mtbr member

Any one got a 29er yet?

I've been riding w/ a lot of folks lately who are on 29ers. I was almost sure I wanted to get a rush but I thought trying a 29er would be fun, and since I'm so used to hardtails anyway it'd be easier to adjust riding styles.

has anyone gotten a caffeine 29er yet? I have to say I'm pretty dissapointed how c'dale has spec'd this bike (and others), bb5 brakes? mid level sram? and what's up w/ a lefty w/ 80mm of travel? How does this differ from the headshock? If I did end up going this route I'd have to almost totally strip the bike down and put some proper parts on it. I like the look of the bike but I was hoping it came spec'd a bit higher. I'm sure the price would be fair but the more I look at other companies the more I realize how badly c'dales are becoming w/ their part specs at similarly priced bikes.

still, their frames are gorgeous. best welds in the industry... wish I could just buy the frame!

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, you have to limit the travel on the Lefty otherwise the tire would hit the bottom clamp. Not good! And the bigger wheels smooth out the ride too so less travel is needed.

As for the specs, you get what you pay for. Higher end parts would make a more expensive bike, obvious, I know. It's a shame there is only one model though but I'm guessing that it's just a start, like a test to see if there is such a market (there probably is). Remember, it's the first year for Cannondale in the big wheels market. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bigger 29er range from Cannondale next year... and a 1FG 29er (rumor is it will come).

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Sneak Peek

Large wheels and sub par components, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    Large wheels and sub par components, the more things change the more they stay the same.
    And it's a single speed... but no Lefty though.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cannondale has definitely placed this bike where they think they will sell the most. Remember, they are still testing the waters. If you consider the cost of the Lefty, I think the bike stacks up well against others out there. I think the fact that it has a Lefty will give the F29 a big advantage in the market.

For those wanting a higher end spec, they do offer a frame in their aftermarket program. The frame will come with a reducer kit to allow you to put the alloy or carbon 110 mm Lefty's on there. Imagine how light you could go...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Does anyone think there is a Rush 29er in the future?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakehead Fish
    Does anyone think there is a Rush 29er in the future?
    Not for now, that's for sure. Maybe when the Caffeine 29er is a smashing success.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Well where does the C29 fall in terms of spec VS a lefty equipped hartail at $1600 (F800)?
    CDT

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    f2 uses Shimano spec. The f29 is SRAM. I rode a stock f29 demo for 2 months now. It rips. It is my favorite bike ever. I shred on nasty New England single track nearly every day and I feel as though this bike has improved my riding 10 fold (I hung up my fully and haven't touched it since). The spec works for the bike. Everything works on the bike. I wouldn't question it. Just ride the sh!t out of it and when it finally blows up then you can slap that XTR crank and hydros you wanted on there.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Well.....My 29er HT doesn't say Cannondale, and it's got a Lefty with 110mm of travel, but 29ers rock. And the Lefty is hands down the best fork to 29erize your ride. I actually just put a 26 on the back of my 29er, made for a nice quick accelerating ride. Big wheels are fun. Hey Coal River, how'd you know my other big wheeler is a 52 incher? =
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    f2 uses Shimano spec. The f29 is SRAM. I rode a stock f29 demo for 2 months now. It rips. It is my favorite bike ever. I shred on nasty New England single track nearly every day and I feel as though this bike has improved my riding 10 fold (I hung up my fully and haven't touched it since). The spec works for the bike. Everything works on the bike. I wouldn't question it. Just ride the sh!t out of it and when it finally blows up then you can slap that XTR crank and hydros you wanted on there.
    looking to get the complete bike and just swap parts from my current ride. that'd work out I reckon.

how's the color look in person? got any outdoor pics?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by plume
    looking to get the complete bike and just swap parts from my current ride. that'd work out I reckon.

how's the color look in person? got any outdoor pics?
    There you go:

The picture was taken by mtbr's father, Francois and he also took a spin on it and was impressed by the ride.
    I would take the silver one.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-27-2006 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't have one yet, but I'm dying to test ride one. I just need to find a bike shop in my area that will rent me one for the day, so I can see how it does on the trails.

Maybe I don't want to know how well it performs. My wife would kill me if I bought another bike.

As far as the spec list goes, as others have mentioned, Cannondale is just testing the market with a mid-range model. But the three most expensive parts of the bike--the frame, fork, and wheelset--are all very good to excellent, and that level of quality would be hard to find on another bike in that price range (especially the fork). Everything else is decent (not top of the line, but not junk either).

likes to ride bikes
    I think it's a pretty smokin' deal for a 29er with a Lefty, even with the lower end components. Plus if you wait until May when Cannondale does their 15% off sale, you can get it for like $1350!!!

That's when I bought my Rush this year, and when I plan to wait to get my Caffeine 29er. $1350 puts it $100 more than a Haro Mary XC with similar components, but has a Reba instead of the Lefty.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins
    I think it's a pretty smokin' deal for a 29er with a Lefty, even with the lower end components. Plus if you wait until May when Cannondale does their 15% off sale, you can get it for like $1350!!!

That's when I bought my Rush this year, and when I plan to wait to get my Caffeine 29er. $1350 puts it $100 more than a Haro Mary XC with similar components, but has a Reba instead of the Lefty.
    Cannondale's Sale? Or the semi-typical LBS closeout?
    My one shop does a 20% off every June...mmmmmmmm 20%........

CDT

mtbr member
    Theres no C'Dale 29er on the European website, really fancy one too

mtbr member
    May 2005

A C-note is a small amount

to save to penalize oneself through the winter by going without one of these hotties. They may not even be available in May. Best to pony up and forego the wait. Xmas will be the most sympathetic time for spouse-approval. folks'll understand once they throw a leg over one. Just re-read Bad Ronald's ride impression/comments above to get an idea of the way one might feel at two months in.

The Caffeine's burly new geometry features oversized seat tube, seat stays so the F29 really handles the additional wheel leverage, bb flex with flying colors.

w3rd.
    Any have an idea on the weight of a F29?

Thanks to parents, money, and a worn-out Fuel, I don't think I'd want a Scapel 3 if I can a F29 for much less.

My biggest fears are weight, and how much I am going to miss the Fuel (FS feel I'm talking about), but I figured that it's a hardtail so it should weigh somewhat less, and the 29 inch wheels should make some kind of soft-tail feel going.

Any of my ideas sound true?

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Stock it is 28 - 29 lbs. The wheels are a little heavy and the tires are pretty heavy so if you swapped rims out to say the stans rims you could save 400 grams between the front and rear right there. Those really light parts don't pass cdale testing so unfortunately you won't see them on any stock bikes...

likes to ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Cannondale's Sale? Or the semi-typical LBS closeout?
    My one shop does a 20% off every June...mmmmmmmm 20%........

CDT
    My LBS said it was an annual Cannondale thing around Memorial day. Not sure if that's true or not, but he said they are doing it again in '07 so....

I think it's worth the wait to save $250 though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rattmobbins

yeah my shop is supposed to pick up the line soon. I think as soon as I can order one, I will. I'll be swapping the cheesey sram stuff with some xt goodness, perfect next hardtail for me I thinks! As far as all the important parts, you're right. I just know that I'd eat up the lower end shifty bits too fast. I'll get my weight savings there instead of a lighter rim.

I'm actually torn between colors though. at first I liked the bright blue/orange, but I think the silver would have more staying power. My sobe colored f600 is getting hard to look at now!

another problem is that I got to do a very short test ride on a rush... omg what a sweet sweet bike that is. i just think it's slightly out of my price range now unfortunately... some day. I'm hoping the bigger tires will be a little more forgiving for my epic all day rides in wnc.

w3rd.
    yeah my shop is supposed to pick up the line soon. I think as soon as I can order one, I will. I'll be swapping the cheesey sram stuff with some xt goodness, perfect next hardtail for me I thinks! As far as all the important parts, you're right. I just know that I'd eat up the lower end shifty bits too fast. I'll get my weight savings there instead of a lighter rim.

I'm actually torn between colors though. at first I liked the bright blue/orange, but I think the silver would have more staying power. My sobe colored f600 is getting hard to look at now!

another problem is that I got to do a very short test ride on a rush... omg what a sweet sweet bike that is. i just think it's slightly out of my price range now unfortunately... some day. I'm hoping the bigger tires will be a little more forgiving for my epic all day rides in wnc.

I'm with you on the Rush part. However, I think the 29er is a great deal. Having raced a Fuel and hated it, I'm still kinda worried about riding a hardtail, but I think it'll better me in the long run.

And as for the colors... I'd go with the blue/orange. I think its more eye-catching than the raw. The raw makes it look like a 1FG.

My 2 cents.

Jun 2005
    .........................I'm actually torn between colors though. at first I liked the bright blue/orange, but I think the silver would have more staying power. My sobe colored f600 is getting hard to look at now!...........................................

Bite your tongue ....I love the Sobe color scheme...Anyone see this one in person?
    ---> Caffeine 2<---
    I almost want a Sobe for garage queen status

CDT

Members who have read this thread: 0