew it was so expensive.

Ridin' dirty!
    If you put the frame only, without the fork into a regular bike box and then make it smaller it will fit.
    Just make sure that you don't come over the maximum allowed dimension of: Max.length 60", max. length plus girth 108"
    Then put the wheels and everything else into another box which you also have to cut/modify in order to stay within the size limits.
    Sometimes the post office will accept a regular bike box as well if it is not too heavy. Once a clerk accepts it and then later someone checks and the box is 10" or so bigger than allowed they're SOL. Once accepted they can't turn it back later!
    I only had to move the swingarm up on the Prophet, since the box was extra wide. if the box is wider than normal it can't be too long.
    If you stay within the above mentioned dimensions you'll be fine!
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

fella
    Recently I got a medium Caffeine frame from Puerto Rico. It was shipped to Russia using USPS for about $140-$150
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Agree with Cdalemaniac.
    USPS is the cheapest and i think the slowest one, but if you are not in emergency to get something the money difference is big.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    if you take the USA prices, and recalculate them to EURO (low exchange rate), a USA scalpel is in comparison with a EU scalpel a bargain!
    for example: Scalpel Carbon Team at costs in Belgium 7,299.00 EUR (catalog prize), which is 11,522.93 USD...
    If I'm correct, you'll pay in the USA 6,899.99 USD (catalog prize). That's crazy, if you consider that a plane ticket Brussels-New York and back will cost you appr. 750 USD...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Now that's a reason for my wife to do that trip to NY

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by prasinopodilato
    Now that's a reason for my wife to do that trip to NY
    I was thinking exactly the same.
    Especially since the all Jet Black Scalpel 2 with Lefty Speed Fox RLC is simply not available here in Europe (no black scalpels and no Lefty Speed Fox RLC in the 2008 EU Cannondale catalog. Shame on C...)

Members who have read this thread: 0