siv
    mtbr member

Any 200 pounders running a red spring in their Lefty?

I have the black in with like no preload, maybe one turn and I dont even have 1 inch of sag. I was curious if anyone in this weight range is running a red spring? I do some technical slow switchback stuff with rocks and Im worried that the red spring will dive to much and throw me over the bars. I already have a red to switch out, just wondering if I need to give it another try now that I have higher rise bars and stem.

mtbr member
    I'm running a red spring and I weight about 175. I have very little preload and I barely get the 1 inch of sag that's recommended. My shock is very soft.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm at about 180 loaded for riding and I tried a red but hated the springy feeling so I went back to black.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you have the SPV version, then the red spring is correct. If you have the TPC or FFD then the red spring is too soft. Well, unless you like fork dive when you hit the brakes and going over the bars.

I think the red spring range is to 170 lbs with the FFD or TPC

I'm 180 and had the red, but had to be carefull of fork dive. I switched to black and the fork dive is gone and the control is better.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm about 200 in gear and run and XL prophet, TPC and red spring with good preload. There have been times that it has dove on me (my fault) but the red was the only way I get any sag at all. The XL frame has a really long wheelbase so I don't have much weight on the front tire but as is it really eats up the roots and rocks on the tight single track I've been riding. I'd say try it and see if it works for you.

siv
    mtbr member
    I ride a large with a setback seatpost because I feel cramped and over the bars too much. Maybe I should go back to the red and try more preload than last time. Any advice on SPV settings? With the current black I run about 50 psi and the nut is all the way out (toward the ground). Being at 200 lbs Im thinking around 80 psi and the nut turned halfway in?

mtbr member
    Hi! Can someone tell what are those spring weights and colours? I can't open from the tech center.My lefty tpc+ ti spring 2004 has red spring and my weight is about 200(90kg).On races it weels little soft but its comfy at least..Allthough I haven't bottomed it. And new spring costs about 160euro...

Members who have read this thread: 0