mtbr member

Another worthless thread by EGF168

As some of you may have noticed, I have too much time on my hands (3.33 posts per day, a blog and a Flickr gallery)

I was reading my subscribed issue of Bike magazine when I passed the GT and the Mongoose ads, I was innocently drooling over the new GT Force, when I decided to take a closer look at the beautiful workmanship that went into making this magazine, I was just looking at the wonderful gluing techniques they use when shock horror (not really) I noticed that since the last time I looked into the crack between the pages, GT and Mongooseís ownership had changed to THE CANNONDALE SPORTS GROUP.

Like I say I have too much time on my hands, and apologies if you too look into the crack between pages and have already noticed.

LA CH»VRE
    It was announced when Dorel bought Cannondale, they created the Cannondale Sports Group that will feature mid and high end brands aimed toward the independant bike dealers, their other brands will stay under the Pacific banner and are aimed toward big floored commerces like Wal-Mart, Costco and such...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apparently my time didnít stretch to reading that then, oh well, it sounds a lot better than Pacific.

In that case I will change the subject,

Did they fiddle with the geometry on the Rize to get the 140mm fork on the lower models? How much of an improvement would I get from lowering it by 10mm?

Like catnip for people
    I too, did not realise that...

Sitting here, pondering...

How having Mongoose and GT associated with Cannondale, could ever be a good thing....

Also pondering how Mongoose could ever be called a high end brand...

LA CH»VRE
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    I too, did not realise that...

Sitting here, pondering...

How having Mongoose and GT associated with Cannondale, could ever be a good thing....

Also pondering how Mongoose could ever be called a high end brand...
    It doesn't matter much to consumers how the brands are organized in the Dorel family, they are just organised purely for buisness purposes.

And I said mid and high end brands. Cannondale is the top end brand of the group, Mongoose is mid-end and they are slowly bringing back GT from a mid to a high end brand but still below Cannondale.

LA CH»VRE
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Apparently my time didnít stretch to reading that then, oh well, it sounds a lot better than Pacific.

In that case I will change the subject,

Did they fiddle with the geometry on the Rize to get the 140mm fork on the lower models? How much of an improvement would I get from lowering it by 10mm?
    10mm doesn't change much and the geometry is more related to the axle to crown measurement than the actual travle of the fork.

mtbr member
    Well, my LBS says they have the large in stock so I will go waste some of their time as I am trying my hardest not to buy a bike from them.

LA CH»VRE
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Well, my LBS says they have the large in stock so I will go waste some of their time as I am trying my hardest not to buy a bike from them.
    When you have too much free time, you should get out and ride, that's what I would do but I'm stuck at work.

mtbr member
    I did today for a few hours, Iím off work for the week, had a nice cup of hot choc with cake at the Peaslake village store (general hangout of MTBersin my area). Took me 10 minuets of hard use on the brakes to get them to work like brakes properly but it still turned out to be a good ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    man, I hate that EGF guy. He smells of feet and specialized.

j/k. It's okay to drool over the GT Force...If I'd been quicker, I would have gotten one in November, but no, now 6 months later I'm still riding my POS hardtail, hoping for a Rize sometime this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    nice tires!

mtbr member
    EGF-man, when do you gonna get rid of that SJ of yours? If you wanna boycott Specialized, start with your own bike! I already got rid of mine and got me a Yeti 575 in its place. Best thing I did. Well, buying my Prophet was also the best thing I did, so I'm kinda happy here. Do the same! If you are looking at a GT Force, just go for it. You'll be WAY better served in a GT than in a Specialized, that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Iím working towards it, Iíve already put a huge dent in my Spesh helmet and replaced it with that nice mud colour Bell Variant. Also if you look at the saddle you will see I have already got a new saddle for whatever bike I buy as the SDG is my favourite, if I went for a white Rize it would be matching. I like the GT Force but am a bit worried about the weight with that I-drive system on the BB. But Iím slowly narrowing down my list of wanted bikes and I promise that with in half hour of me getting a new bike the Stumpy will go.

Now, how do I smell of feet? I assure you I was wearing brand new socks on that ride, and not just socks either, Trek socks!

Thanks, those tires are pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Well this is great, when I heard that Evans had the Rize 4 in white in stock in my size large, I thought I would go up there and have a look at it, perhaps even try it or at the very least speak to them and ask them to get one out on the floor so I can try it in future or at the minimum just have a look at it.

What I found was that they had 5 in stock, they hadnít built up any of them in any of their shops apart from one in Gateshead which is about 300 miles away last time I looked at the map. Now I went to their HQ so I thought that would be the place to go where they would most likely have one, but no, the only built up one is in some store thatís in the middle of nowhere.

But thatís not what made me really annoyed, there best excuse was floor space when the shop is half empty.

And now it gets even better, they wont build one up or even let you look at one let alone test it without putting a deposit down which is ridiculous.

I will try to find another dealer with one in stock, but I have written this rubbish in the hope that someone will read this from Cannondale (unlikely) also to say why I earlier said I didnít want to buy a bike from this shop and also to have a rant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nothing to do? So why not offer to build one up for them?

Members who have read this thread: 0